Author Topic: Optima Elite .270 accuracy  (Read 918 times)

Offline Keith Lewis

• Trade Count: (0)
  • A Real Regular
Optima Elite .270 accuracy
« on: November 25, 2008, 04:37:42 AM »
I picked up a stainless OE with .50ML barrel and .270win barrel. I had a mule deer hunt and tried getting the Optima sighted in. I had a couple of handloads that I wanted to use. Tried the 140gr. ones with very poor results. Bad group and occasional big fliers?? I checked the scope mount and even switched scopes with same results. I shot the same loads in a brand new Savage cheap rifle with the cheap scope it came with and it is a tack driver??? I noticed that the barrel on the CVA seems to be very tight. I guess I will have to slug the bore and see what it is compared with the Savage. Needless to say I was disapporinted to not be able to use the CVA for the hunt. Actually didn't matter in the end as I only saw does. Any comments???? I have some 130gr. loads as well that I did not get time to try as well as some production Remington ones that will eventually go down the bore when I get time to get to the range again. The mount is a Durasight as well as Durasight QR rings. Am considering going to solid steel rings since there should be no reason to take the scope off the .270 barrel.

Offline bubba

• Trade Count: (62)
Re: Optima Elite .270 accuracy
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2008, 01:29:43 PM »
My blued 270 OE shoota 130 grain corelokts in front of IMR 4064 52 grains. It is more than accurate enough for a hunt. 1 1/2 to 2 inch groups at 100 yards all day long or until I shoot up all I bring with me.  Durasite one piece base and a bushnell banner 3x9x40. 
”A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.”

Molon Labe

Remember... Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.