Author Topic: First Elk hunt Have some questions  (Read 2399 times)

Offline justonemorear

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (45)
  • Contributor
  • My own twisted reality in Southern Idaho
First Elk hunt Have some questions
« on: February 16, 2008, 01:36:21 AM »
I'm from MO and this is going to be my first trip to CO let alone first Elk hunt.
I'm going with a group who has done this for a few years but I'm looking for input from those who are out that way.

What is the temp swing like from day to night? We are tent camping on public land, I believe it is the second part of the season.

What caliber is a best? I shoot an Encore 30/06 and use Federal vital shok 165gr w/ nosler partitions.

What is an average shot distance? Here for whitetail it is from 30ft to about 40yds. I have my rifle zeroed at 100yds.

Is there any gear the normal whitetail woods stand hunter will need out there.

thanks
When it absolutely needs to be there, reload

Pareo Nullus (Obey None)

Offline james

• Trade Count: (7)
  • A Real Regular
Re: First Elk hunt Have some questions
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2008, 07:17:03 PM »
Been out there several years and your gear should work fine.  Weather wise, prepare for snow and cold but it may be warm and dry.  I've hunted in a foot of snow and never noticed the cold.  Temps depend a lot on elevation but I was suprised at the lack of temp change between day and night.  When it gets in the 20s I put my thermorest matress on the ground as it is warmer than on a cot where the air can get underneath you.  Being from Arkansas I found getting used to the high altitude is important.  I have to take it easy the first day or I get a headache.  We usually camp at about 9500' on a high plateau.   For elk, you often have to walk a lot and possibly pack out meat so get in good physical shape.  Most of the elk we have taken were in the most inaccessible places.  I've taken all of my elk with a muzzleloader and the longest shot was maybe 75 yards.   We hunt in heavy timber, early in the season so you may get longer shots since you will be later in the year when the leaves have dropped.   I would try to be prepared to take a ridge to ridge shot of 350 yards.   Guess I'll send in for another cow tag this year so I can save my preference points.
Have fun.

Offline burntmuch

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (114)
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2008, 01:19:18 AM »
Ive done 4 do it your self hunts public land. Your gun should be fine. what you need

good boots,compass, learn how to read a topo map. & be willing to WALK. If your at higher altitude & the grass is brown ,move down to lower altitude. Its not like deer hunting. Dont sit & wait for them. Go to them. Get the best binos you can afford. Have enough
 gear in your day pack to spend the night out away from camp. You ll find yourself a couple miles from camp in the dark. Thats a long walk in the dark. Ive found myself wondering around the side of a mountain looking for my dome tent in the dark. just to get 4 hours sleep then walk back where  I was the night before. Get in shape, Save the beer for after camp. 2 or 3 beers at night & you ll feel like crap the next morning." I know that part sucks" Dont carry a bunch of water, get yourself a waterpurifier & stop at creeks & fill up, drink & fill up.. Weather wise, be prepared for wet. cold is a little easier to deal with, wet sucks. Good luck & have fun. Hopefully I ll be out there for 2nd gun season myself. Be warned. You want to keep going out there after your first trip.
I dont care what gun Im using as long as Im hunting

Offline justonemorear

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2008, 01:53:14 AM »
Thanks for the insight. 
Guess I'm going to Cabelas w/ the tax refund for the needed items, unless someone know where I can get them cheaper.

Pareo Nullus (Obey None)

Offline B2crawler

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2008, 12:46:32 PM »
As far as weather in Colorado don't try and predict what it's going to be based on the time your going to be here Oct-Sept.  It could be into the 50's one day and cold snowing the next...then warm right back up the day after that.  We have crazy weather here.  Pack for it all.

Offline B2crawler

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2008, 01:31:20 PM »
Burntmuch is right on with good boot and willing to hike long ways also.  This last year we stopped by a hunter camped out near us that had a nice 5x5 rack.  This was mid day and he told us where he was seeing the herd he took his bull from.  We tried hunting them that evening.  Guy said he shot it 4-5 miles back in.  Don't think we hunted half that far in Straight up and down mountains.  That night when we were returning to camp we stopped by to let him know how we did.  Poor guy set his boots next to the camp fire to dry.  Forgot about'em and when he held them up they were still smoking.  He asked us where the nearest place he could buy shoes at.  We pointed him towards Gunnison like 40 miles away where there is a Wal-Mart.  Say he made it back to his camp by midnight.  Wake up in the morning and hike 2-3 more trips 4 miles in for the rest of his elk in brand new cheep boots.  OUCH!  Bring two pairs if you can that way you can switch out every other day and or lose a pair to fire. haha

Offline burntmuch

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2008, 02:25:47 PM »
One year my brother packed in a pair of water shoes to wear around camp, so his boots could dry & to give his feet a break. Well one day he went for a" short walk" with them . Got lost & walked 6 miles in them. Colorado humbled him real fast.  This year we re thinking 20 lb packs with 2-3 days worth of food Lightweight tent & sleeping bags. Walk till you find them. sleep where you end up.B2 crawler I think Ive had breakfast in gunnison a time or two.

