Author Topic: Loading to the lands and long throats?  (Read 442 times)

Offline hotburn76

• Trade Count: (0)
Loading to the lands and long throats?
« on: March 04, 2008, 04:25:28 PM »
Today I wanted to try and measure how far I would have to load my bullets to get close to the lands.  I did the trick with a cleaning rod and marking stops, then taking a bullet and pushing it up to the lands and holding with a pencil and setting the second marker on the Rod.  I came up with a measurement to the tip of a 40 grain berger bullet of 2.43.  This makes it pretty much impossible to load close to the lands with my rifle.  Are all Handi's like this or just mine?  I made sure I was not pushing hard and ramming the bullet into the rifling's so I was surprised at how far out they are.  Second thing I did was try to measure the throat length.  Now from what I understand to do all this I need to get a cast of the chamber, but I tried using a depth mic and see what I get.  I came up with the edge of my throat being at 1.883 this seems pretty long since the specs say max length is 1.85 I think.  I know I need a cast done, but what I done should be some what close I would think.  Does this info sound right compared to other Handi's?  I also smoked with a candle a FL sized case and chambered and the bottom half had the smoke rubbed off but the top half of the shoulder was still covered in the candle black soot.  I assume this is good?  Thanks guys, any info on my numbers would be great.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Loading to the lands and long throats?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2008, 04:49:26 PM »
Do a search for long throats selecting this forum only, you'll get the better part of 4 pages of hits, long throats are common on a lot of H&R barrels. There isn't a leade, the rifling just starts abuptly. Chamber casting is covered in the FAQs.

Tim

http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/index.php?action=search
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline MnMike

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2008, 04:53:15 PM »
Handis are long throated. Your numbers sound plausible. I found improvement using heavier (longer) bullets and loading them as far out as possible.

mike
Mike Ellestad

Offline FW Conch

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2008, 05:44:45 PM »
   The throat in my 30-06 Handy is so deep they could name a movie after it.  The standard COL for the 30-06 is  3.340 so it will fit in all actions but this has no relevance to single shot guns.  When I load 165gr Accubonds it is  3.4775 to the lands COL.  So I set my final COL @  3.430 which puts the bullet Ogive .0475 off the lands.  This load would be much too long for just about any repeating rifle, but thats their problem.  I am into accuracy as much as anyone but my main interest is "MOD".  "Moment Of Deer".  To that end this load, with its  .0475 "jump", groups just fine !    ;)   Jim
Jim

Offline McLernon

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2008, 06:24:00 AM »
Did you mean Minute-of-deer (MOD) as in MOC minute-of-coyote?

Mc

Offline FW Conch

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2008, 11:42:07 AM »
    :)  Yea  Mc  !  That  Too  !  But it's going to be a long time until the next "Moment" no matter what the critter.   :(

I  gotta get to the range soon but it's 150 miles from the "Conch Republic" ! :'(     Jim
Jim