Author Topic: Reivew of a tragic accident  (Read 650 times)

Offline rifleshooter2

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Reivew of a tragic accident
« on: February 21, 2008, 10:23:15 AM »
I just found this last night. It looks like a review of a cannon accident that happened a few years ago. Good reading

http://0-www.cdc.gov.pugwash.lib.warwick.ac.uk/niosh/face/stateface/or/03or020.html

Andy
Save Legionville

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
Re: Reivew of a tragic accident
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2008, 04:14:33 AM »
Reports on that accident have been around for a while, but this is the most detailed I have seen...everyone should read it.  Lots of lesson to be learned.  Validates the safety principles we advocate here.

Offline JeffG

• Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2008, 06:32:57 AM »
Validates the safety principles we advocate here.

+1
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff

Offline cannonmn

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2008, 04:03:44 PM »
I attended a camp which used a venerable Winchester 10 GA. blank shotgun shell-firing cannon for the flag salutes.  These can be fired safely with minimal training.  I have heard of one accident only with one of these, when someone picked up one that was loaded and it accidentally fired with his hand or arm close to the muzzle blast.  He was painfully injured but recovered.  The reproduction Winchester cannons were about $400. last time I checked.  This is a small investment compared to large medical bills and lawsuits that result from a cannon accident.

I do not recommend using a muzzle-loadiing cannon in any situation where the crew changes frequently, or is young, or is under pressure to fire rapidly, such as for the extra point when the gun is used to signal football scores at a game.

This is one of the reasons I recommended retirement of the Dahlgren boat howitzer (muzzle-loader) formerly used at US Naval Academy football games.  I recommended the Academy use a breechloading salute gun instead.  Eventually they did this.  The cannon crew turned over people every year, and never did get adequate training.  There was pressure to reload instantly to be ready for the extra point, and that worried me as much as anything they did.