Author Topic: 308 lightweight barrels  (Read 282 times)

Offline indydave

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Avid Poster
308 lightweight barrels
« on: February 20, 2008, 11:33:44 PM »
ok    i see lots on the 308 win bull barrels      who has a light   or standard contour barrel ?   what kind of loads and accuracy do the skinny barrel guys shoot?

Offline EVOC ONE

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
Re: 308 lightweight barrels
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2008, 02:25:44 AM »
I have an older Ultra .308 (SN HK) with a very thin barrel.  I've not shot it much.  Referring to my notes, I've only fired Federal Power Shok 150's through it.  I recorded three, three shot groups that measured 1 1/4" - 1 1/2" at 100 yards.  I did make note that each three shot group was fired with no cool down.  Had I allowed for a cool down, perhaps the groups would have been tighter. 

:)

Offline LEO

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
Re: 308 lightweight barrels
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2008, 07:17:06 AM »
I have a standard contour 308, mine will shoot the Federal Classic load into 1 1/4" at 100 yards for 3 rounds, it will put my handload of 150 gr Sierra SBT, WLR primer, Remington Brass and 4064 powder into 1" at 100 for 5 shots.  This is allowing the barrel to cool between each shot.  I generally just shoot the Federals because they are cheap, I don't have to spend time reloading them, and the accuracy is more than enough for deer hunting at the ranges I encounter.  I really haven't tinkered much with the load for this rifle so it might do better with a different load, I am pretty confident that seating the bullet farther out would help in that my rifle has a long throat to the chamber.  This is one of those cases where what I have does more than I need so what is the point of spending time to get it even better.