Author Topic: Slide Stop Activating  (Read 372 times)

Offline Castaway

• Trade Count: (0)
Slide Stop Activating
« on: March 03, 2008, 03:58:23 AM »
A buddy, of mine, a State Trooper was at the range Saturday in a fit of frustration.  His Beretta 96 was locking to the rear with rounds still in the magazine.  He was suspect of the magazines but not I.  He's a left handed shooter which means his support hand is not getting in the way and bumping the slide stop on recoil.  The only reason I could come up with was a weak slide stop spring which during recoil was "bouncing up" and locking the slide back.  Any other ideas out there that could be causing the problem?

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
Re: Slide Stop Activating
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2008, 08:24:35 AM »
Castaway:  I could agree with a weak slide stop spring.  I would also look at the recoil spring.  It is possible that if it needs replacing the slide slams back too hard which might rock up the slide stop.  I would also look at the ammo he was shooting - often if it is too hot it may cause the slide to lock open.  New spring kits are available from Wolff Springs in Pa.  HTH.  Mikey.

Offline Castaway

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2008, 11:51:58 AM »
Thanks Mikey, as far as ammo, it was issue.  Never thought about the recoil spring, makes sense.

Offline S.B.

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2008, 03:42:16 PM »
I don't know about the left handed situation (I'm right handed) but, while shooting an IPSC match I learned that unless my right thumb was on the thumb safety, it would bump the slide stop into battery? Causing this problem. With a 1911.
"The Original Point and Click Interface was a Smith & Wesson."
Life member of NRA, USPSA,ISRA
AF&AM #294
LIUNA #996 for the past 34 years/now retired!