Author Topic: Scope zero on a NEF Rifle  (Read 422 times)

Offline Herman Lesley

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
Scope zero on a NEF Rifle
« on: February 23, 2008, 07:38:02 AM »
I am new to the NEF Rifle. I read in other posts that for consistency the front bag should be placed with the trigger guard pushed into it.

If the scope is sighted in this way, will there be any difference in point of aim if the rifle is shot offhand or with the hand holding the forearm resting on a shooting house window?

I just bought a 45-70 and mounted a Browning 2x7x32 scope on it. I have handloaded my ammo for several years and I am going to load for my 45-70.
Does anyone have any loads for the Barnes 250 gr TSX bullet? I know all guns are different, but I would like to get ideas from other 45-70 shooters.

I also read that the 45-70 NEF Rifle can be loaded with the Marlin 1895 45-70 loads, so that will give me a place to start.

Thanks

Herman

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Scope zero on a NEF Rifle
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2008, 08:10:10 AM »
Welcome aboard Herman!! ;) The best way to know if your rifle will shoot different when rested on the forend, is to shoot it that way and see if there's a difference, then you'll know. Usually a fully bedded forend will be best, but each rifle is different and what works for one, won't work the same for another.

I have the 250gr and 300gr TSX .458" bullets, but haven't shot them yet, Mac shot them in a CVA Optima Elite which shot them very well, other than that, I have no other suggestion other than send Ty Herring an email at Barnes asking for any Trapdoor, 1895 Marlin and Ruger No 1 load data he may have. You can also use the 250gr XFN data in the #3 manual and the TSX loading guidelines on the Barnes site.

Tim

http://www.barnesbullets.com/information/load-data/

http://www.barnesbullets.com/information/load-data/tsx-guidelines/

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2008, 10:49:01 AM »
Herman

Welcome Aboard

I have only seen minor shift in POA on my 45/70s , less than 1"@ 100 , can't help with the Barnes as i shoot mostly cast in mine . The Handi will take the Marlin loads but your shoulder may not  :o   with it being a lighter rifle recoil tends to determine load level more than anything else .

Since you are going to load for it you may want to give some of the 300 to 405 grain case bullets a try , you may be pleasantly surprised as to how well they shoot .

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline Daniel Laws

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2008, 04:47:10 AM »
Quick has me beat on 45-70's, I've only got 3.  Shikari, BC, and Shorty.  Shorty is a standard 22 in. barrel, cut off to 18 in.  I've got a Monte Carlo stock on it, with an old Shikari fore end on it.  I turned a 12 mm bolt to the configuration of a sling stud and epoxied it into the ramrod channel, with the stud part sticking out straight in front.  Truly handy, especially in a box stand.  Shorty killed 5 deer last year, using 300 gr. Hornady  FPHP bullets, loaded to the top of the trapdoor levels.  I shot one big 8 pointer, quartering away, at about 60 yds.  Went in about the last rib on the left side, exited about halfway up the neck on the right.  Hit 2 ribs going in, clipped the spine, 2 ribs going out.  About 27 inches of penetration, hit bones, and still exited.  You don't have to step on a 45-70 too hard to achieve results.  And it doesn't pound you while it does it's thing.  With this rig, I don't really see much accuracy difference in the way I hold the gun, or rest it.  I did bed the fore end to the barrel with epoxy, and it is pretty stiff due to the large barrel dia. and short length.