Author Topic: Springfield v. Ruger  (Read 552 times)

Offline Old Griz

• Trade Count: (0)
Springfield v. Ruger
« on: March 01, 2008, 08:29:04 PM »
Most of the time I carry a Glock 21. However, lately I've been looking at smaller .45s. Two fairly inexpensive choices have been the 4" Springfield GI Champion, and the Ruger 345. Please help me with the pros and cons of these two choices. (Not interested in the XD or M&P.)
Griz
<*}}}><

I Cor. 2.2 "For I determined not to know anything among you, save Jesus Christ, and him crucified."

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
Re: Springfield v. Ruger
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2008, 12:29:56 AM »
If your going to use it for concealed carry and also have a glock id say go with the ruger. 1911s take a tad different and a tad more training to carry. To switch between a glock and a 1911 might cause confuslon. 1911s usually take a bit more upkeep to insure reliability too and id say if your the type that just wants a gun to blast with and dont want to fool with it the ruger is going to be a more reliable out of the box gun. On the side of the 1911, if you get a good one there very reliable too and probably going to be more accurate then the ruger. Im not a big fan of springfield guns period. Ive just had to many out of the box problems with them and after a half a dozen lemons it wont buy another but some guys have had good luck with them. What i would consider (and i dont like glocks) is to buy a compact 45 glock. Your already used to your glock and it would come second nature to you to use a small one for ccw. As much as i detest them i have to say you probably wont find a more reliable gun.
blue lives matter

Offline Savage

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2008, 02:32:48 AM »
I can read between the lines. I'm getting the feeling that Lloyd may not be a Glock fan!
 :o
Griz,
If you are not well acquainted with SA autos, and plan to carry one, I'd highly recommend you spend a lot of time with one before you carry it.
Just yesterday, I went to the range with a friend to shoot his newly acquired 1911 compact. He carries a Glock as a duty gun and plans to carry the 1911 off duty. Twice, while shooting the pistol, he unintentionally fired two shots while trying to fire one. Being accustomed to the Glock trigger, the short reset and light pull of the 1911 caused him to have these unintentional discharges. I strongly advised him to spend a lot of range time with his new pistol before he starts carrying it. Anyone can learn the manual of arms for the 1911, and learn to control the trigger. Just a bit more of a learning curve than the dumbed down fire control systems.
I have heard a lot of good things about the 345. I have never owned/seen a bad Ruger. Don't know how you could go wrong with one.
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline ONE HOLE 4570

• Trade Count: (33)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2008, 03:29:37 AM »
I would go with the ruger, I have the P90 a little larger grip but functions flawlessly minute of pop can at 25 yards all day long. The guys I know  that have the 345 love theirs as well, thought about getting one of them myself. I have fed everything from 180 wadcutters to 230 ball with hollow points in between with 100% functionality
That's my boy, GOD BLESS AMERICA!!

Offline S.B.

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2008, 08:35:28 AM »
I can remember dealing with Reese brothers from years back and their off shore investment cast parts. They used to sell pistols(1911s) in kits that weren't fitted and they didn't fit. They wanted buyers to try and fit and then when they came back for their money, were told they voided the warrenty by working on them? Lost my taste for them at this time.
Never heard anything but good about Rugers customer service so, I'd vote Ruger, in this case.
"The Original Point and Click Interface was a Smith & Wesson."
Life member of NRA, USPSA,ISRA
AF&AM #294
LIUNA #996 for the past 34 years/now retired!

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2008, 09:38:50 AM »
 :P glocks or springfields!!
I can read between the lines. I'm getting the feeling that Lloyd may not be a Glock fan!
 :o
Griz,
If you are not well acquainted with SA autos, and plan to carry one, I'd highly recommend you spend a lot of time with one before you carry it.
Just yesterday, I went to the range with a friend to shoot his newly acquired 1911 compact. He carries a Glock as a duty gun and plans to carry the 1911 off duty. Twice, while shooting the pistol, he unintentionally fired two shots while trying to fire one. Being accustomed to the Glock trigger, the short reset and light pull of the 1911 caused him to have these unintentional discharges. I strongly advised him to spend a lot of range time with his new pistol before he starts carrying it. Anyone can learn the manual of arms for the 1911, and learn to control the trigger. Just a bit more of a learning curve than the dumbed down fire control systems.
I have heard a lot of good things about the 345. I have never owned/seen a bad Ruger. Don't know how you could go wrong with one.
Savage
blue lives matter