Author Topic: Story to tell  (Read 764 times)

Offline Leftoverdj

• Trade Count: (0)
Story to tell
« on: July 13, 2003, 03:16:02 PM »
When my son was twelve or so, I took him to a New Year's Festival and dropped him at the area set aside for teens. I went off and listened to good music (Dry Branch Fire Squad, don't miss them if they get to your area.) When I picked him back up, he had yards of coupons for the local paintball house.

Seems that one of events offered was a chance to shoot paintball pistols against local cops. Beat the cop, get a coupon. My kid had cleaned up. One of the cops finally asked him if he had shot paintball a lot. He told the cop truthfully that that night was the first time he had ever touched a paintball pistol.

As he told me, "I did not think it would be diplomatic to tell him I had been shooting real pistols for years."

But the kid got gypped. Seems you cannot be trusted to play paintball until you are sixteen and the joint went out of business before then.

I still have the coupons, and cherish them.
It is the duty of the good citizen to love his country and hate his gubmint.

Offline Jeff Vicars

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
Story to tell
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2003, 04:38:24 AM »
You should be proud. IMHSA matches are fine place for youth to compete with handguns.

Offline Leftoverdj

• Trade Count: (0)
Story to tell
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2003, 02:42:11 AM »
Kid is doing good, Jeff. He's just shy of 21 and into cars rather than guns, but he's been making his own living for three years doing things mechanical. I credit that to him growing up in and around a gunsmith shop and growing up using tools and solving problems. Skills transfer and you teach kids they can fix any damned thing they want to at an early age or they never learn it.

He's on his way to Alaska. There's a job waiting for him paying twice what he was making here and the chance to go to the U of A part time. He's not taking any guns until he gets settled in, but he told me I could start looking for parts for a heavy rifle for him after he gets through his first Alaska winter and if he decides to stay more than a year. I'm thinking .35 Whelen, but the .338 Mag is a possibility.

Kid learned a lot being around guns and shooting, reloading and bullet casting. He learned stuff that will serve him well even if he never fires another shot in his life. Patience, care, attention to detail, thinking things through, reaching for a manual when you need one, doing stuff right the first time.

I ain't saying guns are the only way to teach this, but it's A way. IMHO, kids who grow up around parents with a serious interest generally turn out OK, and kids who grow up around couch potatoes generally don't.
It is the duty of the good citizen to love his country and hate his gubmint.