Author Topic: Frame pin?  (Read 252 times)

Offline Slufoot

• Trade Count: (21)
Frame pin?
« on: February 19, 2008, 04:37:35 PM »
I was shooting my 45-70 today and noticed one of the pins in the frame was working it's way out. The pin is loose enough that I was able to push it back with my finger.
It's the 2nd pin down from the top of the receiver.
Have any of you had trouble with your frame pins working their way out?

Thanks!
Slufoot

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Frame pin?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2008, 04:43:23 PM »
Nope, they're real tough to knock out for a trigger job, can't imagine one being loose, must be defective and undersized or the hole in the frame is oversize. Is the splined end of the pin on the left side of the frame as it should be? That's the latch pin, so I'd contact H&R and see about getting it fixed.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline Slufoot

• Trade Count: (21)
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2008, 04:52:56 PM »
Thanks Tim. This is the receiver that got scratched when I sent it back to get a 500 S&W barrel fitted to it. I spoke with Gordon about it and he told me when I could send it back that they would refinish it. I guess it's a good thing I shot it some more before sending it back for refinishing.
On the left side if I push the pin through I can see some very slight splines. The pin will push easily in both directions, it was hanging out the right side a good 1/8th of an inch when I noticed it this morning.

GOOD SHOOTING!
Slufoot

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2008, 04:55:32 PM »
Hopefully it's an undersized/defective pin and not a defective frame, otherwise they'll have to replace the frame and fit any barrels you have for it. They may have to fit them anyway as the pin might affect latch engagement.  :-\

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain