Author Topic: stronger handi rifle  (Read 602 times)

Offline no.country

• Trade Count: (0)
stronger handi rifle
« on: February 24, 2008, 08:02:35 AM »
Hi Guys & Gals  this my very 1st post so go easy on me not too much bruising the 1st time around.
My question has to do with the action that handles the Rem 7mm Mag and such. Has anyone  done
a 300 mag. I would be interested in doing a 308 Norm Mag  on say a 30-06 or maybe even a
358 Norm Mag that way you can load down to 358Win or 35 Whelen or  up to the 358 NM.
The same would be true of the 308NM. anybody done  any of this yet and what are you
results.            Thank you for your time   no.country

Offline Saloon slug

• Contributor
  • Eastern NC
From the halls of Montezuma

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: stronger handi rifle
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2008, 08:44:25 AM »
Welcome to GBO!  ;) The Handi-mags were cancelled before they ever made it to production, so for now there are now mag frames and probably never will be.  :'(

I tried a 300WSM barrel and got too much action flex even at 30-06 velocities, so the larger case head and subsequent bolt thrust of mag chamberings is just too much for even a late model SB2 frame, stick with a 30-06 case head size or smaller and pressures of 65kpsi or less and you'll probably be ok, 62kpsi would be better.

Tim

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php/topic,137657.msg1098534741.html#msg1098534741
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline McLernon

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2008, 11:22:15 AM »
It is really too bad that NEF decided not to design and manufacture the magnums as I am sure it would have given them cause to revisit some of the design issues of the SB-2 that have been discussed on this forum.  There is always constructive 'spin-off' when something new is developed.

I am afraid to ask about the 45-70 Ultra.

Mc

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2008, 11:59:24 AM »
I asked about the SS Ultra, it was still good to go as of 2/11/08 when I asked, dunno when it will be available tho, April or later I think.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline billy_56081

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2008, 12:27:48 PM »
I'd think a person could get a "magnumised" handi by having one reamed out to on of the Gibbs cartidges and some judacious handloading. I am thinking of sending my frame in for one of the 26" 280's and having this done. I'd also have the throat long enough to allow me to seat the bullets out quite a bit.
99% of all Lawyers give the other 1% a bad name. What I find hilarious about this is they are such an arrogant bunch, that they all think they are in the 1%.

Offline McLernon

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2008, 12:37:32 PM »
The SB-2 frame has been pretty well ruled out for any magnums, I think.

Mc