Author Topic: Ambidextrous hammer extension  (Read 1043 times)

Offline Stan in SC

• Trade Count: (8)
  • A Real Regular
Ambidextrous hammer extension
« on: February 18, 2008, 05:01:58 PM »
Every once in awhile you run across a new product that you feel is a really good product.You buy it,try it and like it enough that you just are certain that others will want to know about it.I recently purchased two ambidextrous hammer extensions from a company called Carlsons who mainly manufacture choke tubes.
www.ChokeTube.com
I installed one on my non-scoped NEF 45/70 and the other on a scoped Rossi.They require a little fitting for the NEF to go on as far as I wanted it to go but it slipped right on the Rossi.These are well made and a good idea for these break top hammer guns we all like so well.I paid $10.95 for each of them which is the retail price.In my estimation it is a good product.

Stan
The more I listen,the more I hear....and vice versa.

45/70..it's almost a religion.

Offline burntmuch

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (114)
Re: Ambidextrous hammer extension
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2008, 02:29:03 AM »
I put one on my 35 whelen. Real good product. Works good on the bench.
I dont care what gun Im using as long as Im hunting

Offline Stan in SC

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2008, 03:31:56 PM »
I copied the website address from the card the extension came on.I have now looked at the website and see that I cannot find the product listed anywhere on it.I emailed them for the reason they don't show it.

Stan

Offline burntmuch

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2008, 04:04:59 PM »
I got mine off Ebay wish I woulda bought a couple

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline DalesCarpentry

• Trade Count: (32)
  • I would rather be shooting!!
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2008, 04:56:04 PM »
Why would you buy one!!!!!!!!! ::) You can flop the one around that came with your rifle. Dale
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work!!

Offline AZHoosier

• Trade Count: (0)
  • An unloaded gun is just a CLUB!!
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2008, 06:17:57 PM »
I got mine from Cabela's.
I shoot first, and don't ask questions.

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2008, 07:34:31 PM »
I suppose that if you have lefties and righties shooting the same gun, it would be nice. As Dale has pointed out the standard one will fit both left or right, but just one of them at a time. I do not know their construction, but the more weight you add to the hammer, the longer the lock time is. The lock time is how long it takes for the hammer to travel from the cocked position to the firing pin striking the primer. I am not sure about hammer force; the hammer would travel slower, but will carry more weight to strike the firing pin with. Just some thoughts, to each their own.
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline burntmuch

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2008, 01:51:23 PM »
Why would you buy one!!!!!!!!!  You can flop the one around that came with your rifle. Dale

Cause when your shooting off a bench You can reach up with with your left hand & cock, ::) Just another option I think it would be handy in a hunting situation

As far as weight. I think its aluminum. I would bet its real close to the NEF version if not lighter.

Offline DalesCarpentry

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2008, 02:19:45 PM »
Why would you buy one!!!!!!!!!  You can flop the one around that came with your rifle. Dale

Cause when your shooting off a bench You can reach up with with your left hand & cock, ::) Just another option I think it would be handy in a hunting situation

As far as weight. I think its aluminum. I would bet its real close to the NEF version if not lighter.
Well what are you doing with your right hand that it so busy you can't cock it? Dale
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

Offline burntmuch

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2008, 02:21:46 PM »
Holding the butstock into my shoulder

Offline DalesCarpentry

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2008, 02:31:07 PM »
Well what hand are you reloading with then? Dale

Offline burntmuch

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2008, 02:33:21 PM »
The guns already loaded. Dale you looking for an arguement, sure seems like it.  Jay

Offline 8up

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2008, 02:48:13 PM »
I will buying one. I can miss targets equally well shooting left or right handed and when hunting if a deer approaches from the right I shoot left handed instead of right.

Offline DalesCarpentry

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2008, 03:25:41 PM »
The guns already loaded. Dale you looking for an arguement, sure seems like it.  Jay
No I am not are you. I just wanted to understand your process. Excuse me sory I brought it up. Dale

Offline burntmuch

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2008, 03:30:11 PM »
8up I think they,ed be real handy in a treestand or with mittens during muzzleloading

Offline Stan in SC

• A Real Regular
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2008, 02:28:11 PM »
I emailed them for a catalog and while requesting same I inquired why the hammer extension was not on their web page.I got a really nice email back from Deb Carlson stating that the catalog was in the mail and that they were going to add the hammer extension to their webpage as soon as practical.I received the catalog today.Very nicely done and they carry some nice choke tubes.
In answer to Dale's and others comments as to why you might need an ambidextrous hammer extension,there are just times when it is more handy to reach one side or the other of the hammer to pull it back to firing position.Why should you limit yourself to a one sided extension when something better is available?

Stan

Offline coyotejoe

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2008, 05:46:48 PM »
"Why would you limit yourself to one side when something better is available?"  Personally I very much question the "betterness". I dislike hammer extensions because they are prone to snag on clothing, rip gun cases and present a hazard. An extension on both sides would seem to be at least twice as bad as on one side. A hammer extension is never a good thing, it is just a jerry-rig required on a scope sighted handi. On my .357 handi I chose to mount a shotgun scope with 6" eye relief forward of the hammer which allows it to mount lower and eliminates the need for a hammer extension.
The story of David & Goliath only demonstrates the superiority of ballistic projectiles over hand weapons, poor old Goliath never had a chance.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2008, 06:01:51 PM »
Speaking of snagging on clothing, I lost an opportunity on a buck one time due to clothing and a hammer extension, jumped a nice 2 or 3 point(4 or 6 eastern), cocked the hammer and followed him in the scope as he ran almost broadside to me at about 75yds and pulled the trigger, no boom!! The hammer extension had snagged in the new-to-me glove that had  split seams to allow the thumb and index fingers to be exposed for better dexterity.  ::) Needless to say, they didn't hunt with me any more.  >:(

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline youthpastorjon

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2008, 09:30:53 PM »
I have one of these on my encore and love it.  However, the last time I was out at the range I had 3 misfires out of the same box.  I am not sure if this has something to do with the hammer extension or if it was something else.  I have heard that adding hammer extensions can create issues at times?  Has anyone else had an issue with them?  Maybe I just got a bad box of shells