Author Topic: Newbie here  (Read 317 times)

Offline oldrookie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Newbie here
« on: February 27, 2008, 03:53:52 AM »
Hey folks! Newbie here and to the world of shotguns believe it or not. Looking at buying a NEF 12g for turkey. In looking at the turkey model the barrel comes with full choke. Will this be decent out to 35-40 yards with proper load? Didn't know if it is an absolute must to have XXchoke for turkey. If so, why do they put a full choke barrel on a turkey model? Thanks for any information in advance.

Offline Doublebass73

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (46)
Re: Newbie here
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2008, 05:46:56 PM »
Welcome,

A 16 gauge with a full choke will do fine out to that distance. Just pattern some different loads and see what works the best. Chokes are mostly marketing hype. Many turkeys are killed each year with mod choked shotguns. You don't need XX turkey chokes to kill a turkey.

16 gauge has the old school coolness factor to it.
"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."

---- William Pitt (the Younger), Speech in the House of Commons, November 18, 1783

Offline plumberroy

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
Re: Newbie here
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2008, 07:20:04 PM »
contrary to what the ammo makers,gunmakers, chokemakers  and gunwriters want  you to believe turkeys are not armor plated!(they are trying to sell you something) I shoot a gun at news papper with a dot on it to check point of aim and if the pattern has any thin spots(several times) then go to my pop can test  with a 16 or 12 ga starting at 40 yards, shoot at a 12 oz pop can if I get more than 8-10 pellets hitting target I more it back a yard or two and try again if I don't get 8-10 hits  I move it closer once  I get in the 8-10 hits range I fire several to make sure of consistancy that Is my max range  use #4's #5's or #6's for turkey witch ever give you the best pattern. using the right shot for the game you are hunting this method seems to work for about any small game IMHO
Roy
Every breath I take as a Free man was paid for with the blood of an American Soldier