Author Topic: BEST BUY  (Read 1221 times)

Offline DENNIS60

• Trade Count: (0)
BEST BUY
« on: July 03, 2003, 04:56:42 PM »
OK GUYS HERE GOES WHAT WOULD BE THE BEST REVOLVER TO PURCHASE NOT FOR COMPETITION OR REENACTMENTS OR ANY OF THAT.. I WANT A GOOD RUGGED  REVOLVER TO USE FOR PLINKING AND HUNTING AND JUST ALL AROUND FUN... MABE UBERTI OR LYMAN IF THEY ARE STILL MAKING THEIRS OR SOMETHING I CAN USE A FAST DRAW RIG WITH ???????? THANK YOU ALL IN ADVANCE FOR ANY HELP AND OR ADVICE YOU CAN GIVE ME...

Offline The Shrink

• A Real Regular
BEST BUY
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2003, 05:31:44 AM »
DJ

Your specifications, since you didn't specify historical accuracy, clearly points to the Ruger.  It is the toughest, most modern in a "traditional" style, and certainly adequate for what you want.  It's available in stainless, too!
Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Offline DENNIS60

BEST BUY
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2003, 06:34:05 AM »
THANKS WAYNE  I MUST ADMIT I WAS THINKING ALONG THE SAME LINES

Offline Dan Chamberlain

• Contributor
Best Buy!
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2003, 12:20:08 PM »
Ruger is number one in strength and application...however it may not be the "Best Buy" as your thread asked.  If you want the absolute best buy in a cap and ball revolver for all around application, you can't beat the deal offered by Cabela's.  You can get a Remington copy in either .44 or .36 for $159 and they are wonderful pistols.  I have three Cabela's pistols and the fit, finish and quality is 1st rate!  If you want a target gun, the Remington target model (I have one of those as well) locks up as tight as any Ruger I've held and I can easily achieve 2" groups at 20 or 25 yards all day long with a little effort.  I have used this gun to take rabbits and squirrel as well.  Now, if money is no object, go for the Ruger and be well served.  If you want to be shooting for under $200...well under...then visit www.cabelas.com

Regards;

Dan C

Offline Charlie Detroit

• Contributor
BEST BUY
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2003, 03:58:40 AM »
It should also be pointed out, with some emphasis, that the Remington copies are 'WAY easier to take apart and put back together (the stuff INSIDE the frame) than any Colt or Ruger. The Ruger is a danged fine gun, and the Colt copies are dreams to hold, but the Remington has them both beat when it comes to assembly/disassembly. This is important, even when usung a stainless gun, because BP or any substitute has lots of solids in its combustion products, some of which are gonna go inside your gun. Even if you're not worried about corrosion (stainless gun, Clear Shot, Clean Shot, whatever), these solids cannot make the action of your gun work any better, so you want to clean 'em out. Hence the disassembly.
I ain't paranoid but every so often, I spin around real quick.--just in case
Sometimes I have a gun in my hand when I spin around.--just in case
I ain't paranoid, but sometimes I shoot when I spin around.--just in case

Offline The Shrink

• A Real Regular
BEST BUY
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2003, 05:45:05 AM »
Along these lines I'll add another option.  The Remington grip frame is simply too tight for comfort for me.  I've never been comfortable shooting or even holding one.  All of the advantages of the Remington can be found in the Rogers and Spencer, plus faster lock time - shorter hammer through.  Mine is a EuroArms, I think, and is good quality.
Wayne the Shrink

Offline Charlie Detroit

• Contributor
BEST BUY
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2003, 06:11:50 AM »
Quote from: The Shrink
Along these lines I'll add another option.  The Remington grip frame is simply too tight for comfort for me.  I've never been comfortable shooting or even holding one.

I'm not arguing here...I just want to know what you mean by "tight".

Offline Dan Chamberlain

• Contributor
Tight Remington Grip?
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2003, 06:51:02 AM »
Early Remington copies were actually closer to copies of the Remington Beals.  The grip was rather small.  Current copies of the Remington have a more authentic grip frame and are hend filling.  It may be that Shrink was referring to the older style that had a small grip?  Other than that, I can't think what he means.

Dan C

Offline Charlie Detroit

• Contributor
BEST BUY
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2003, 08:12:35 PM »
'Parently Shrink ain't gonna answer (maybe he's been busy). I always found the smaller grips fit me better...I've got smallish hands. Remingtons were great.

Offline Dan Chamberlain

• Contributor
Best Buy
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2003, 02:11:26 AM »
I've always been partial to the grip of the 1851 Navy and the Colt SAA.  I do like shooting the Remingtons, but I like the laser-like pointing capability that comes with the Navy.

Dan C

Offline The Shrink

• A Real Regular
BEST BUY
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2003, 09:08:19 AM »
Sorry, Guys.  I was on vacation and AOL was costing me $.10 per minute more - so I didn't do much but answer e-mails.  

All the Remington's I've held have felt like my fingers were too close to the trigger guard and my fingers were squeezed.  I like the fit of my Ruger Super Blackhalk, if that tells you anything.  The Navy Colts fit my hands well, and the Rogers and Spencer has similar geometry.  I don't know the various Remington styles, I just know that I've always passed on opportunities to buy one because of the way they felt in my hand, like they were made for someone with smaller hands.
Wayne the Shrink