Author Topic: Switching barrels  (Read 708 times)

Offline 1 id dog

• Trade Count: (0)
Switching barrels
« on: February 20, 2008, 02:24:25 PM »
 Well my according to my Dealer it may be another week or so before my 45/70 Optima Elite comes in. Since I have the equipment and components for 270 & 308 also but no gun for these, I may order a barrel for one or the other if the gun shows promise of being a shooter. I was wondering if when switching barrels does the POI stay relatively close. I have my own private range so checking the rigs POI isn't a problem, but I'd like to be close at least. Also, I would have thought that this forum section would be really hopping with activity, is the Elite just too new? Are CVA's just not that popular? What seems to be the issue?  Just curious guys, not meaning any harm. Just trying to get educated.  ??? ??? :-\ :-\

Offline Ol JohnnyBoy

Re: Switching barrels
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2008, 06:37:08 PM »
I thought I was the only one who noticed ::). Well hopefully it'll pick back up sometime soon. I tend to stop by daily to see whether someone has posted something new but the last couple of days seem to have been pretty slow. Maybe everybody's out shooting their OE's. ;D

Offline Ditchdigger

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2008, 04:47:20 AM »
I guess everyone is out hunting or something,I know I am. ;D ;D.I've located a bunch of hogs and the 45 70 barrel and I have been making alot of tracks.I hav'nt noticed any change of impact when I switch barrels. You're going to like the less felt recoil of this rifle,along with less barrel rise upon fireing.   Digger
Rest in Peace Old Friend July 2017

Offline 1 id dog

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2008, 02:32:51 PM »
  So it maybe conceivable to effectively use this gun with a switch barrel system? Maybe kinda sorta? I was hoping they were built with tolerances close enough to allow this. As that would be icing on the cake for me.

Offline Ditchdigger

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2008, 03:22:59 PM »
I have a 243,30 06,222,45 70,and the 50 cal. muzzle loader barrel for mine,and they all fit perfectly. I have different scopes on all of them,and they all shoot to the same point when changed. Some shoot better than others,but all are acceptable for hunting purposes. The 45 70 is a real pussycat compared to other 45 70's Ive owned.  Digger
Rest in Peace Old Friend July 2017