Author Topic: Any Individual FFL Holders??  (Read 520 times)

Offline XD9

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
  • Match Grade Makes A Difference!
Any Individual FFL Holders??
« on: March 11, 2008, 04:12:57 AM »
Just wondering if there are any individuals on here that have an FFL license.  I've been looking at the requirements for getting one and a few friends have been talking about one of us getting one to save us all money.  I don't plan on running a business really.  I may try to sell a few a  year just to pay for the fees.  Anyone else do this as an individual and not run a business?  Has it worked out good?
I'm an accountant and I carry a gun...'nuff said

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
Re: Any Individual FFL Holders??
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2008, 04:33:19 AM »
That's NOT the way it works these days.

You MUST run a business and have regular set business hours posted and maintained. They will come to your location and verify that you do in fact have a business. You also want it to be separate from your home and these days I don't think you'll get a license if it is not but even if they did do you want them roaming around in your house whenever they want to?

The days of having an FFL just to help you and your buddies is over. You might look into a C&R license as I think those are fairly easy to get and I also think most companies will sell other than guns to you at discount prices with it.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline XD9

• Contributor
  • Match Grade Makes A Difference!
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2008, 04:59:01 AM »
Yeah, I've been reading some conflicting information.  Some say that you can have it in your house and others, as you do, say that you can't.  Probably 90% sure I'm not going to do it.  I was just reading about it to see what I could find out.
I'm an accountant and I carry a gun...'nuff said

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2008, 05:26:41 AM »
Once long ago they really didn't much care and getting an FFL was quite easy. Back then they allowed you to use your home for it but kinda sorta demanded a separate entrance rather than your front or back door. They also had no problem with you not having stock on hand and just saying you were going to do special orders.

Then under Klinton things changed drastically. They pulled the licenses from I think about 2/3 of those who had them while he was in office and since those days getting one is not such an easy thing to do anymore. You might say the rules have changed since those long ago days when it was so easy to get one to do as you wish to do.

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline onesonek

• A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2008, 06:23:42 AM »
I agree, things have changed since I had mine. Chances are slim to none of getting one with out "store front business"
And even if you did get one, the savings which ain't alot,,,isn't worth the headaches!!!! Most gun shops make their money on the accessories. The margin on guns themselves ain't that great, grorcery store make far more margin.
But if you want the BATF in your home, go ahead and apply. To me it ain't worth 10-20% savings.
Dave