Author Topic: New to the forums  (Read 378 times)

Offline averageshooter

• Trade Count: (0)
New to the forums
« on: February 28, 2008, 06:55:30 PM »
Hi all I just wanted to introduce myself and ask a few questions.  First off my name is Matt and I actually just found this site today from searching for information on the handi rifle.  My best friend and his father both have one, one in .308 the other in 7mm08.  I have shot the rifles a few times and I was looking into picking one up for the next deer season.  I have gathered a lot of information so far from the site but was hoping for a little help with something.  The new year model with the T hole stock in 223 or 243, if I purchase that can I get a spare .308 bull barrel fit to it?  I would like to get the .223 for my wife to shoot and have the .308 for me to hunt with but get it with the T hole stock.  Or worst case just get it with .308 bull barrel with T hole.  Plus where is the best place to purchase the rifle from?  I don't know if my local shop will be able to get what I want. 
Also can you get a 17m2 barrel for these?  Would like to get that for some small game hunting.

Thanks in advance for all of your help.

Matt

Offline handirifle

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.handirifle.com
Re: New to the forums
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2008, 07:52:09 PM »
Matt
Welcome, a wealth of info here about the Handi.  I'll try to answer your questions, but some I know I cannot.   Based on your mentioned calibers and what you want, I'd suggest getting the 223

and sending it back in to get the 308 barrel added on.    FYI, any centerfire caliber barrel, except the 10ga, can be added to your frame, BUT it has to go back the H&R to be fitted at the factory.

Sorry, but the rimfire barrels ONLY work on rimfire receivers.  But, you get one rimfire caliber, and all the other rimfire barrels will swap out on it, just like the centerfires.  There's some wholesales our local might be able to go through, but I do not know their names.  I'm sure others here will.

Welcome and enjoy the handi, when you get one.  Don't overlook the stainless Ultra Handi in 45-70, they are a real blast.

God, Family, and guns, in that order!

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2008, 11:57:10 PM »
Welcome aboard. This is a wonderful place to learn about Handi rifles. Make sure you read the FAQ section. It has a lot of information there. Even if you are not having trouble with your Handi it is interesting reading. handi rifle is correct; only rim fire frames and rim fire barrels are interchangeable, unless you get a combo. Those have the barrels bored off center so they will work on a center fire frame. I do not think you can get a combo rim fire barrel by itself. If you want a HM2 barrel you better hurry. I think they have stopped production on this barrel and are working out of existing supplies. I am thinking about a Ultra 22 Mag and those are going the way of the Do-Do bird too, so I will have to get one soon before available stocks run out.
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline mookster79

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2008, 02:29:22 AM »
I would second the advice to read the FAQ sectiion because of the info there.  I have a .223 that I do just about all my varmint hunting and fun range shooting with.  It took a little testing to find the right ammo for mine, but that is half the fun.  As for the rimfire handi, my brother bought one in the .17hmr and is the reason I bought one in .223.  It is a great little gun.  While it would be nice to just get the barrel, I think he bought the rifle for about$130 bucks.  I don't know what your budget is, but they are not too rough on the pocket. I get in to trouble with the optics my self, but that is just one more reason to buy a handi.  I get a little extra pocket to put a scope on.  Welcome to the site, and I will say from experience anything not in the FAQ will be answered by the members here. I have always found honest info and have never been mislead by any of it.
TJM

Offline averageshooter

« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2008, 03:48:14 AM »
Thanks for the replies.  Looks like I will have to pick one up as soon as my check comes in next month  ;D.  Anyone know how long it takes to get it back when you send it in to have another barrel put on it? 

And as for the FAQ section, I have already been scouring through it trying to get info on free floating the barrel, trigger work etc. 

Optics:  That is where I get hit as well.  I am currently looking at a scope for my M1A that is just going to cost me way to much  ;)

Thanks again

Matt

BTW I don't know much about the 45-70 what uses and/or limitations does the caliber have?  Ranges, animals etc.  I will have to do some ballistic research on the caliber but I have seen that a lot of people on here really like it. 

Offline handirifle

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.handirifle.com
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2008, 04:52:25 AM »
Return time varies, but I think it's been goin about 3 weeks, but make sure you call them ahead to make sure they have the barrel you want, in stock.  They build them in runs, and if you send it in for a barrel that's sold out, the rifle just sits there till the barrel's made.

It's upset more than one person on that note.
God, Family, and guns, in that order!

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2008, 05:30:59 AM »
It does vary, depending on the work load. The last one I sent in Nov 5, 2007 and got it back Jan 15th 2008. Of course there were a few Holidays in there. I called before sending it in to verify that the barrels I wanted were still in stock.
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline averageshooter

« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2008, 03:32:43 PM »
I talked to my wife as well as a friend on trying to decide.  My wife said don't worry about her for now and to get the 45-70 since I have a .308 already.  My friend said he wishes he had gotten the 45-70.  So I think I have made my mind up on what to get to start with but was wondering if you can get a barrel for the 45-70 so I can get the .223 for her anyway?  I thought I read that they may not be doing barrel changes on that rifle but I could be wrong.  I am really excited now though.  Just gotta find where to purchase one at  ;D

Matt