Author Topic: CVA Optima Elite -vs- NEf Handi-Mag  (Read 1679 times)

Offline Buckeye_Buck

• Trade Count: (0)
CVA Optima Elite -vs- NEf Handi-Mag
« on: February 28, 2008, 02:21:24 PM »
Hello all!  I'm kind of new to this site, so please hang in there.  I'm in the mood to purchase a new deer rifle, but I can't justify spending a ton.  I was leaning towards a 7mm-08 in a CVA Optima Elite but I recently came across the new H&R Handi-Mag in a 7mm mag..  I'm now torn between the two.  I want a 24" barrel for the 7mm-08 which the CVA has, where the NEF only has a 22" barrel for that caliber.  Is that 2" gonna make a big difference as far as ballistics goes?  The Handi-Mag has a stainless 26" barrel and is cheaper than the CVA O.E.., but is the 7mm mag. overkill for 200 lb. deer?  My shots will most likely not get out to 300+ yards.  Basically, it all boils down to this:  I want an Accurate rifle that is well built and reliable, and at or under the $300 range.  Does anyone have any input on the accuracy of these two rifles?  Any suggestions?  I appreciate your input, thank you!

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
Re: CVA Optima Elite -vs- NEf Handi-Mag
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2008, 02:41:13 PM »
Hello Buckeye Buck, The H&R Mags have been put on hold for a while, perhaps something to do with the takeover by Remington. The 7MM Mag is overkill anyway, I hunt in Maine where 200+ lb dressed deer are shot every year and I have gotten one myself. They even get 300 lb dressed deer occasionally and one approach that mark very year. I have never seen the Maine deer that would not drop for a 7mm-08 class gun. I would suggest a H&R in .280 Remington. I can be loaded to replicate a 7mm-08 and to almost 7MM Mag potential. The .280 Remington Handi rifle has always been an exceptionally accurate caliber and I have never heard anyone say anything bad about them. I have 2, a full length 26" barreled one an a 18.5" woods gun I affectionately call "Thunderboomer". With the short and handy 18.5" barrel it shoots 1.0" to 1.25" max 100 yard groups and will do so all day long and whenever called upon to do so. The .280 Remington is a true 300 yard gun and the supply of .284 bullets is overwhelming. You can shoot anything on this continent, and other continents with this great caliber. I have recenyly had the barrel turned down a bit and recriened, then parkerized. Is was 26", was then 19", and now is 18.5" and is still a MOA gun with factory 140 grain Remington SP's. Try one, you will fall in love with it, myself and many others have. Come over to visit in the centerfire section of the H&R section and ask about the .280 Remington H&R Handirifle, I'll bet you cannot get one person to say a bad word about them. We may say unflattering things about the SL .243's and some other "problem children" of the line, but not the .280. And the 26" barrel can really reach out and touch someone, or some game animal or target...Best of luck....<><....:) 

P.S. - Buckeye Buck, I will be looking for you up in the H&R Centerfire section. I am sure you will be welcomed aboard heartily and will receive lots of responses and information. The .280 Remington should fit your requirements perfectly....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline Buckeye_Buck

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2008, 12:20:21 PM »
Hey, thanks for the info.  No wonder I couldn't find much on the Handi-Mags!  The .280 is indeed a great suggestion.  Is it basically the same as a 7mm mag., but without as much recoil?  Any suggestions on a rifle to suit that caliber?  I'll have to check out that H&R section.  Thanks!!!

Offline Ditchdigger

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2008, 03:38:45 PM »
I've owned both the 280 and the 45 70 in the Handi rifles and they were both accurate enough for hunting purposes. 1 1/2" with the 280 and sometime less with the 45 70. Both shot factory ammo very well,but the 45 70 after 30 rds. was the only gun I've ever shot that left my shoulder black and blue.I shoot a 300 Wby mag alot and its never done that to my shoulder,even with full house loads.
The Optima Elite is another good choice also.My 45 70 on my Elite is just plain fun to shoot,and its also accurate. Alot of people think the Elite is ugly and doesn't have the clean lines of the Handi's,but thats up to the guy's own way of looking at it. The design of the Elite stock,the recoil pad,and other things give it about 30% less felt recoil,and alot less muzzle climb than the Handi's. The Handis come with a scope rail on the barrel,but the Elites dont.The Elites come with a very good sling though. I own 5 Handis at this time,and 1 Optima Elite frame with 5 barrels. For now the Elites get carried the most on my every evening hunts for wild hogs. You can't hardly go wrong with either one,but the Elites take less tinkering to shoot good for me.    Digger
Rest in Peace Old Friend July 2017