Author Topic: Some lessons for us reloaders  (Read 1209 times)

Offline handirifle

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
    • http://www.handirifle.com
Some lessons for us reloaders
« on: March 04, 2008, 05:16:25 PM »
Keeping in mind that we're never too old to learn or that it never hurts to err on the safe side, I thought I share this with you all.

Was loading some ammo tonite.  This particular load was starting off at 38gr of powder.  I set the scale (so I thought) and proceeded to meter the powder from my RCBS  powder measuring unit.  When loading the bullets, it seemed like they were compressing a LOT, but the Barnes bullets are a tad longer than the lead ones, so the alarm didn't go off yet.  Well like an idiot, I proceeded to load up 4, then the next step was 4 more at .5gr LESS.  I poured powder from the measure yet the scale didn't show an overweight.  No biggie as I'd had to add to the 38gr charges too.  I kept adding and adding till it leveled.

Seemed like a lot, so I poured it into the case.  It OVERFLOWED :o.  OK even this rock can finally figure out something's not right in TV land.

I picked up the balance beam to look closer at the settings.  They're right on the money...hmmmm.  checked for free movement up and down.  Moves freely.  so what's the problem.  Went to the next 10gr lower (yes 10 not 1, just to see) setting and dumped a load of powder on it, just to see.  STILL not balanced.  The light starts getting brighter.

Finally I moved the whole scale closer to me to have a closer look see, and when I set it back I noticed something odd.  There was a bit of wax paper on my bench, left over from some lead bullet casting, that a corner that was folded over, was PUSHING UP on the freakin powder pan.  HOW DENSE COULD I BE?????

So out came the puller and pulled ALL loaded ammo as now I have no idea how much really went into these cases.

:o You can bet that when I started loading them back, I was three times more careful than normally.

Kinda embarrasing to admit all this but want to make sure no one esle does anything as stupid as this.  The first 4 rounds should never have been loaded, but I should have been way too suspicious when loading them up.

I have been sick for the last week and a half and it showed.  Like I said, I finished the 20 and packed it in.

You' all be careful now ya hear?
God, Family, and guns, in that order!

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Some lessons for us reloaders
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2008, 05:41:39 PM »
Just goes to show you that murphy can screw anything up and ya gotta be on your toes to stay ahead of him!! :-\ :o ::) ;)

Thanks for sharing Handi!!

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline njanear

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Avid Poster
    • www.geocities.com/njanear13
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2008, 01:07:19 AM »
HOW DENSE COULD I BE?????

Not quite as dense as the powder in those compressed loads.  ;D

I'm glad you caught that and took the proper actions.  Some guys that I have known would have missed those blatant problem signs - those are the same ones that we DON'T encourage to take up reloading.  ;)
Njanear 
    12B/21B - Combat Engineer, the way to B           1985 - 1996 GaARNG
Atlanta, GA

Offline rugerfan01

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2008, 01:28:21 AM »
Glad you caught the mistake, and that you are alright!

Offline handirifle

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2008, 02:43:53 AM »
Thanks, glad to see no spears thrown, yet. ;D  One thing was for sure I wasn't pulling the trigger on anything till I figured out what was going on.  Thought I was going crazy for a bit.  That paper touching the powder pan was so slight I could barely believe it, even after I saw it.

Guess it doesn't take much to throw off a few grains of weight.

Offline Smokin Joe

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2008, 04:18:59 AM »
Not much is right.....................I can throw mine off just by leaving the fluorescent  light on nearby.
I checked with RCBS and they say it goofs with the magnetic damper.
Deo duce, ferro comitante
With God as my leader and my sword as my companion

Offline handirifle

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2008, 04:37:28 AM »
Not much is right.....................I can throw mine off just by leaving the fluorescent  light on nearby.
I checked with RCBS and they say it goofs with the magnetic damper.

Now THAT I'd never have figured out.  Is this a balance beam type or electronic?

I know I have to make sure there's no breeze when I reload or it never settles down.

