Author Topic: Shooting cast in an indoor range  (Read 536 times)

Offline cbourbeau32

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
  • A Real Regular
Shooting cast in an indoor range
« on: March 09, 2008, 09:15:32 AM »
I just recently went to local (30 miles if you call that local) indoor range. I really enjoyed it over just shooting at some field or "shooting spot' which is where I usually shoot. My question is this. I am looking to get into casting to cut my reloading cost's as much as possible. I am curious as to the thoughts regarding lead exposure from shooting indoors. I would only be shooting every two weeks at most. I know casting is probably more dangerous than the actual shooting of the bullet, but I have a well ventilated area in which to cast so I don't worry about that. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks, Charlie
NRA Life Member, US Navy Veteran.

Oklahoma has 77 counties, Romney-77, Obama-0

I'll keep my Guns, my Freedom's and my Money.
You can keep the "Change"

Offline Castaway

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Shooting cast in an indoor range
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2008, 10:02:43 AM »
Indoor ranges have their own set of hazards.  Lead from primers is probably the biggest source of contamination.  Good ventilation of the range can minimize it, if the wind is at your back and vented towards the target.  Another downside is the noise.  When living in Maryland, I used a local indoor range and that's where I started using double ear protection.  Plugs and muffs and still double up at an outdoor range.

Offline cbourbeau32

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2008, 12:55:18 PM »
Good point on the ear plugs under my muffs. I will do that from now on. I didn't pay to much attention to the ventilation but next time I will. Thanks, Charlie
NRA Life Member, US Navy Veteran.

Oklahoma has 77 counties, Romney-77, Obama-0

I'll keep my Guns, my Freedom's and my Money.
You can keep the "Change"

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2008, 01:04:43 AM »
cbourbeau32:  Since you already know that casting lead slugs requires good ventilation then you should understand that indoor range shooting also requires good ventilation, whether for protection against lead particulate or primer contamination.  If the indoor range you are shooting at does not have a good ventilation system, then wear a face mask and take frequent breaks in fresh air or at least off the range and away from the polluted area. 

As for hearing protection - do not join the 'What?' crowd.  That's the group of guys who turn to you and say 'What?' when you ask them a question.....the dual protection of ear plugs and ear muffs is a very good idea.  HTH.  Mikey.

Offline jhm

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2008, 01:49:00 PM »
Years ago late 60s or early 70s their was a Gunshop in Michigan named Irve's I believe the name was, well they had a Indoor range in the basement, well the regulars knew you wer not to shoot Magnum revolvers down there, however on evening I was in there when someone let loose with a model 29 with full house loads, I cant remember ever seeing old man Irv go down those stairs so fast to get the fellow up those stairs and show him the front door,   JIM

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2008, 01:27:37 AM »
i truely believe you will pick up more lead poisoning from shooting indoors in a poorly ventilated building then you will casting.
blue lives matter