Author Topic: Your favorite woods treckin/walk about gun pics & info welcome  (Read 1243 times)

Offline scout4

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Your favorite woods treckin/walk about gun pics & info welcome
« on: February 14, 2008, 03:43:57 AM »
Hello Men. What do you consider your best woods/ walk about gun? Short or long barrels, wood or synthetic, old or new, whatever is your best. Any information or your own history about the gun ie; shootin it huntin it, any pictures would be great! All input is appreciated and can be helpful to us future H&R gun project builders. Thank you very much! scout4<><

Offline plumberroy

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
Re: Your favorite woods treckin/walk about gun pics & info welcome
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2008, 05:17:25 AM »
28 ga youth with adult synthetic stock, storearm  and hi vis bead  revolver is a taurus 94 2" 22
I carry win AA #7 1/2's win XX #6's 1 oz and homemade round ball slug I posted the recipe here 
the 22 loves the winchester bulk hp's
B.T.W. you can buy 28 ga round ball loads from starsand stripes ammo
Roy
Every breath I take as a Free man was paid for with the blood of an American Soldier

Offline grumpyErik

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2008, 07:03:12 AM »
I carry a synthetic stocked NEF Pardner with interchangeable choke tubes in 20 ga and a Old Model Ruger Single Six .22 revolver for just bumming around the woods.
Click once, cuss repeatedly.

Offline burntmuch

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (114)
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2008, 07:21:35 AM »
Right now its my 357 max. short little thing williams peep . Im gonna add a short 20 guage barrel.

I dont care what gun Im using as long as Im hunting

Offline Cookiemann

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Apple Valley, MN
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2008, 01:13:01 PM »
I guess it just depends on my whims each time.  I have both, a 12ga and 20ga in 22" with adult woods and also a Tamer 410 with adult woods.  Here's a pic of the Tamer.

I also have a Buckmark 4".

I usually carry a couple Sluggers in a pocket and then a shell holder on the butt stock of whatever I grab...#4, 6, 8.  They both like the XX and the Fed.   The Buckmark seems to like everything I feed it, although the CCI's shoot much cleaner than most of the others.  I have yet to try any of the Rem. Bulk packed stuff. 

The 22" 20ga will be replaced by a wood stocked Tamer 20ga as soon as I can afford to add it to the family.  Hopefully, soon ;D  Also, would like to pick up a 357 revolver and maybe a 22 revolver, too.

cookie
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline holahead

• Trade Count: (29)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2008, 03:39:03 PM »
If I am just bumping around in the woods or fishing in the creeks I carry my 410 tamer. If I am somewhere where their are hogs I will have a Ruger 44mag.

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2008, 04:53:20 PM »
12ga nickle survivor with survivor butt stock traded out for regular adult synthetic. Looked long and hard for the gun but it is as close to perfect for a walking around/truck gun as I can conceive. Sling and a elastic butt cuff with a couple slugs and a couple #6s round it out. It's the gun in my avatar. carries llike a dream. I plan on getting a tamer 20ga and changing the stocks out to a nice wood lam. for a second walking around gun as well.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline LEO

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2008, 02:33:54 AM »
It is NEF handi-rifle that I had a 12 gauge 22" youth barrel fitted to, I then had the 22" barrel  cut to 18.5" and threaded for choke tubes..  I have just installed a williams peep sight and ramp front sight, but I haven't gotten to the range to zero them.  The finish on the gun was pretty bad so I just painted it in a sort of camo pattern, still have to repaint it after installing the sights.  When in the woods just loafing during fall and winter, I carry it loaded with a #6 or #7.5 game load, I have extras in a buttstock shell holder.  I also carry a couple of #2 3" magnums incase I get a shot at a coyote.  During the summer, I carry it loaded with the #2s and carry extra #7.5.  The reason for the #2s is that they are the largest shot you can possess in the field in my state.  I have a 357 barrel that I used to use a fair amount also but this year they made it illegal to hunt small game with a centerfire cartridge so it will only be going out when the only thing open is varmint.

