Author Topic: 45 LC, 5shot???  (Read 935 times)

Offline Cookiemann

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Apple Valley, MN
45 LC, 5shot???
« on: February 18, 2008, 11:26:39 AM »
Is there such a thing, and if there is WHO MAKES IT.  I'm askin' if there is a "small/medium frame" 45LC, 5 shot revolver.  Thanks

cookiemann
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline Golfswithwolves

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: 45 LC, 5shot???
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2008, 12:11:28 PM »
You're in luck! Freedom Arms makes their Model 97 with exactly the things you're looking for.

Offline Cookiemann

• Apple Valley, MN
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2008, 01:22:55 PM »
Thanks, golfs....
I can't afford their prices, but it doesn't cost anything to look  ;D

cookie
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2008, 12:52:42 AM »
Cookieman - when you say 'small/medium frame' I am going to assume you are thinking of a personal/carry sidearm and if Golfswithwolves is going to suggest a Freedom Arms, which is too expensive for you, then how about a 1873 Colt replica - much less expensive, 6 shot but you only carry 5, medium frame with some smaller handguns available. 

I am assuming, again and twice in the same response is dangerous, that you are interested in a personal/carry sidearm, possibly for woods carry.  You didn't say anything about hunting and you didn't specify double action so I suggested a replica.  Look at the Cimarron Arms brochure - I'm absolutely certain they would have something that would please your eye and be much nicer to your wallet.  HTH.  Mikey.

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2008, 05:15:00 AM »
NOT that this is a recommendation mind you but merely an answer to your question. Taurus makes a medium frame .45 Colt or at least did make them in their Tracker line. I had two one that was junk and a replacement that wasn't much better. I no longer have one. But they do make them.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2008, 09:29:36 AM »
cheapest hunting type 5 shot 45 would be a BFR you can get one for under a grand. Other then that its custom on a ruger or a FA and your looking at 1500 minimum. To me though there well worth the extra as the bfrs dont impress me much. Lots of guy will argue that point though and are more then happy with theres.
blue lives matter

Offline Cookiemann

• Apple Valley, MN
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2008, 10:11:20 AM »
Mikey, you are pretty much right on with your assumptions.  Something to carry in the woods and just out walkin'.  A 45 is large enough caliber to finish a deer, if neccessary, without being too messy.  Like a 2nd shot with a slug gun.  Ruger advertises a Davidsons exclusive with a short barrel in 45LC.  Is that a larger frame than the ones you spoke of?  I asked about a 5 shot because I want the smaller frame size for ease of carry.  Lots of choices if I would go with the 357, which is an option.  It's just that I would like to have a 45LC.

GB,  YES, YES, YES.....I have been reading your posts as well as others, the Taurus is NOT being considered.  I fired on of their 22 revolvers and have handled other calibers.  Just don't like the feel of them and don't need the worry of "is this gonna be a dudd" after I buy it.

Thanks for your input, guys.
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline warrior1

• A Real Regular
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2008, 02:10:34 PM »
i've got a taurus 460 tracker 5 shot. haven't had a problem seems to like 8-9 grs unique.
i guess i'm one of the lucky ones. if you like single action a ruger blackhawk 4 5/8"
might be a dandy choice.
Dan Deluca aka "warrior1" has passed away.  Dan was a frequent poster here and on several other sites.  He passed away on 12/29/08 from a massive heart attack. RIP Dan.

Offline Tom W.

• Moderators
  • Warning... Does not play well with others!
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2008, 02:40:50 PM »
I didn't believe GB even would even mention a Taurus... The cold must be getting to him.....
Tom
Alabama Hunter and firearms safety instructor

I really like my handguns!

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2008, 03:10:09 PM »
Cookieman:  I'm sorry but I don't know what the frame size is on that particular Ruger.  It may well be a Blackhawk frame, which is their medium frame used for 357s.  I think the larger framed Super Blackhawk is the frame for the 44 Magnums and 45 Colts.  I don't really know if Ruger would put a 45 Colt caliber on a medium frame seeing as how the round can be loaded to high pressures. 

