Author Topic: Mule Deer Hunt Research Help  (Read 1442 times)

Offline agdexter

• Trade Count: (0)
Mule Deer Hunt Research Help
« on: July 09, 2003, 10:32:06 AM »
I have been designated as a researcher for me and seven friends to set up a Mule Deer hunt. All of us are experience Whitetail hunters. We are looking for the ability for all of us to go together and hunt Mule deer. The opportunity to hunt Elk as well would be a plus, but not required. Most likely it would all be rifle, but we are all experienced muzzleloader hunters if that will make a difference. I have read on the subject, but really don't know about all the many varied rules and regulations of each possible state.

What I am looking for is some specific state and specific area recommendations to have the highest chance of success. Most of us will only have one shot at this (no pun intended).

I also need to know the best way to go about this type of project. We are looking at 2005. Any help to keep us from falling on our faces will be appreciated.

If anyone can recommend a specific guide or outfitter, who they KNOW is a straight shooter and delivers the goods, I would appreciate name and contact information.

Thanks
It only hurts for a minute

Offline freddogs

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2003, 11:06:11 AM »
:D What are your trophy expectations. Do you all want 4X4s or  better with 28" spreads or are you just looking for a buck? Do you have your own camping gear or do you need a motel. What kind of physical shape is everybody in. Do you have 4 wheel drive vehicles? Give us a little more data and we can help you better. :sniper:

Offline renegade

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2003, 12:10:58 AM »
I'm in the same boat. I applied for antlered deer tags in Wyoming region D for a DIY hunt but was unsuccessful. So I am now trying to decide on leftover tags but am getting to the point where I'm ready to give up. The bottom line is that my spouse and father who incidently are my hunting partners in this are not ready to shell out big bucks for a deer hunt. I'm willing to but I'm going to listen to the group. I have 4X4 and camping gear.  My expectations are for a 4X4 buck with a nice spread or character rack. I would like a Mule Deer mount for my petting zoo. We planned to stay in a motel for convenience but knowing full well that we would be leaving early and arriving back late during the deer hunt. We will still be going to Wyoming as we all drew antelope tags for area 32 but it would be nice to have had the chance at mule deer. This is not the type of trip I can make too often. I would certainly be interested in good information or help for this year in Wyoming and information on what I should look at doing to have a reasonable shot a nice mulie in future years should this year not pan out for me. Thanks.

Rene W. Cadene
Hunting , Fishing and Sledding...love em all

Offline agdexter

freddogs answers
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2003, 08:07:37 AM »
In answer to your questions. Most of us have 4X4's. We are in our 40's or early 50's. Moderate to good shape, with all the collective beginnings aches and pains that go with being those ages. We are hoping to come home with decent racks and stories to tell. We will probably want to avoid extended camping. I think the use of a guide or outfitter would be wise, since this will be new and different to us. I am still not sure if there are places we can all get Mule Deer tags, or it will all be draws to see who is lucky. - Thanks
It only hurts for a minute

Offline Lawdog

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2003, 11:54:18 AM »
The 4 best states that I would recommend would be Colorado, Idaho, Montana and Wyoming.  The web site addresses follows;

Idaho
http://www2.state.id.us/fishgame/hunt/hunt.htm
Montana
http://www.fwp.state.mt.us/hunting/default.aspx
Wyoming
http://gf.state.wy.us/
Colorado
http://parks.state.co.us/
Here you want to go to Search then do a Hunting search.

I would start my search at these agencies.  You should be able to get information on guides also.  Just ask for references and CHECK OUT THE REFERENCES.  I personally had my best combo hunts for both Elk and Mule Deer in Idaho with Colorado next.  If I can help you any more, this wasn't much, just ask.  Lawdog
Gary aka Lawdog is now deceased. He passed away on Jan. 12, 2006. RIP Lawdog. We miss you.

Offline Leanwolf

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2003, 08:54:12 AM »
I'm going to second-the-motion as to what Lawdog posted.

Idaho is a very good state for both General Season elk and Mule deer, and non-resident tags are very easy to buy. Caveat: the Controlled bull elk and buck deer tags, either resident or non-resident, are much more difficult to draw.

I.e., I've been applying for Controlled Bull Elk and Controlled Buck Deer, for the past six years, and just this year, I and my two hunting buddies were lucky enough to be drawn as a party-of-three for a prime Controlled Bull Elk hunt, in Unit 37A, in Oct. There were only 70 tags issued for this Unit, which is about 250/300 square miles, and contains some really big bulls. We've yet to be drawn for Controlled Buck deer, but we're mighty pleased about the Controlled Bull elk tickets for this fall.

That said, hunting the General elk and deer seasons has been productive, also.

If you're coming to Idaho, try to be in as good shape as possible.  Much of the hunting areas here is in steep, rough country.

Know the trajectories of your rifles waaaaay out there.  Some elk and Mule deer are taken "up close"; some "at a fer piece."  You never know out here in the West, but you'd better know where that bullet hits at not only 75 yards... but at 400 yards.

You and your hunting buddies should have GOOD binoculars. A GOOD binocular can save you a lot of steep walking, quite often.