Offline Cheesehead

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2008, 02:45:49 AM »
I like to carry my nef 20 gauge when walking and scouting the deer woods prior to season. This gun is so light and compact as compared to all of my other long guns it amazes me. I use 3" magnum rounds to extend the range and fire power and deal with the recoil. Grouse, squirrel and crows are my usual targets. I can carry this gun with 2 fingers!

Cheese
Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance.

Offline woodchukhntr

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (108)
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2008, 03:43:32 AM »
A .38 Charter Arms revolver, a Walther P22, or a .45 with .22 Kimber conversion kit when I'm just poking around in the summer.  If squirrel season is open, a Savage 24C, the camper version with .22 L.R./20 ga. short barrels.  It is very light and handy.  If I think there might be coyotes available, my .30-30 Handi scout with medium loads (and a call).  I'm thinking about rechambering the Savage to .22 Mag.

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2008, 02:41:29 AM »
This one started out as a $200.00 Youth Combo.  It had a (yuk!) black plastic stock and a .243 barrel.  The .243 barrels are notoriously bad shooters so I sold it on eBay for $125.00.  The 22" 20 guage (light taper) barrel has a mod. choke.  The stock is a Handi Camo Laminated factory stock I traded for.  I modified the sling to work properly on this short gun.  I have an elastic butt cuff shell holder, but I removed it for the picture.  I want to send this satin nickle plated SB2 receiver back for a .357 barrel.

The butcher is a Queen Cutlery 7" that I found in an old hardware store in Athens, AL the blade is considerably thicker than an Old Hickory and it has rosewood scales.  I could spend quite a while on my own hook, with what you see in the pic.

The bag contains at least the following

Opinel folder
Magnesium fire block
Waterproof matches
Bic Lighter
Dale Chudzinski Nessmuk knife
Gerber Folding Saw
6" stainless steel bowl for cooking and eating out of
4" stainless bowl to cook and drink out of
1 Spork
Surgical Gloves
Polar Fleece Gloves
1 Mosquito Head Net
1 Quart Nalgene bottle
US GI Poncho
First Aid Kit
Small Roll TP
50 Ft of Para Cord
Emergency Whistle
1 large Compass & 1 small compass
US GI Casuality Blanket
Space Blanket
A few premoistened towlettes
Water Purification Tablets
Several Large Trash Bags
Various Zip Lock Bags
8-10 Granola Bars
A Sock Full of Rice
Some Chicken Bullion Cubes
1 Box (25)of #6 shot
1 Box (5)Slugs
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline scout4

• A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2008, 04:36:43 AM »
Thanks for your participation. The pictures are great, and the info very helpful. Thanks again. scout4<><

Offline Cookiemann

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Apple Valley, MN
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2008, 10:39:19 AM »
Hey swampman, thanks for listing your gear.  I found a couple sites and read up on the Opinel folding knives.  Interesting reading and not bad prices.  I had seen them in movies and didn't know you could still get them.  Nice tool have around.

cookie

Ever thought of adding a Woodsman Pal to your gear ;)
http://www.woodmanspal.com/
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline Swampman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2008, 01:38:18 PM »
I've always kinda liked those.  It might replace a hatchet.
"Brother, you say there is but one way to worship and serve the Great Spirit. If there is but one religion, why do you white people differ so much about it? Why not all agreed, as you can all read the Book?" Sogoyewapha, "Red Jacket" - Senaca

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing  1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~

Offline woodchukhntr

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (108)
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2008, 05:12:23 AM »
In the spring, I like to go for evening walks along an old abandoned section of canal a couple of miles from my house.  I will take an air rifle or pistol along for some shooting.  The lack of noise keeps me from drawing attention, and I get plenty of shooting opportunities with both inanimate and animate targets (snapping turtles, carp).  With a pair of binoculars, I can observe deer and turkeys and other wildlife.  It's very relaxing until the bugs get too thick.