Offline Smokin Joe

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2008, 05:02:07 AM »
It's a stock 505 balance beam

This is from Speer:

"Never attempt to reload without immediate access to a reliable reloading scale. Scales built for other purposes, such as cooking or postage, are unacceptable. Check the "zero" of the scale before each powder weighing session. Once a month, remove dust from the scale and calibrate. Calibration weight sets are available from RCBS and other manufacturers. Check both zero and calibration if the scale is jarred or moved from its normal location. Avoid locating mechanical scale within three (3) feet (one meter) of fluorescent lights. The electromagnetic fields generated by such lights can cause weighing errors."
Deo duce, ferro comitante
With God as my leader and my sword as my companion

Offline McLernon

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2008, 05:42:16 AM »
One day when I was off sick I was bored so I decided to load some ammo. Well I had the powder in all my cases but had forgotten to put primers in. I  didn't  discover the error until I started putting bullets in and noticed powder on the floor beneath the press. Not a safety issue obviously but it does point to the need to be alert when reloading. To be alert you have to feel well not sick. It only takes ONE mistake. I'm glad you noticed your mistake in time Handirifle.

Mc

Offline LaOtto222

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2008, 05:58:55 AM »
handirifle - You have pinpointed a problem, that is not that easy to recognize. That is why you have to have your wits about you all of the time while reloading. Do not day dream, be distracted or overlook any sign of some thing fishy. I look into the cases each time to see that the powder level remains constant, if for any reason it does not look right, I dump and start over. Good Job!
Great men have vision and resolve to make dreams come true.

Offline handirifle

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2008, 10:22:10 AM »
handirifle - You have pinpointed a problem, that is not that easy to recognize. That is why you have to have your wits about you all of the time while reloading. Do not day dream, be distracted or overlook any sign of some thing fishy. I look into the cases each time to see that the powder level remains constant, if for any reason it does not look right, I dump and start over. Good Job!

You're exactly right which was why I decided to hang it up before I did something I DIDN'T notice.

As for the powder and no primer, thing, been there done that, but it took me one case.  This one dumped powder on my press as I pulled it out..... Hmmmmm what's wrong with THIS picture?

Offline tallyho

• Trade Count: (52)
  • DECEASED 6/6/2013
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2008, 11:28:40 AM »
Handi,
You are an example of the kinds of people that cause me to love this site. Honest, open and co-operative folk.

[img width= height= alt=" border="0]http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/Themes/babylon/images/post/thumbup.gif[/img] Thanks for being gutsy enough to tell us!  ;D
DECEASED 6/6/2013

Offline handirifle

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2008, 06:50:36 PM »
Handi,
You are an example of the kinds of people that cause me to love this site. Honest, open and co-operative folk.

[img width= height= alt=" border="0]http://www.gboreloaded.com/forums/Themes/babylon/images/post/thumbup.gif[/img] Thanks for being gutsy enough to tell us!  ;D

You're too kind, but thanks.  I know sometimes when I read loading forums, it seems like too often when someone makes mistake or asks a question that OUGHT to be obvious, they get hammered.  I just thought those guys might like to know that guys that have been loading for 30+ years (me) still do stupid things.  just don't be afraid to question yourself.

Offline AZHoosier

• An unloaded gun is just a CLUB!!
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2008, 06:02:36 AM »

You're too kind, but thanks.  I know sometimes when I read loading forums, it seems like too often when someone makes mistake or asks a question that OUGHT to be obvious, they get hammered.  I just thought those guys might like to know that guys that have been loading for 30+ years (me) still do stupid things.  just don't be afraid to question yourself.

I've been around for a while as have others on the board, not on the board, just around. I have also seen many people that "Slam" others for saying something that they think is "stupid." Those that slam the other should, before they make their rude and degrading comments, look at their lives and beginnings. When they started reloading or anyother task, did they make mistakes.... I'm sure they did. We all make mistakes and we will continue making them. NONE of us are without mistakes and the older we get, the more we make. It takes a good man to own up to his mistake, then tell everyone about his mistake in hopes that the others watch theirselves more closely to avoid injury. Which is what you did. Three cheers for Handirifle.
I shoot first, and don't ask questions.

Offline oldandslow

« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2008, 06:52:32 AM »
Handirifle, I'm glad you caught it and didn't blow something up. I've become so forgetful that I bought a set of Lyman check weights and check my scales ever time I use them, even if I am using the same powder charge as the last time I loaded. I check every tenth load I drop when loading pistol rounds. I weigh ever rifle round I load. I don't even listen to the radio when loading. If some one comes in I quit immediately and don't start back loading until they are gone. It is probably overkill but I realize how forgetful I've become.

Offline gatorman76

« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2008, 12:35:38 AM »
Glad you caught the mistake in time & share the experience. I think the reason I like reloading is because of the intense concentration it requires. It is relaxing, to me. I'm 'zoned out' of everything else around me. I absolutely do not want anyone around or radio playing, just me & silence. I guess I've always liked that, though.

