Author Topic: stock and stock bolt question  (Read 410 times)

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
stock and stock bolt question
« on: March 08, 2008, 04:59:00 AM »
Hi guys, I am away from home this weekend and at a hotel but have a question. I know that specialty stocks like the Thumbhole and Survivor come from the factory with stock bolts. If I recall correctly the Buff Classic set and TDC set that I bought from the factory came with a stock bolt but I could be mistaken, it was a while ago. I realize that the very great majority of stock sets bought here used come with the stock bolt. My question is, does a regular palletwood (or laminated set) when purchased from the factory come with the stock bolt? I was dealing with a person on purchasing a used set and asked a question if the stock bolt came with the used stock set. He became very upset at the question, to the point of talking about falling off a turnip truck and such stating that the bolts do not come with the stocks. I did not mean to offend him but he really took off because of my question. I am interested if the stock bolts do come with stocks from the factory or not, just for my own info. Especially since so many used stocks come with the stock bolt, and also since it was just a question. I do not believe simply asking an honest question about if it was included was any reason to get so upset? Thanks to anyone who has purchased a standard stock set from the factory and can answer this for me....<><....:) 
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline PHATINJUN

• "Seeker of the Red Mist"
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (144)
Re: stock and stock bolt question
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2008, 05:24:32 AM »
Andy every stock set I have bought from factory has come w/bolt and forend screw. I am sure if someone bought a set and they just by chance forgot to put with the set...they will make it right if they were called thats what they are really good at :)Kurt
Deceased 2/16/24
https://www.dignitymemorial.com/obituaries/machesney-park-il/kurt-heckman-11671764

Sportster17M2,20"Nickle410Tamer,26"410,
WTUTI12ga,WTU25-06,M158 22RemJet, 24"Ultra.204Ruger24"UltraFluted.204Ruger
M157Mannliker.22Hornet,24".223UltraFluted,   24".223Ultra,7X64BrenekkeUltra,22-250AIUltraFluted            7.62x39,22"303Britstub.32H&Rmag, .32303BritstubHuntsman,24" SS.50calHuntsman 58calHuntsman 12gaHuntsman
NEF RevolversSSModel73.32H&Rmag                     Blued Model73.32H&R mag The herd is shrinking!!
                                 "SOLI DEO GLORIA"

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2008, 06:06:11 AM »
They've been on the stocks I've ordered from H&R, but it was always as a rifle coming back with an accessory barrel. Those stocks I've ordered from Brownell's didn't come with bolts or screws, and they get them from H&R, so I'd venture to guess they don't normally have bolts and screws, that H&R adds them to the order if you ask. But it's not really a big deal since the bolt is a standard cap screw available locally, same for the forend screw. Although the button head screw for the laminated thumbhole isn't readily available for most folks. There's no mention of the stock bolts on the Retail Parts Price List although they do mention sling studs and recoil pads.

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline OHHJIMMY

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2008, 06:21:29 AM »
I ordered a TDC set from H&R and it didn't come with bolt or screw, but I didn't ask for them because I was replacing a set and didn't need them. As was said, you can buy them at a hardware, so it's no big deal.

Offline McLernon

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2008, 07:11:50 AM »
I received two stock sets from Brownells and neither came with screws or bolts.

Mc

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2008, 05:08:24 PM »
Thanks guys, I know I can purchase them at the local hardware store for under $2.00 each. I guess I was a bit worried I had done something wrong when he went of on a tirade after I asked if the stock came with the bolt....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline burntmuch

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (114)
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2008, 05:23:07 PM »
I think if its listed here. It should be listed with or without
I dont care what gun Im using as long as Im hunting

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2008, 03:32:53 PM »
this one said nothing so I asked, boy did he blow up....<><.... ???

Offline DalesCarpentry

• Trade Count: (32)
  • I would rather be shooting!!
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2008, 03:53:56 PM »
The guy does not sound like a very nice guy and it is proably best not to deal with him. Dale
The quality of a mans life is in direct proportion to his commitment to excellence.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work!!