Author Topic: New member of the extended family on layaway  (Read 388 times)

Offline aulrich

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
New member of the extended family on layaway
« on: February 12, 2008, 12:24:09 PM »
I say extended family since this one is mine only on paper, on the weekend one of my sons (soon to be 12) decided to use up his Christmas money and put it down on a shotgun a 12ga topper deluxe. The fella has a hankering to learn how to wing shoot. He had fired my 870 12ga in the fall although he was pushed around alot he was undeterred. I went 12 gauge for a couple of reasons mostly for the long term usability I know he wants to hunt ducks and geese and the 12 is more useful in that regards. And for the right now I figured that a low speed 3/4oz load should be soft enough on the shoulder, and I did not want 2 different gauges in the inventory.

I have to admit I was surprised by a couple of things, first was the screw in choke I was expecting a fixed choke gun, this adds a level of versatility that I was not expecting. And it was better looking than expected too, the painted black wood stock works well with the plated frame.  If things work out Dad might get first blood with it, I got drawn for a twice a decade Alberta turkey tag (my first time hunting them helpful hints welcome :) ) and the topper is lighter in the hand than my 870.

I will need a source for chokes I'll need at least an improved  and possibly a full or extra full for that turkey hunt.

A training video of some sort would be nice I was never that good of a wing shot so I am probably not the best guy to teach him.
The second mouse gets the cheese

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
Re: New member of the extended family on layaway
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2008, 03:09:57 AM »
Be careful holding that Topper, because soon your 870' s will soon be sitting all alone and not getting any playtime. I have 2 that haven't seen one trip to the woods this year.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline aulrich

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
Re: New member of the extended family on layaway
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2008, 09:24:32 AM »
I hear you in a goose pit the 870 was fine but after an hour or so of hiking for grouse it gets heavy, I expect the turkey hunting will be more of the same just steeper.
The second mouse gets the cheese