Author Topic: 458 win mag  (Read 599 times)

Offline JonD.

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (34)
458 win mag
« on: February 22, 2008, 09:32:58 AM »
Will an SB2 receiver withstand the pressures generated by a .458 Winchester magnum? If so, has anyone ever rechambered a 45-70 or .450 marlin for such a beast? My guess is if it will hold up an extra long recoil pad would be needed. ;D

Offline rex6666

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
Re: 458 win mag
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2008, 09:45:09 AM »
AND A LARGE POCKET BOOK. ;D ::)
Rex
GOD GUNS and GUTS MADE AMERICA GREAT

Texas is good for men and dogs, but it is hell on women and horses.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2008, 09:59:56 AM »
It may very well hold up at least for a while until the underlug sets back and the barrel gets loose, even the 500 S&W Handi has done that too often, although H&R will replace the barrels on those, that wouldn't be an option after the rechamber. But even hot 45-70 loads have too much recoil for most folks, a Limbsaver pad and weight or MRS in the stock would help in that respect.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline JonD.

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2008, 02:04:36 PM »
Rex, you are absolutely right!! I didn't realize how high this ammo had gotten! A quick look-see on midwayusa listed the lowest priced ammo at $65 dollars for a box of 20. WOW!! I think I had better just see about finding a 45-70 Handi and sticking with it.

Offline JonD.

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2008, 02:08:29 PM »
Quickdtoo, the underlug issue you are talking about, this is the 3/8 or so dowell pin in the frame that the barrel hooks into or are you referring to the block on the barrel itself?

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2008, 02:11:52 PM »
I just recently read a report of shooting the 45-70 with heavy hard cast bullets at dangerous game in Africa. They reported that a 500 grain slug went clean through a Buf and dropped him n his tracks. I would think that a 45-70 would be plenty for any thing you want to shoot at this side of 200 yards in the North American Continent. If you are serious about needing a .458 Magnum then get a good bolt action or a double rifle, some thing that you can have at least a second shot with, in a hurry. Personally, the 45-70 with full loads is way more recoil than I want to deal with in an eight pound rifle.
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2008, 02:14:37 PM »
The underlug is the part the ejector/extractor in housed in, the pivot point at the front of the underlug will compress with too much pressure and make the barrel loose on the frame when it's locked up. See the Underlug Improvement thread in the FAQs for more info.

Tim

Offline JonD.

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2008, 02:34:36 PM »
I see. Would a guy be able to build this up with a little tig-weld and then re-machine?

LaOtto, Naw, I don't need something like this, I was just pondering mostly. I do have a 45-70 chambered rifle on my wish list. I think I'm going to get one in a Handi-- that is if the boss OK's it. If your married you know who the boss is. ;D No, I don't need a cannon anywhere near this, I'm going to use the 45-70 on deer (and hopefully a bull elk) at 150 or less, maybe 200 at the MOST. The .458 idea was one those "what if" notions. ;D ;D ;D

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2008, 02:47:26 PM »
Ricci Price tried some improvements involving welding, but I dunno how well it worked out, he has posted in almost a year. Try some mid level lever gun loads in it and you may find out you don't even want to go into low Ruger data!!

Tim

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,65451.msg397797.html#msg397797

Offline FW Conch

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2008, 09:23:50 PM »
   I'm new here & I also saw the article about the great performance of the 130 year old 45-70 on the African big 5.  They talked of how it penetrated 3 or 4 feet of " big bad critter" & had pictures to prove it. It made me wonder why they even bothered to develop the 458, the 577, the 505 Gibb's, etc., when they already had such an effective round.  But, the more we have, the more we can collect, hobby, compair, & talk about. Hope everyone agrees ! :)   Jim
Jim

Offline silver surfer

• Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2008, 02:09:48 AM »
FW Conch,
  I beleive most of these "magnums" and Nitro Express rounds developed well after the venerable 45-70.  Also most of the NE guns were of British design and manufacture.  It's a case of different time, different place more or less.   I've read alot of books about African and Indian dangerous game hunting, Ruark, Seluios, Corbett, Taylor, and Capstick; just about anything I can get my hands on and I think most people would be shocked to find what the "Great White Hunters" used back in the day.  William D.S. Bell was reported to have shot over 1000 elephants mainly using a .275 Rigby (basicly a British version of the 7x57 Mauser)!  To read most of these reviews today that would seem impossible. ::)  Jump over to the Afrian Hunting forum and read the 5+ pages of argument over how inadequate a 45-70 is.  If I could just get someone to sponsor me and the BC I'd be happy to go to the Dark Continent and settle that debate once and for all ;D!
"Blamin a gun for shootin people is like blamin your pencil for misspellin a word!"
  Larry the Cable Guy

Offline FW Conch

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2008, 04:26:37 AM »
     :) You are right "Surfer" !  And it's nice to know we can take any game on the planet with a "Handy" @ a reasonable price! I'm going to check out one of those books, especially one by "Karamoja" Bell !  Thanks  8)  Jim
Jim