Author Topic: Why are there no short-barreled H&Rs?  (Read 984 times)

Offline Owlnmole

• Trade Count: (0)
Why are there no short-barreled H&Rs?
« on: February 19, 2008, 03:08:13 AM »
One of the many advantages of the simple, break-open action of the H&R/NEF rifles/shotguns is the reduction in overall length compared to any action (bolt, lever, pump or semi-auto) that needs to leave space for a reciprocating bolt.

So with that going for them, you would think that H&R would make some rifles with 16" barrels and shotguns with 18" barrels (or 16 1/2" and 18 1/2" if you prefer) to really showcase this.  For deer rifles, camp or range guns, survival guns, you name it, I would think that the significant length (and weight) advantage would be a big selling point.  Yet H&R offers none of their rifles in shorter than a 20" barrel, ditto the shotguns, and most longer.

For example, I personally would love to see straight-stocked carbine like the CR-45LC but with a slim, 16" barrel in .357 Magnum/.38 Special.  It would be a great gun for cheap plinking in .38, could take shotshells for snakes or rats, and would even make a good deer gun in the woods with a hot .357 load.  I could also see a breakdown rifle or shotgun, maybe with the barrel packed in a hollow stock like the old AR-7 survival rifle (still made by Henry Repeating Arms Co.) or all the pieces in a nylon back like my Marlin Papoose.

So why are there no short-barreled H&Rs?

Offline DalesCarpentry

• Trade Count: (32)
  • I would rather be shooting!!
Re: Why are there no short-barreled H&Rs?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2008, 03:28:31 AM »
I really don't know but it would cost you under $50.00 to have your gunsmith cut it to 16" and recrown it. Dale
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work!!

Offline PHATINJUN

• "Seeker of the Red Mist"
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (144)
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2008, 04:10:19 AM »
I'm sure it's all got to do with cost whether that's inventory sitting on a shelf waiting for some one to want a special short bbl or having to reset machinery to cut the short one's . They sell to the masses and make their bbl's to lenghts that will fit most all folks and that them folk's use factory ammo .Making your Handi shorter is very easy to do at home with help from the FAQ's crowns are easy to clean up . I am sure if they had their way they would makem all one length.Also I think most loading manuals test the loads in standard 20,22,24,26" test bbl's. Kurt
Deceased 2/16/24
https://www.dignitymemorial.com/obituaries/machesney-park-il/kurt-heckman-11671764

Sportster17M2,20"Nickle410Tamer,26"410,
WTUTI12ga,WTU25-06,M158 22RemJet, 24"Ultra.204Ruger24"UltraFluted.204Ruger
M157Mannliker.22Hornet,24".223UltraFluted,   24".223Ultra,7X64BrenekkeUltra,22-250AIUltraFluted            7.62x39,22"303Britstub.32H&Rmag, .32303BritstubHuntsman,24" SS.50calHuntsman 58calHuntsman 12gaHuntsman
NEF RevolversSSModel73.32H&Rmag                     Blued Model73.32H&R mag The herd is shrinking!!
                                 "SOLI DEO GLORIA"

Offline canon6

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (119)
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2008, 04:22:50 AM »
You mean like this one, done with a hacksaw and Dremel tool. I really like short barrels.   Doug
a armed man is his own master

Offline coyotejoe

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2008, 04:23:49 AM »
Well, when you consider that a handi with the standard 22" barrel is already shorter than a bolt gun with 18" barrel I doubt that there is any real screaming demand for shorter barrels and if you really do want a stubby gun, well hacksaws are cheap. H&R is already producing quite an assortment of styles and calibers, no dealer can stock even half the catalog, adding multiple barrel lengths to the options would be overwhelming. If they were to offer alternate barrel lengths I would prefer longer over shorter. I have a couple of old Savage M-219s and find the 26" barrel just about ideal. When Savage introduced that gun they felt the 26" barrel would handle like a Winchester '94 carbine but give about 200 fps velocity gain over the 20" carbine. That was sound reasoning, short stubby guns really don't handle well at all, contrary to popular notion, short guns are quick handling only to a point, too short actually becomes slow handling. Skeet shooters long ago established 26" barrels as the best for break open doubles and skeet does not require fine accuracy. Likewise cowboy action shooters need speed over accuracy but many shoot 24" octagon barrels and those who favor 20" barrels generally choose heavy octagon barrels on a long action like the Winchester '73 to smooth out the swing, the little trapper carbines tend to be "jerky" and not settle smoothly on target. Then too, high velocity rounds suffer a disproportionate velocity loss with barrels shorter than 20", which is why 22" is the most common length even on long action bolt guns.
 But if you feel you really must have a stubby gun, well, like I said, hacksaws are cheap. ;D
The story of David & Goliath only demonstrates the superiority of ballistic projectiles over hand weapons, poor old Goliath never had a chance.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2008, 04:25:22 AM »
Probably because MOST of us don't share your interest in them thus no demand for them to be made. If you feel the need so strongly have one made for you all it takes is cutting the barrel and putting on a new front sight if you wish one.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline burntmuch

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (114)
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2008, 04:50:35 AM »
How bout my 357 max with 17 inch barrel

or my huntsman with 20 inch barrel. No pics yet
I dont care what gun Im using as long as Im hunting

