Author Topic: Anyone tried the Choate Pistol Grip on their NEF? (pics added)  (Read 2497 times)

Offline myarmor

• Trade Count: (46)
Anyone tried the Choate Pistol Grip on their NEF? (pics added)
« on: February 03, 2008, 07:26:11 PM »
I have long looked at them and haven't heard any reports about them. I have used a straight pistol grip before on a pump, and it was fun to say the least. I would like to give it a whirl on one of my Pardners one day for kicks.
Anyone tried on out?
http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=589774&t=11082005

-Aaron

Offline Markus

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (15)
Re: Anyone tried the Choate Pistol Grip on their NEF?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2008, 04:39:28 PM »
Got one just haven't played with it yet.
PROUD REDNECK CONSERVATIVE

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline grumpyErik

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2008, 05:20:58 PM »
Looks painful if put on a 12 ga.  :o
Click once, cuss repeatedly.

Offline rangerwillie

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2008, 02:33:54 PM »
I put one on a 12 ga. you really don't want to shoot a second shot. I loaded a few light rounds and it was a blast.

Offline myarmor

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2008, 02:16:17 PM »
Rangerwillie I am just curious and have a couple questions for ya.
 What does your shotty weigh with just the grip and forearm? How long a barrel and what choke?
I have used a similar grip on a Mossberg 12ga and it was pretty fun, though I am sure it would weigh more than a light weight Pardner carrying the same grip.

Offline DaveH

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2008, 12:02:50 PM »
I got a set and put them on my 12 Ga tracker II shoots nice the pistol grip gives you alot more control of the gun so the recoil is not that bad. And I'm shooting the 3" Remington Buck Hammers out of it.
Dave H.
US Army SFC(Ret)

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2008, 12:30:29 PM »
Dave, I don't think he is talking about the Choate pistol grip stock set, he is talking about the Choate "pistol grip"...click on the link below to see what he is referring to...

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=589774&t=11082005

....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline DaveH

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2008, 03:04:24 PM »
Oh my bad,

Damn I can't think of a good reason to put that on a single shot shotgun..........Pump maybe. auto maybe but a single shot?
Dave H.
US Army SFC(Ret)

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2008, 03:28:21 PM »
I agree Dave, it looks as if it could really "stIng" your hand. Now with about a 6" to 10" barrel, with a short forestock in 20 or 28 gauge, 2 3/4" standard non magnum shell loaded with 0 buck or so it would be a great up close and personal single shot defense weapon, but than again a double barrel like that would be twice as good!!!....<><....;D
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline DaveH

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2008, 02:23:47 PM »
Never thought of a double barrel but that would be cool only if it was a double trigger set up.  That way if it got real bad real close you could touch off both barrels at once
Dave H.
US Army SFC(Ret)

Offline Markus

• Moderators
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2008, 03:01:38 PM »
Alright, that's enough. I'll shoot it tomorrow and give a report.

I'd much rather be remembered for being a great shot than having the most expensive gun

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2008, 02:07:28 AM »
Thanks Markus, as you can tell we all want to hear about your experience at the range with that grip!!!....<><....:)

Offline Markus

• Moderators
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2008, 04:57:20 AM »
Just got back from extensive testing at my state of the art range facility. Actually I shot two 12ga 2 3/4" # 7s at a diet Pepsi can sitting on a dirt pile 20 steps away in my back yard. I shot the 1st round with one hand standing unsupported. This was not nearly as bad as I thought it would be. I did manage to get 4 pellets to hit the target. Hand shock was not bad and my arm was a little sore. The 2nd shot was at the same distance but holding on to the forearm this time and I got a few more pellets in and the felt recoil was not as hard to manage. I would say this would put food on the table in a survival situation or make the bad guy sorry he entered your house but it would not be my top choice for either task. It is a curiosity and a novelty item that is fun to mess around with. I plan on shooting it in the other guages as time allows. If you've got a couple extra $ and want something new to play with I'd recommend it. For serious use, not really. Pics to follow. My wife has to get them off her camera

Offline Markus

• Moderators

Offline myarmor

Re: Anyone tried the Choate Pistol Grip on their NEF? (pics added)
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2008, 06:39:02 PM »
Little late to my own party here, but thank you for the pics and info on the grip Markus.
I know I have read it many times but just for clarification what would be the legal length of barrel used with this?
Always good to make it known  8)

-Aaron

Offline PHATINJUN

• "Seeker of the Red Mist"
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (144)
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2008, 07:19:36 PM »
Must be at least 18" on the bbl and 26" overall . Kurt
Deceased 2/16/24
https://www.dignitymemorial.com/obituaries/machesney-park-il/kurt-heckman-11671764

Sportster17M2,20"Nickle410Tamer,26"410,
WTUTI12ga,WTU25-06,M158 22RemJet, 24"Ultra.204Ruger24"UltraFluted.204Ruger
M157Mannliker.22Hornet,24".223UltraFluted,   24".223Ultra,7X64BrenekkeUltra,22-250AIUltraFluted            7.62x39,22"303Britstub.32H&Rmag, .32303BritstubHuntsman,24" SS.50calHuntsman 58calHuntsman 12gaHuntsman
NEF RevolversSSModel73.32H&Rmag                     Blued Model73.32H&R mag The herd is shrinking!!
                                 "SOLI DEO GLORIA"

Offline myarmor

« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2008, 07:44:19 PM »
I thought it was 18 1/2'  for legal shotgun length  ??? Either way with a Handi it's always shorter over all length than the norm.
I just thought that this thread needed the legal info seeing that pistol grips are kinda red flag when seen... and I am sure there are more that are interested in it.
Thanks

Offline DCRthe3rd

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2008, 04:30:41 AM »
I have a pistol grip from when NEF used to sell them , the barrel with it must be 22 inches in order to meet the OVERALL length of 26 inches , even says so on the grip .
18 inch barrels are ok so long as the total length is 26 inches , but because the nef's don't have the length of a receiver like repeaters do , you will need a longer barrel