Author Topic: Todays range report  (Read 425 times)

Offline Inrut24/7

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Contributor
Todays range report
« on: March 03, 2008, 12:32:22 PM »
With temps here in pa reaching the low 60s and me with the day off work i grabbed the handi hornet some 35 grain v-max loads, and some untested 40 grain v-max loads, I also took the ruger 7mm mag to test some 139 grain interbonds which didnt go so good. I shot 4 3 shot groups of each load, and The 40 grain v-max loads shot slightly better at 100 yards, Im pretty sure the 40 grainers will really outperform the 35 grainers at longer ranges, but the wind was too gusty for farther shooting today, Im pretty happy with the groups considering the rifle really really needs the trigger done, and the wind was blowing pretty good.

handi hornet on the bench

100 yards 35 grain v-max,neck sized winchester brass, 13 grains lil gun, cci srp

100 yards 40 grain v-max,neck sized winchester brass, 13 grains lil gun, cci srp

Offline aldar

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Avid Poster
Re: Todays range report
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2008, 01:03:32 PM »
nice shooting. sure hope the weather here in MN breaks soon so I can get out. It's been a long winter here already.

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2008, 01:11:43 PM »
Nice shooting. Those ol' woodchucks are gonna pay. ;D BWT what was your OAL on the 40 V MAX and if I may pry some more what primer were you using?
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline McLernon

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2008, 01:33:09 PM »
Very respectable even under calm conditions. I hope the Green Hornet of mine shoots that well.

Mc

Offline Inrut24/7

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2008, 02:45:25 PM »
Nice shooting. Those ol' woodchucks are gonna pay. ;D BWT what was your OAL on the 40 V MAX and if I may pry some more what primer were you using?

Thanks guys, Is this about as good as it gets for the handi hornet? I might be expecting to much out of it, the C.O.L with my loads is 1.875 and im using cci 400 small rifle primers. Last summer when i only used the 35 grain v-max bullets i tested lots of loads with the cci 400 side by side with the cci small pistol primers, Almost every search i did on forums leaned to the cci small pistol primers for better accuracy, but in my gun i found the cci 400 shot better.  I might try the br4 primers next.