Author Topic: I have to say this is a pretty good place to live!!!  (Read 770 times)

Offline DalesCarpentry

• Trade Count: (32)
  • I would rather be shooting!!
I have to say this is a pretty good place to live!!!
« on: March 01, 2008, 01:36:20 PM »
I have to say where I live is a pretty good place to live. This is the type of place where we are well below average in crime and I have not even taken the keys out of my truck since I have lived here. You can do a Google search on your town or city and see how you stack up. Here is a link to my town. Dale http://www.city-data.com/city/Scottdale-Pennsylvania.html
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work!!

Offline rockbilly

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: I have to say this is a pretty good place to live!!!
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2008, 10:08:49 AM »
Might be OK as long as it is not close to Chester, PA.  I never will forget the night in 1968 when I got off the freeway to get gas.  I had no idea where I was, or where the next station would be so I stopped in Chester............wrong move.  After getting gas I had to take a detour to get back on the freeway, it went through the worst part of town, 11 pm on a Friday night,  it wasn't the place to be.  Even today I shudder at the thought of the position I placed myself and family in by stopping there.  We were confronted by a large group of people who demanded money, and wanted to know why "white people" were in their neighborhood.  They attempted to turn my car over, but intent on not allowing my family to be harmed I stepped on the gas and left several of them laying in the street as I made my way back to the freeway.

I had a .41 mag, unloaded, in the trunk of the car, but wasn't about to stop and retrieve it.  After that I decided it would be better to deal with the police for having the gun than it would be to get caught without.  That is when I started carrying on a regular basis.

Offline DalesCarpentry

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2008, 12:31:20 PM »
No I am nowhere near there. Scarry story. Glad you and your family got out of there ok. Dale
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

Offline ironglow

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2008, 03:32:27 PM »
  No Rockbilly, Dale is 3/4 of the length of Pa away from Chester.  The county straight above him , that borders my county in NY is Potter county.
  Potter County prides itself on being "God's country..my county is called "Naturally Yours" a tourist bait name because we have numerous ski slopes
   plus great hunting & outdoor sports.
If you don't want the truth, don't ask me.  If you want something sugar coated...go eat a donut !  (anon)

Offline EVOC ONE

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2008, 01:33:31 AM »
Hey Dale!  I was all around that town this weekend. 

We drove the National Highway (US 40) from Maryland, following plow trucks in heavy snow :o to a couple gun shops in Uniontown.  Had lunch in Belle Vernon.  Visited a gun shop in West Newton.  Looked for another shop in Mount Pleasant, but didn't find it (there is a martial arts center where I believe the shop was to be).  Stopped by another shop that was attached to a Ace Hardware store near the Westmoreland Fairgrounds.  Then to the Army/Navy store in Latrobe.   Followed US 30 back to Breezewood. 

Heck, if you were out, we may have passed each other at some point!   :D

Offline DalesCarpentry

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2008, 09:50:30 AM »
Hey Dale!  I was all around that town this weekend. 

We drove the National Highway (US 40) from Maryland, following plow trucks in heavy snow :o to a couple gun shops in Uniontown.  Had lunch in Belle Vernon.  Visited a gun shop in West Newton.  Looked for another shop in Mount Pleasant, but didn't find it (there is a martial arts center where I believe the shop was to be).  Stopped by another shop that was attached to a Ace Hardware store near the Westmoreland Fairgrounds.  Then to the Army/Navy store in Latrobe.   Followed US 30 back to Breezewood. 

Heck, if you were out, we may have passed each other at some point!   :D
I know two of the three gun shops you speak of. The shop in West Newton is called the Gun Rack and is where I bought my Remington SPS. I onther ones name escapes my brain right now. You definetley drove with in 4 miles of my house though. Dale

Offline DalesCarpentry

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2008, 11:05:09 AM »
Oh yea I remember now. That would be Johnson's Gun Depot. That is conected to Ace Hardware. The Gun Rack in West Newton. Byron is the owner and is in a wheel chair due to several strokes. Dale

Offline EVOC ONE

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2008, 01:55:57 PM »
Oh yea I remember now. That would be Johnson's Gun Depot. That is connected to Ace Hardware. The Gun Rack in West Newton. Byron is the owner and is in a wheel chair due to several strokes. Dale

Yep!  That would be the ones.  Both shops turned out to be the best ones of the day. 

:)

Offline DalesCarpentry

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2008, 02:10:10 PM »
I still can't think of the third one unless it is my Gunsmith's. That would be Franks guns and is a real dinky shop with not to many guns. Dale

Offline DalesCarpentry

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2008, 02:22:35 PM »
You would have had to turn right at K mart to get to it. Dale

Offline DalesCarpentry

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2008, 02:25:11 PM »
It could have been called Pa Gun parts also. Dale

Offline EVOC ONE

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2008, 07:39:26 AM »
The third shop was supposed to be Diamond Firearms located at 9 N. Diamond St. in Mount Pleasant. There was a martial arts studio there now.  Unless we made a wrong turn.  :D

Others we visited were:

Marra's Mountaineer Shop on Gallatin Ave, Uniontown.

Laurel Ridge Distributors on E. Main St Uniontown.  From what we gather this shop used to be out on US 40 toward Maryland.

Fayette Gun Shop in Fairchance.  This was more a gunsmithing operation than a gun shop. 

There was a police supply shop on US 40 a bit before Uniontown, but it had not yet opened when we stopped by.

:)