Offline MTGlass

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2008, 06:24:42 AM »
I had a somewhat similar unsettling experience with a 5-0-5 once.  I was setting up to load some light .38 loads for my wife's cowboy guns.  I hadn't loaded for a while and my scale was dusty so I took it apart and blew it off with the air compressor.

I use my scale on a piece of plate glass on the bench and that's where I re-assembled it.  I could not get it to zero or to weigh right.  I mentioned it to a friend the next day and he loaned me his electronic scale.  My check weights were dead on, but my scale was still wacky.  I posted about it on another forum.  A helpful gent from Dillon responded that I probably had static built up on the scale.  duh!  (Sound of hand slapping forehead!)  Compressed air generates static and setting the scale on a dielectric plate of glass gave it nowhere to bleed off.

I promptly wiped the scale down with an old dryer sheet and dug out my Zero-Stat from my LP days.  Now I always zap that scale before zeroing.  I ended up with about a hundred +P .38 rounds that still ran fine through .357 Vaqueros.
Cordially,

MTGlass

Card Carrying Armed American Citizen

Offline handirifle

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2008, 06:47:41 PM »
  A helpful gent from Dillon responded that I probably had static built up on the scale.  duh!  (Sound of hand slapping forehead!)  Compressed air generates static and setting the scale on a dielectric plate of glass gave it nowhere to bleed off.

Well ther's another new trick for this old dog.  Never heard that before, but rest assured I'll remember it.  I think, what was that I was saying ??? ;D

Offline db22

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Contributor
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2008, 03:19:02 PM »
Handirifle: As others have said, you are true blue for your willingness to use your own mistake as a caution for all of us. I agree that this board is the most welcoming, least intimidating place to gain the knowledge and wisdom needed to safely enjoy the shooting sports.

If only we could all get together at some remote lodge, to shoot, camp, eat, swap tall tales every evening by campfires . . . well, gathering on the Internet is the next best thing, I suppose. Thanks to all who gather here.
"The said constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." -- Samuel Adams

Offline torpedoman

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2008, 03:40:32 PM »
getting a bit older so i have to be more careful, you'll find out why if you are lucky, i now  fill plastic bags with 50 cases prime and put in loading block primer up, add powder put in another loading block  mouth up then seat bullet and put in a plastic box for storage I just got a lee turret press were i Can put a primed round in one side and take a done round out the other. remember to follow the two step rule for reloading. STEP 1 read the directions STEP2 follow them.
the nation that forgets it defenders will itself be forgotten

Offline FW Conch

• GBO Supporter
  • Contributor
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2008, 05:29:27 AM »

torpedoman  -  Jim = TM1 (SS) (DV)    ;D   Where did you get that handle ?   8)
Jim

Offline handirifle

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2008, 05:56:23 AM »
getting a bit older so i have to be more careful, you'll find out why if you are lucky, i now  fill plastic bags with 50 cases prime and put in loading block primer up, add powder put in another loading block  mouth up then seat bullet and put in a plastic box for storage I just got a lee turret press were i Can put a primed round in one side and take a done round out the other. remember to follow the two step rule for reloading. STEP 1 read the directions STEP2 follow them.

All good ideas, including the two step process.

db22
Thanks.  I really hesitated cause of showing off my stupidity. ::)  Not exactly the kind of thing you want to go around bragging about.

Offline db22

• Contributor
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2008, 02:15:13 PM »
Handirifle: You were not showing stupidity in any way! Only your humanity, and by posting it, your integrity and selflessness.  Thank Goodness there are young people with those qualities coming up in the world.  Sometimes all a geezer like me sees are the silly and selfish ones.  Too many my own age that way, too.  (Maybe I shouldn't cast the first stone . . .)  Raise your children with your sense of decency and you will have lived a good life (okay, sermon over!!)
"The said constitution shall never be construed to authorize Congress to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." -- Samuel Adams

Offline happydog

« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2008, 04:16:46 PM »
Handrifle.  Thanks for the safety tip.  We ALL need these!   ;) 

Just to throw another safety idea on the pile, I learned some time back from a good friend to get rid of all of my loading blocks.  As I almost exclusively load smokeless and cast bullets in large capacity cases, double charges are always a concern. By simply taking a primed and belled case from the brass pile, I charging it, seat the bullet, then put the completed cartridge into the cartridge box, all in one procedure. No loading block is needed. That way I greatly eliminate the chances of a double charge because I don't set the charged case in a loading block then accidentally pick it up and charge it again by mistake! This isn't fool proof, nothing is, but for me it does reduce the double charge problem.   For what it's worth.  :)