Author Topic: Birds Head Grip  (Read 370 times)

Offline Cookiemann

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Apple Valley, MN
Birds Head Grip
« on: February 21, 2008, 11:45:29 PM »
What are the advantages/disadvantages to a revolver with birds head style grips?
Thanks

cookiemann
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline moxgrove

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Contributor
Re: Birds Head Grip
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2008, 12:37:30 AM »
birdsheads look nice and are good for guys with small hands. My stepdad has a couple ubertis with them and they are fine with cowboy loads, but not so nice for anything heavier. Of course I'm talking about full power Colt level loads not Ruger level. I haven't ever fired the old model Vaquero with the factory birds head. They kind of get lost in my hands, but my stepdad has small hands and says they are the most comfortable grips he's used.

Offline Glanceblamm

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Birds Head Grip
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2008, 04:16:34 AM »
My old model with the factory birds head style grips seems to balance and shoot great. The frame on this Vaquero could be a tad longer like moxgrove said though.
As far as the shooting goes, for the best accuracy mine seems to prefer a lighter grip on the handle so as to let the piece roll well. Some might complain of the hammer pecking the top web of the hand but I have not had this happen yet. My hottest loads through this have been the .45 300gr @ 900fps through the 3-7/8" barrel and the recoil is manageable.