Offline B2crawler

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2008, 07:21:30 AM »
That really has to be the best way to hunt here in Colorado on Public Land.  Wake up in the morning far from all the other hunters up on the mountain.  Be able to sleep in till probably 6 and still set up before first light.  Now that sounds nice!!  Only bad part is you could wake up in the morning miles from your truck and 12 inches of fresh snow on the ground. 
This last year was the first year that I used my pop up camper I bought.  Was nice to wake up in the morning vs staying in a tent like years past, BUT!!!  By the fourth day I was flat wore out hiking in deep every morning.  That day we hunted within good walking distance from the camper...on flatter ground.  That night we got a good snow storm about six inches.  I was afraid of pulling the camper over the pass with it still snowing hard.  Taylor Park is probably 9,000 ft and all the surrounding peaks are 13,000 up to 14ers.  Not wanting to stay all winter we packed up after hunting that morning and headed out. 
What else could be this fun..cost this much and I've been 100% unsuccessful at in 4 years  ;D

Offline burntmuch

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2008, 08:55:34 AM »
The first year we did it we packed at big cabin tent. walked 3,4 miles in every day then back at night. that ll wear you out fast. Now every thing I need is on my back. B2crawler, what area you hunting The last 2 times Ive done silver creek trail. Out of 4 trips we,ve packed out 1 4x4. About right 25% success rate. Me & my brother are tring to do it this year. We may fly & rent a car in Denver. Driving from Michigan kills 2-3 days & wears you out before you even start hunting.

Offline Buckskins & Black Powder

• Trade Count: (16)
    • Buckskins & Black Powder
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2008, 07:18:16 PM »
I'm from MO and this is going to be my first trip to CO let alone first Elk hunt.
I'm going with a group who has done this for a few years but I'm looking for input from those who are out that way.

What is the temp swing like from day to night? We are tent camping on public land, I believe it is the second part of the season.

What caliber is a best? I shoot an Encore 30/06 and use Federal vital shok 165gr w/ nosler partitions.

What is an average shot distance? Here for whitetail it is from 30ft to about 40yds. I have my rifle zeroed at 100yds.

Is there any gear the normal whitetail woods stand hunter will need out there.

thanks

Some of your questions are really hard to answer.
I live in southern colorado, 30 minutes west of trinidad to be exact.

Up north where i used to hunt, Near Vail, during muzzleloading season the temp could drop into the 30's and then  peak over 80* during the day. When that happens, hunting turned to Chit.

I now hunt unit 84 and the temp can easily be in the teens at night and in the low 50's during the day. With todays "Global warming" There really is no way to tell what the weather will be like!

Caliber, Your setup will be perfect for deer,moose,elk, bear. My brother shoots a 150 grain bullet in his .270

Average distance shot will depend on what unit you are hunting.  Unit 84, 75 to 120-130  depending on where i am hunting. Sometimes even up to 400 yards when i get to the 440 area. That area is OPEN!

Good boots that are broken in will the a great investment. Along with good wool gloves, or elk skin mittens.

The best thing you can do is to start eating right and get into shape.

Offline colocowboy76

• Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2008, 08:02:09 AM »
so now you have all the info..... lol..... hunting elk can vary greatly depending on weather, temperature, moisture, vegetation growth, altitude, and many other factors.  Other than that it is pretty easy!!  The 06 is a great elk round and you should have no probs with it.  I hunt in Norther CO just south of Laramie WY, and it has been -20 some years and 70+ other years.  In general what I have found is that if there is alot of snow the elk are pushed down into the valleys were they herd up and run in big groups.... easy hunting.  When there is no snow and it is hard hunting,  elk will stay high up and hide in the thick timber.  They also dont heard up, useually in groups of 3-6 animals for small bulls and cows,  BIG bulls are loners.  The  bull on the left (my profile pic) was taken this year all alone high in the timber.  I will second the advise that came up on here that said be prepared to walk,  also get good binos or a spotting scope.  Even if you hunt the timber you will be able to glass across valleys to small clearings on opposite peaks to spot animals.  Also carry SHARP knife and a stone, elk hide dulls a knife fast.  Good luck.

ps deadline for the draw is april 1ts and can be done online.... even if you miss it there are useually leftover tags avaliable in some areas, but not all

Offline justonemorear

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2008, 01:44:25 AM »
Thanks to all for the info. Just waiting to hear back from the guys I'm going with whether we got drawn.
We are also put in for a draw in New Mexico. Might as well do what I can while I'm able.
I would love to go the Alaska for a fishing/ hunting trip, I had the funds together but bought a jet drive OB for my boat.

Pareo Nullus (Obey None)