Even though you're not looking for this fall, I'd contact the Idaho Fish & Game in Boise, and request a copy of the 2003 Big Game regs, so you can kinda get familiar with areas, and units and Controlled draws, and hunting season dates, muzzleloader, centerfire, and archery, etc., etc., etc.  Future regs and areas will likely be NEARLY the same as this fall. You can also show them to your buddies and you and they can discuss them.

Here's a site for Idaho outfitters.

www.ioga.org

Remember, if you wanna book an outfitter, just as Lawdog said, references, references, references... and call a bunch of the references!  Some outfitters are, uhhhh, better than others, shall I say?

Good luck and good hunting.

L.W.

Online Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2003, 12:07:38 PM »
I believe that in CO the mule deer tags are still over the counter but elk is not. Might however be the other way around. Dunno.

Anyway I went once to a place that would be great for you folks if you want to look into it. The land was located between Rifle and Meeker and is owned by Bryce Purky who also owns the meat packing house in Meeker where everyone in that area takes their game to be processed. Information should be able to put you in touch with him.

He has a cabin with about 5-6 bedrooms way back in the mountains. You'll definitely want a 4x4 going back in there and either it or four wheelers to get around on the ranch. He usually rents the cabin out to groups and you might be able to contact him and rent it for your group.

There are both mule deer and elk on the place. I think later season hunts are usually best. We were there in first season and maybe half the guys got a deer and two got elk. I'd not call it a trophy destination but a good place to get a relatively cheap first experience at hunting deer and elk. There are also black bear and cougar on the ranch and both were seen by hunters but no one killed one. Those tags were over the counter also and he encourages shooting them if seen.

This is a working cattle ranch and there is a good bit of BLM land adjoinging it. Sorry I don't have his number but if you are interested you should be able to get a phone number for his packing house in Meeker pretty easily.

GB

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline freddogs

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2003, 05:13:10 PM »
:D It took me awhile to get back here but here I am. Hunting in Wyoming is always either time or money. Mostly I only have time. All my hunting has been mostly unguided. One time a rancher drove my buddy around all day while hunting antelope. He would drop us off and then pick us up. We both got our antelope that day. Antelope are a lot easier to come by than mule deer. I hunted 32 for antelope a few years ago. We hunted walk in areas and stayed in a motel. Trespass fees were pretty low in the Casper area. They are higher in NE Wyoming.
You need to get the Wyoming Application booklet.The regional F&G phone #s are in there.The wildlife biologist is the person who can tell you where to go.

Offline freddogs

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2003, 09:35:05 AM »
:D If you want to go to Wyoming this year you had better talk to a chamber of commerce of a town  in an area that has extra licenses. Often thay have lists of ranchers that take hunters and what species they allow hunting for on that ranch. Get a copy of the list and start calling. Do not write them because it takes too long and people seldom reply. Call them, be polite, explain what you want. Tell them what quality of animal you're looking for.ask what fees thay charge, ask about size of ranch, terrain, and how many other hunters they have. If they can't accomodate you they may know someone who can, ask.
Wyoming has some access programs that you can find out about on their website. My friends and I had thousands of acres to antelope hunt one year through one such  program. If you find an area talk to the local biologist about your chance for success.
Another tip is that you don't have to hunt opening day. Some seasons are a month long. Planning a hunt on the second or third weekend may give you a lot less competition. A week after the opener a lot of game animals settle down to close to normal behavior. Some good ranches that are full the first week may be empty after a week or so.
If you can not go this year start planning for next. If you are going to be hunting for antelope this year ask local people about hunting oppertunities while you're out there. Meat processers sometimes hear of good areas. Game Wardens know where the game is and how much hunting pressure is on different areas. Someone you talk to may give you a good tip.
If you feel you need a guide, the Wyoming outfitters assoc. puts out a list of members. If you talk to aguide and he sounds good get references and call them.
One last tip.If your hunting partner gets on your nerves hunting around home he/she will be much worse in another state together for a week or more. Good companions make or break a hunting trip.

Offline crow_feather

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2003, 10:19:09 AM »
If you can get a tag for the 700 area of eastern Montana, you can hunt  their Block management units - free.   I used to hunt the Brown Ranch there and collected an antelope, white tail, and a mule deer in a five day trip.

Those days are gone as "B" tags can no longer be purchased over the counter, but I remember the bucks I did see there and they had quite a few.  It is open plains hunting - no tree will block your shot.  There was a three point out there so big and wide that five pointers would hide their antlers in shame.

If you get drawn for the Buck Tag, there is opportunity for a doe tag also if desired.  Not many Elk out on the grasslands though.

If you decide on Wyoming, try the area south of Rawlins known as the Atlantic Rim Escarpement.  You hunt the draws in the flats or climb the escarpment and spot and stalk.  Both were great successful hunts.
IF THE WORLD DISARMED, WE WOULD BE SPEAKING THE LANGUAGE USED BY THE AGGRESSIVE ALIENS THAT LIVE ON THE THIRD MOON OF JUPITOR.