Author Topic: Would you rather????  (Read 545 times)

Offline youthpastorjon

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
Would you rather????
« on: March 05, 2008, 08:11:24 AM »
I am curious, would you rather have a cheap scope on a expensive rifle or an expensive scope on a cheap rifle?  Just a thought.

Offline Cement Man

• Trade Count: (4)
Re: Would you rather????
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2008, 08:43:14 AM »
No.

No.

I don't know what is considered cheap and expensive by most folks, but my particular needs are served in what I consider to be the middle of the spectrum - $120 to $300.  I have had excellent results with Weaver K series, Sightron SII's, Bushnell 3200's and 4200's, Nikon Monarchs, Burris FFII's, Nikon Buckmasters, Weaver Grand Slams, and Simmons .44 Mags and WTC's in that range of prices.  I can't justify to myself paying more - or paying less.
CIVES ARMA FERANT - Let the citizens bear arms.
POLITICIANS SHOULD BE LIMITED TO TWO TERMS - ONE IN OFFICE AND ONE IN PRISON.... Illinois already does this.

Offline PartsMan

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Proud Handi Owner
    • myspace
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2008, 09:54:10 AM »
That's a tough one.
What when where and how far are we hunting.

Prairie dogs in open country at 400yds late in the day.
Good scope cheap gun.

Moose in the woods inside 100yd in good light.
Good rifle cheap or no scope.

Offline Dave in WV

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2008, 12:54:07 PM »
I could be happy with a Stevens 200 and a Ziess Conquest scope. Before I'd pay $1k or more for a scope I'd buy a $500-$600 rifle and a $400 scope.
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein

Offline Hairtrigger

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2008, 12:57:33 PM »
Expensive scope on cheep rifle.
Cheep scopes are just that, an expensive scope will hold it's resale value much better than a cheep one.
There is a special place in hell for someone that puts junk scopes on nice rifles

Offline youthpastorjon

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2008, 01:08:37 PM »
Hairtrigger,
You are a funny man. 

Offline charles p

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2008, 01:31:18 PM »
When I purchase a scope or binocs, its for a lifetime.  Don't want meritocracy for a lifetime. 

I think I've sold two scopes in 40 years  One was a K-4 Weaver that got dented from a fall, the other was a Weaver variable I dropped and the power dial got cross threaded.  That was in the 70's.  Sent it to the factory and they sent me another brand new one.  Traded it for a used Leupold.  All I have now are Leupold except for a Burris pistol scope.  Expect to leave them to my kids some day.   

Same goes for binocs.   I have Sworovski and Minox.  Bought the Sworovski on eBay.  Fifteen years old and excellent quality.

To answer the question, I'd rather spend more for the scope than the rifle.  Heck, I've got a Mod 70 with a Jewell trigger that I spent more on the trigger and gunsmithing than I did on the rifle.  Same for the scope.

Offline jasonprox700

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Contributor
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2008, 01:45:14 PM »
This could go both ways.  Given the choice, nice rifle, nice scope!  Unfortunately, my wallet is not deep enough.

I have however found that a cheap scope is actually an expensive scope, at least in my experiences.  Most of the cheap scopes I have bought (Tasco's), I have ended up replacing.  I replaced the World Class on my .280 after my groups opened to 6" @ 50 yards.  I replaced it with a Nikon.  I love my Nikon and I have not had a problem with it.  Same with the Tasco 6-24 power on my  Rem 700 .22-250.  I put an expensive Leupold on that.  My groups actually got smaller.

If I were to purchase another scope, I would either get a Nikon or Bushnell for my "cheap" scope.  These are excellent quality scopes for a reasonable price.  They are not mega bucks, and they are not cheap, but they are right in the middle.

It all depends on what the purpose of the rifle is.  If you don't expect it to be a tack driver, a "cheap" scope would work fine.  Especially in shorter ranges.  But if you are shooting longer distances or require more precision, then an "expensive" scope is the way to go.

Just my 2 cents!

Offline Hairtrigger

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2008, 12:21:58 AM »
Well said Jason.
I know it is not always possible but I keep an eye open at gun shops and shows for used quality scopes priced right. Slight ring marks and scratches will lower value and not affect the function of the scope.

Offline eye shot

• A Real Regular
    • Mike's Obituary
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2008, 06:42:15 AM »
If you want a excellent scope go to E Bay and get a Redfield at a fair price! Mine is 38 years old and out of all my scopes it's my go to.
RIP Mike. Died on July 14th, around 2am, with his family at his side, he went peacefully to be with god.

http://www.sent-trib.com/obituaries/michael-l-schulte

Offline jnclement

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2008, 09:19:23 AM »
+1 on what cement man said. I'm still waiting for someone to prove they missed a shot because they didn't have a Swarovski. The same ad agency that invented the saying "spend 2-3 months salary on an engagement ring" probably invented the saying "spend more on your scope than you did on the gun". And they invented it to sell stuff. My 4200 is doing just fine in F Class at 600m.