Author Topic: pattern test  (Read 507 times)

Offline presdme

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
pattern test
« on: February 15, 2008, 11:19:02 AM »
My pattern is posted in the pattern test topic. Would someone that knows please look at it and give me some info on the 40 yard target.  Specifically the voids in the pattern. Normal or not, how to fix if not normal. THANKS AND GOOD HUNTIN!!

Offline presdme

• Avid Poster
Re: pattern test
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2008, 11:18:06 AM »
 ;D will someone HELP me please!!

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2008, 11:44:44 AM »
I wish I could help buddy but I am not much of a turkey hunter, yet....several things to help with patterning is to try different shells or shot sizes, many times a standard load will pattern better than a magnum load. Also there is sometimes a problem with to tight of a choke opening up the pattern. All  I can suggest if you are not happy with those patterns, and they look as if any turkey that put his head and neck in those patterns would be dinner, try some other loads and choke tubes. There are other things that some have done, lengthening the forcing cone, polishing/burnishing the barrel, and back boring the choke are the most popular....<><....:) 
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline DaveH

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2008, 11:48:48 AM »
There is an old post I made long ago about burishing the bore of a shotgun.  if you can't find it here do a google search for burishing a shotgun bore and it will give you all you need to know it takes about an hour of hard work but it is worth it belive me.
Dave H.
US Army SFC(Ret)

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2008, 12:22:32 PM »
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2008, 01:20:31 PM »
I have burnished a few of my most used shotgun barrels after seeing that post a while ago. I has not hurt with slugs but I am not sure if it helped. I have not tried them for patterning of shot shells after I did them. It will not hurt, that for sure, and it is not hard to do....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline presdme

• Avid Poster
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2008, 09:53:14 AM »
THANKS ALL, I will try burnishing my barrell and when the conditions are the same Ill try again. Thanks again and GOOD HUNTIN!!