Author Topic: Unsafe Loading Data?  (Read 584 times)

Offline muskeg13

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Unsafe Loading Data?
« on: May 04, 2008, 11:49:41 PM »
Sorry if you see this a a repeat from the basic shotgun reloading site.

While I've loaded metallic cartridges for over 30 years, I'm new to shotgun reloading and need advice.  I recently decided to begin casting and loading slugs, specifically the Lyman 525 gr (1 1/4 oz) sabot "pellet."  When I bought initial supplies locally, the Lyman #5 Shotgun Manual wasn't available, so I got a 12 gauge  "Load Book" which claims to include data from all powder manufacturers and some loading manuals, including data for the Lyman slug.  "Load Book" offers caliber specific load data for a number of popular cartridges. 

I loaded 30 rounds using Federal, WW and Remington cases with Hodgdon Universal Clays.  I immediately had problems crimping the loads.  They seemed too long, so I switched to a shorter wad.  Fortunately, the weather was bad, so I didn't shoot.  I the mean time, I'd ordered a real Lyman manual, and it came in.  When I compared the "real" Lyman data to so called Lyman data listed in "Load Book", there was a 7 grain difference in max loads for Universal Clays loaded in Federal Gold Medal hulls.  There was also a 5 grain difference in SR 4756 data.  All three of the "Load Book" loads I'd prepared significantly exceeded the maximum loads  in the Lyman #5 manual.  Furthermore, the Load Book data lists 10,100 psi with 36 gr of Univ Clays, while Lyman #5 says you'll get 10,400 psi with only 29 grains of the same powder! 

What is going on?  I see that the 12 Gauge Load Book was published in 2004, and the latest Lyman #5 was published in 2007, but a 7 grain difference seems huge, with the latest data showing  more pressure with 7 grains less powder.  I'm not going to use the Load Book data, but should I raise a fuss with the Load Book publishers and Sportsman's Warehouse where I bought this questionable loading manual?

Offline SharonAnne

Re: Unsafe Loading Data?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2008, 03:36:49 PM »
YES
SharonAnne
Luke 22:36-38

Honor the American Soldier and Sailor, the source of Our Freedom

Really, it only hurts when I breath - SharonAnne

An armed society is a polite society - Robert Heinlein

THE TREE OF LIBERTY MUST BE REFRESHED FROM TIME TO TIME WITH THE BLOOD OF PATRIOTS AND TYRANTS - Thomas Jefferson

Offline eye shot

• A Real Regular
    • Mike's Obituary
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2008, 04:16:40 PM »
  Lyman #4-- 12ga 2-3/4 Win 209 WAA12F114  UN-Clays/35gr.=1442FPS--9,300PSI
  Fed-Plastic hull
RIP Mike. Died on July 14th, around 2am, with his family at his side, he went peacefully to be with god.

http://www.sent-trib.com/obituaries/michael-l-schulte

Offline muskeg13

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2008, 09:22:24 AM »
Thanks eye shot.  I suspected that the older Lyman data might be calling for more powder, but "Loadbook" even increased that by another grain.  I've seen Lyman rifle date that is much hotter than that found in other manuals, particularly Lyman data in older editions.  The reply from Lyman service was a bit snotty:

"We would always suggest using the most current data. The Load Books have
their own issues and any problems should be addressed to them, we have no
way of controlling what they publish."

I was going to download the shells anyway and start over using the latest data.  The "Loadbook" is going back to Sportsman's Warehouse.