Author Topic: 410 slug gun  (Read 2337 times)

Offline Illhunter

• Trade Count: (14)
  • A Real Regular
410 slug gun
« on: February 23, 2008, 04:47:18 PM »
do they make a slug barrel in 410 i am thinking of getting mossberg 500 or a coach gun or a nef pardner. This is a curiousity question. How is the accuracy and range of a 410 slug from a smoothbore barrel.

Offline nkhunter

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: 410 slug gun
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2008, 07:58:05 AM »
I had a NEF .410 drilled and tapped. I put a red dot on it for my girls that are now ages 8 and 10.  It is basically a bowhunting proposition ~ 40 yards or less. We've graduated to a NEF youth  .50 muzzleloader with 60-70 grain loads.

Offline Questor

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2008, 11:23:09 AM »
I had high hopes that the 410 slug would be a good choice for some kinds of hunting but learned that the slugs only weigh 90 to 100 grains. That cooled my interest in the 410 slug as a hunting cartridge except for perhaps turkey hunting.

So check the full ballistics before deciding on a 410 slugger.

On the accuracy question: I have often read and heard that each barrel is a law unto itself and that the only way to find out about a gun's accuracy is to actually try it out. That's especially true when shooting slugs in smoothbore barrels. For example, my son's old 20 gauge Mossberg 500 Bantam shoots fabulously well with Rottweil 2 3/4" slugs. Groups are about 3" at 50 yards. Wow! But the same gun with Federal slugs doesn't even reliably hit a deer sized target at that range. I had to try several brands of slug before finding a good one for that gun.

I tried the same slugs in my Beretta 20 gauge and found that it shot all of them well. So it wasn't the slug, it was the combination of gun and slug together.

Safety first

Offline nkhunter

« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2008, 02:33:57 AM »
There are no "legitimate" factory loadings. The Brenneke  slugs are 120 grains of hard lead. The .410 has killed a slew of deer but in reality for most situations is very anemic. However little kids can shoot them well. And it's better to put a little bullet in the boiler room at 30 yards than a 20 gauge slug  through the belly or ham at 60 yards. I think that the ammo  manufacturers need to put out a 150-200 grain slug that is a little harder lead but still allows expansion.

Offline scout4

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2008, 07:22:29 AM »
I sure like my 410 bore slug shooter! Posted it in the H&R/NEF section. Its a modified pardner. I had the barrel bobbed/cut to 24" which gave it a cyl. bore and the smithy crowned the muzzle. Drilled an tapped mounted a scope an it is one dandy little shooter! I really believe that to get the best accuracy from the smoothbore gun it needs the bore opened up. This I think is one reason all the older "deer guns" were cylinder bore. Brenneke 410 slugs are probably the best you can get in the way of rifled slugs. I've shot winchesters & remingtons but Brennekes really carry an edge in the way of hard hitting and accuracy. I did manage to obtain a couple boxes of Federal powershok slugs I have yet to shoot. These are about the same weight as brenneke perhaps they'll shoot as well?...Anyway, hope this helps ya some. scout4<><

Offline scout4

• A Real Regular
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2008, 07:58:56 AM »
Here's a picture of my 410er! she's a good one. scout4<><

Offline SHOOTALL

« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2008, 08:24:30 AM »
ballistic PRODUCTS has some slugs for the 410 if you hand load . the easiest way to get a 410 slug gun may be the winchester or marlin lever guns . then an 870 or such the single shots fer sure are good bets . how about the old bolt guns ?
I would use the slug and the 000 buck w/five shot . There are people that hunt in areas i hunt that use them with good success . now a 5/16 slug weighs 137.5 gr , at 1200 fps not the hammer of Thor but workable . The 5-000 buck will do what any shot gun with 000 buck will do the shot moving at 1200 fps don't know what ga. gun they come from .
And most 410 i have shot have a habit of tight patterned with buck shot .
in some areas its best to be quiet and the 410 makes less noise .
longest shot i have heard about ( in local paper ) 73 yards all 3 -000 buck were in deers neck . ( hunter was using a 3 shot 000 buck load ) alot of 12 ga that go deer hunting can't do any better !
If ya can see it ya can hit it !