Author Topic: NEF barrel problem-adverted disaster  (Read 734 times)

Offline ThomasB

• Trade Count: (0)
NEF barrel problem-adverted disaster
« on: February 28, 2008, 07:32:02 PM »
Well, guess its a good thing that I didn't get a chance to pattern my turkey gun yet. While cleaning it up
last night I thought I saw something after I got the "test fire" film out of the barrel. Looked like a 1/4 inch
scratch just past the breech and at first I thought I may have done that with the cleaning rod. I got to
thinking about it though and tonight checked it with a strong light and a magnifying glass. Its a crack about
1/4in. long just past the breech on the bottom where the bbl starts. Though the magnifying glass I can see
that it runs to the left in a "quarter circle" pattern back to the breech. I took the barrel off again and can see nothing from the outside of the barrel, but am not going to take any chances and return it to the gun shop and have them order me another one.
 Has anyone else ever come across this problem? How did NEF let this one get past their quality control?
This is dangerous to the Nth degree. To say I'm a little peeved would be an understatement!
Tom
Thomas B.

Offline ThomasB

Re: NEF barrel problem-adverted disaster
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2008, 08:01:08 AM »
 Contacted NEF and they said to just send it in and they will fit it with new bbl and reimburse me for the
shipping cost. Excellent service and I'm sure this is a rare occurrence with this particular barrel. Read them the
serial number and they said it was made this last December. Still, its a dangerous situation and I'm glad I
cleaned and checked the barrel before getting anxious and test fired/patterned it.
Tom
Thomas B.

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2008, 08:13:10 AM »
Thanks for the update ThomasB, they usually are great at CS. As we all know "stuff" happens. It is lucky that you cleaned and checked over your new gun before firing it. This should be a lesson to us ail and something we all should do before we fire any gun we acquire, new or used...Thanks for letting us know about your experience....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline oldrookie

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2008, 09:11:46 AM »
Glad to hear you checked it out first. I am new to shot guns but having shot a lot of muzzleloader loads, you get in the habit of inspecting everything. I will be buying a 12g Pardner shortly and truly appreciate the reminder!