I have handled some of the replica 1873 Colts and the 1875 Remingtons made by Cimarron Arms and they are really sweet.  You could wind up shooting one a lot.  These replicas are CNC made with modern metalurgy. CASS enthusiasts use these revolvers for lots of shooting which means they should hold up.  Mikey. 

Offline kennisondan

• Trade Count: (7)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2008, 05:29:53 PM »
Cookie man : for smaller frame rugers think of the vaquero, it can be loaded enough for any deer, and is lighter than a heavier model.. the blackhawk is a good size... the five shooters are not really smaller really... and the bisley grip associated with them most times is large too..
I would look at the first two rugers mentioned... the five shooters are not for size but for strength in the cylinder for over standard power loadings.. the regular rugers would get you there with the least expenditure and highest performance.. the old model vaquero for the heavier loads and the new vaquero for lower weight and a little lower power loads that will still dispatch a deer as a primary weapon if you want it to.
the blackhawk six shot is a fine weapon .. the 357 is a bit lighter as you mentioned..
I would probably look at a used vaquero and for my use put adjustable sights on it in a 45 colt.. feel a new one and an old for size and fit.. best dollar for dollar out there to me.  the size is also dependant on the grip and the barrel length .. feel a couple up and make a choice.. it will not be your last any way..

dk

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2008, 11:39:14 PM »
I personaly dont see a big gain in going from a 6 shot 45 on a large framed ruger to a 5 shot. but then i cast bullets and a 6 shot ruger 45 will push them as fast as they are effecient anyway. What i can see that would be neat is a small framed vaquero or aniversary blackhawk chambered in 45 colt or 44 mag. You could shoot the same level loads as the big 6 shot guns and have a neat little carry gun doing it. If your looking for a light weight packing gun you need to keep in mind that when you go with a 5 shot its going to be heavier and usually the guns are fitted with new bull barrels too and thats more weight. I had Clements make me up a little gun on a large framed ruger. What it is is a stainless vaquero in 6 shot 45 that was fitted with an alumiinum black hawk grip frame and ejector rod housing all bead blasted to match. The cylinder was black powder champered and the loading gate and recoil shield were scalloped for more weight reduction. I had him cut it to 4 inch and shorten the ejector housing. Its a cool light gun but when you start running 320s at 1300 fps out of it recoil  with those std. blackhawk grips gives my 500s a run for the money.
blue lives matter

Offline Chris Potts

• Avid Poster
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2008, 12:46:17 PM »
I've wondered if anyone was making five shoot conversions on the new vaquero.  It would make a really nice gun for carrying.  If you could use the old frame loads in the conversion it sure would pack a punch.

Chris

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2008, 12:42:14 AM »
Hamilton Bowen and Dave Clements are both doing 45 colt and 44 mag 5 shot conversions on the new small frame rugers.
blue lives matter

Offline Cookiemann

• Apple Valley, MN
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2008, 12:09:51 PM »
Small frame, you mean the SP101 frame, right Lloyd??
NOT ON MY WATCH

"AIM small...MISS small"

Offline slabsides

« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2008, 10:26:56 AM »
I like the .45 LC too, and have one, a Blackhawk convertable. But for the best buy in a light powerful woods gun, I'd go away from the .45. A standard Blackhawk 4-3/4" in .41 Magnum gives you decent portability and reasonable bulk and weight, plenty of accuracy, and manageable power at a NON-custom price. Mine is an old model, and so, in effect, a five shot. I load it with a 240 gr. RNFP cast in an old .401 Win bullet mold, but it has plenty of power with OTC 210 grs. My bear guide pard has put lots of angry bears to sleep with our loads. No better than a .45, maybe, but certainly no worse. 
If you are committed to the .45, a standard Blued Blackhawk with its aluminum grip frame and ejector rod housing is the best mix of economy and capability. Vaqueros, with their fixed sights and inability to sight in a variety of loads are best reserved for playing cowboy, IMO.