Author Topic: Gulf Shores Alabama- any suggestions?  (Read 443 times)

Offline bluebayou

• Trade Count: (0)
Gulf Shores Alabama- any suggestions?
« on: February 25, 2008, 03:19:58 PM »
I know that certain people hail from the Heart of Dixie.  Do you know any good things to do in/around Gulf Shores?  The inlaws are paying for a stay during the first week of June.  Will be inlaws, grand parents inlaw and my family.  Going to spend 4-5 days there.  We have 6 year old and 2 year old.

Supposedly there is a place to go see dolphins otherwise, the men folk are going fishing.  Other than that.........does anyone know a good guide?  Any good family attractions?

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Re: Gulf Shores Alabama- any suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2008, 09:24:56 AM »
Too many years since I've been down there but back then we fished and swam at the beach but then I was in my 20s then so I'd say it's likely been close to 40 years since we went down there. Maybe some of the guys who live down in the southern part of the state will chime in.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Moss88hunter

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2008, 03:45:27 AM »
My family goes down there every other year and there is plenty to do. We went deep sea fishing last year and had a great guide, we caught our limit in almost everything. I can't think of the name right off the top of my head but I will try to find out and post tomorrow. There is a factory outlet a little north of gulf shores (not a lot of stuff for guys though) After the hurricane ruined the pier I started fishing off of the beach and you can catch a lot of fish like that. There is plenty of great restaurants to eat at,like DeSoto's, the shrimp basket, or bahama bob's. If you like historical stuff Fort Morgan is pretty interesting. There is also some stuff to do in orange beach.

Evan
"It is better to be tried by twelve than carried by six!"

Offline bluebayou

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2008, 05:03:01 AM »
I remember fishing in some brackish water when I was kid and we went to Galveston.  Was thinking to take my son somewhere similiar. 

If you could find out the name of the guide then that would be great.  The guys are fishing no matter what.  I have never been out past 200 yards or so.  I want my son to have something to remember. 

Bill, was hoping that you knew something about the area.  Thanks anyway. 

Offline Moss88hunter

• Avid Poster
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2008, 06:36:46 AM »
I finally figured it out the name of the guide. The boats name is Chippers Clipper and the captains name is Chip Day. There was six of us on the boat not counting the captain and the deck hand. It was not crowded at all. We got out far enough that we couldn't see the shore and kept going. Here is the best link I could find:
http://www.orangebeach.ws/fishingcharters.html

Also there is a water park called waterville (www.watervilleusa.com) it is a nice place for you to go and relax. It has a lazy river ride where you just lay in an inner tube and float around.

On the other side of the main road (beach blvd.) is a lagoon called little lagoon. It is a great place to fish in some spots. It connects to the ocean and depending on how old your son is you can catch crabs, hermit crabs, and baitfish there.The water in little lagoon is not as clear as the ocean but you can see the bottom until about 3.5--4 ft. In the ocean when the tide is just right I have been out over my head and could still see the bottom with goggles on.

I have a couple of pictures of the fishing trip. If you want to see them you can pm me your email address.

Two side notes if you fish in little lagoon or on the beach you will catch a lot of catfish. They have spikes on them that have a slime on them. If you get poked by them it is very uncomfortable and deep pokes are prone to infection. If you are going to fish off of the beach DON'T take a good reel. Sand will get inside and wear the gears down. Just stop by wally world and pick one up when you can also get your week long fishing permit.

Hope this helps! Evan

Offline williamlayton

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2008, 11:51:23 AM »
I don't know how the area is after the last hurricanes but, if you golf, you will love it.
If yo want to fish there are a number of guides in the area too include offshore.
The water and the beaches used too be the best--see the hurricane disclaimer--and you will really enjoy the stay---especially in comparison to Galveston.
Blessings 
TEXAS, by GOD

Offline MUTTLY

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2008, 02:56:44 PM »
Gulf Shores is a great place, it is geared to tourists, once you get past the t-shirt shops and garbage it is alot of fun. Younger kids will like the zoo and Ft. Morgan (damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead!)

Don't forget to check the Blue Angels practice schedule, Pensacola is minutes away, looks like they are flying June 3, 4, 18, 24, &25

http://www.blueangels.navy.mil/schedules.htm

And find one of the shrimp boat docks, I can't eat shrimp in MI anymore, nothing like having a  shrimp boil with shrimp right off the boat.

Offline bluebayou

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2008, 05:43:50 PM »
awesome

this gives some good places to start.

The Blue Angels sounds great

Galveston was waaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyy back in time (the 70's).  I have heard that it is different now.

Evan, I appreciate the details.  I will IM you. 

I remember going to Galveston and to Rehobeth Beach, Lewes Delaware.  Went fishing both times as a kid and had a blast casting into the surf and fishing the brackish water.  Never been on a deep sea boat.  Going to give the kid some Dramamine. 

going to be a great trip I think.

Thanks everybody.

Offline Moss88hunter

• Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2008, 07:50:19 PM »
Yea I forgot to recommend the dramamine. I thought that I would be alright but even with the patches I still felt a little queasy. I was fine when I had something to do like fish but when we started moving to a different place it made me uneasy. I laid down on the beds in the front of the boat and I was fine.

Evan