Offline s_hawk

• If ya come, ya better come heavy!
    • Texas Punishment Crew
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2008, 05:15:34 AM »
I have a superlight in .223 & .22 Hornet with a 20 inch barrel & 33 inches overall. These were the Kid's version. They are extremely accurate at short range, light, and rugged. I use these hunting Axis at night in the Hill Country. At 15-20 yards neck shots are easy and they go down right there. Also, they are very manuverable. Because there is no kick to either, the short stock doesn't need to be snug, but just touching to be steady. Unless you have really long arms, which I don't, its a good rig. The bottom line is you have three less inches of gun and 4 more inches of barrel then almost every factory rifle of either caliber. Further you don't have the added noise level you get from a 16 inch barrel. I like the 16 inch barrel. I have a cut down Remington 700 in 30-06 and a Ruger Scout in 7mm-08 and would not trade or sell either. Both are around 36 in. By the same token I wouldn't get rid of my NEF .223
or .22 Hornet 3 inches shorter with 4 more inches of barrel.
Hawk
Glory Lasts Forever

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2008, 05:28:10 AM »
My 18.5" (used to be 19" but has been redone and recrowned, Thanks Larry!!) barreled .280 Remington, aka "Thunderboomer" shoots honest 1" to 1.25" groups at 100 yards all day long with factory 140 grain Remington Ammo. I bought a bunch for $5 a box at Wal Mart when they were getting rid of guns and ammo. I like the short barreled guns for hunting the thick woods and cedar swaps of Maine....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline knight0334

• Trade Count: (3)
    • Pennsylvania Firearm Owners
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2008, 06:03:21 AM »
Without a full and functioning action, even longer barreled Handi's are shorter than many short barreled carbines.

There is also the point that 16-18" barreled rifles are generally a loosing venture for most companies, particularly in the hunting/sporting rifle market.   The past has proven time and time again that the short barreled carbines/rifles don't sell very well.

If you really want a short-barreled Handi - a hacksaw only costs $5-10 these days.
RIP ~ Teeny: b.10/27/66 - d.07/03/07

Offline Hammerspur

• Trade Count: (1)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2008, 06:23:14 AM »
Probably because MOST of us don't share your interest in them thus no demand for them to be made. If you feel the need so strongly have one made for you all it takes is cutting the barrel and putting on a new front sight if you wish one.

I find a 22" pretty short myself... like 18'' or 19" in a bolt action, no? ???
Steve
Of course guns are dangerous... if they weren't they wouldn't be good for anything!

Offline DalesCarpentry

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2008, 06:28:57 AM »
How bout my 357 max with 17 inch barrel

or my huntsman with 20 inch barrel. No pics yet
burntmuch. I really like this rifle. Looks great. How does it shoot at 100 yards? Thanks Dale
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

Offline burntmuch

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (114)
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2008, 06:57:15 AM »
Dale Im using a peep sight. 100 yards is tough for my eyes with a peep. Iknow its on at 80 yards. I was wacking softball size pumpkins at 80 yards freehand. 0 recoil handles real fast. Cheap to shoot. The perfect Gun in my opinion Didnt hunt with it this year. found myself in shotgun zone.
I dont care what gun Im using as long as Im hunting

Offline krod47nw

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (250)
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2008, 08:18:37 AM »
I guess because it is easy to shorten one, but difficult to make it longer. 
The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.  Thomas Jefferson

Offline DalesCarpentry

« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2008, 08:22:28 AM »
In my line of work we always like to send the new green horn helper to go get the board strecher out of the truck. Wonder if we could send someone for a barrel strecher? :o ;D Dale

Offline Owlnmole

« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2008, 09:35:23 AM »
Thanks all for the feedback.  I certainly take the point that if carbines were so popular then gunmakers would make more of them.  I was thinking more of pistol calibers, honestly, so the ballistics didn't really enter into it, just having a light, handy gun for multiple uses.

I am happy to see the shortened carbines that folks have made or have had made, but the pictures do show the difference between a barrel that was made to be 16" long and one that was cut down.  Cutting a barrel and recrowning is great, but it can't change the taper (or lack of taper) of the barrel.

It sounds like I'll just HAVE to get myself a CR-45LC, send it off for an extra barrel or two, and give my local gunsmith some business.   ;)

Regards,

Matthew

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2008, 02:04:47 PM »
since you mentioned that, my 18.5" .280 Remington, aka "Thunderboomer", the one that shoots honest 1.0" to 1.25" groups at 100 yards all day long with factory Remington 140 grain ammo has recently be redone by Larry by tapering the barrel to a heavy sporter configuration (and centering the bore at the same time), squaring the breechface, recrowning the barrel with a great 11 degree crown and then parkerzing the barrel. It is now not only a shooter and handy, but a nice looking shooter, and a handy Handi as well!!!....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Owlnmole

« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2008, 04:14:11 AM »
Sorry, I am new...who is this Larry I keep hearing about who does custom work on H&Rs?  Thanks!

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2008, 04:59:53 AM »
Larry is our own member trotterlg, he is not a gunsmith nor does he do work for money, he is a real craftsman, a hobbyist and tinkerer extraordinaire who likes these Handis and enjoys working on them simply as a hobby. He is not a person you can hire or pay to do work, but if he were, he would be swamped with work by the members here. He is an excellent craftsman and a great guy. He is out to sea now for a month I believe but check this thread for some info:

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,136923.0.html

alternately use the search feature to check for posts started by him in the H&R centerfire section, that should give you reading material for a while....<><....:)