Author Topic: an interesting occurance at the range  (Read 521 times)

Offline Scibaer

• Central Michigan, USA, Earth
  • Trade Count: (25)
  • FATE FAVORS THE WISE
an interesting occurance at the range
« on: February 28, 2008, 02:39:28 PM »
my neigbhor set up a place for us to shoot. next to a corn field, he had a pile of sand dumped at 125 yards from the end of his garage.
he made a bench and a backstop. we set the back stop at 50 yards for some plinking. it was warmer, no wind and the sun was out so we went out and shot some.
 i had some 405 gr. flat nose bullets and wanted to see what they'd do. enter the milk jug. i hit the jug full of water dead center and the jug shreaded, spraying water all over.
here's the interesting part, the bullet tumbled and hit the steel rod of the target holder and angled off into the snow covered corn field.
 the corn is just stubble, and the field had a good layer of ice from a melt and about 6 inches of snow on the ice, with not a single track in it.
 about every 15 feet the bullet would leave a 3 foot long groove in the snow. like a stone skipping on a pond the bullet would hit the snow, leave a scrap of 3 feet and bounce up, and hitting again about 15 feet away.. i followed this for some lenght, about 5 touchdowns. about 100 feet. i never did find the bullet or any part of it .
i thought that was so amazing that the bullet would skip and run like that, i just wanted to share
this was my 45-70, 405 grains with 48 grains of varget...
glenn

Offline Saloon slug

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
  • Eastern NC
Re: an interesting occurance at the range
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2008, 10:24:18 PM »
An object in motion stays in motion. That really goes to show those larger slugs just don't want to stop for much of anything. That's cool thanks for sharing.
From the halls of Montezuma