Author Topic: CCW PA -63 carry ?????????  (Read 850 times)

Offline Ray Cover

• Trade Count: (0)
CCW PA -63 carry ?????????
« on: April 16, 2008, 07:44:19 AM »
I tried a search but like most forum searches nothing relevant came up even though I would bet money this gets ask a lot. :-\

Anyway,

I have a PA-63 as a CCW and I am having trouble finding a good conceal solution that does not print.  Part of my problem is I need to lose 35 lbs. (I am working on that on).   I believe the other problem is I just have not found the correct leather/kydex to get the job done.

The problem is that if I carry inside the pants in front it is constantly gouging my belly. IF I carry inside the pants in back it prints if I lean over even a little to pick something up.  I have not tried a shoulder harness type rig yet. Could that be part of the answer?

During the cool months it is not as big of a problem because wearing a jacket pretty much takes care of the printing but now that it is warm out it is becoming an issue.

any suggestions or advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Ray

Offline Robert357

• Contributor
Re: CCW PA -63 carry ?????????
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2008, 08:02:16 PM »
I have an uncle Mike's inside the pants holster that I position at about 4:00 PM looking down from above my head with my belly button as high noon.  That and a fleece or leather jacket and it is totally invisible.  A really good thick and wide leather belt over jeans helps smooth things out a lot.

Depending upon where I go and how paranoid I am, I will choose between a PA-63, Ruger Security 6 357, or a Astra Terminator snubnose 44 Rem Magnum.  The 44 Mag is mostly for hiking/hunting.

Offline BIG Dog454

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2008, 02:33:55 AM »
I likewise could loose 30 lbs. and carry a pa-63 sometimes, I use a Don Hume outside the waistban holster that is the same one as for a PPK, I can wear it under a T-shirt with little or no print. The only time someone noticed, was my nephew, who works undercover for the state police, but he said that they are trained to look for those things.

Offline Ray Cover

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2008, 02:57:07 AM »
THanks for the info guys,

Big dog, where around your waistband do you find to be most effective?

Right now I have a Bianchi inside the Pant holster.  If I wear it at about 1:30 in the waistband my belly pushes my shirt out enough to keep it hid but Lord help me when I sit down.  :o  in the back I can't bend over without a major print.

I also tend to wear cotton Fly fishing shirts and shooting shirts a lot because I like the vented back shirts in warmer weather.  I usually keep them a bit wrinkled and untucked so the wrinkles help camouflage any angular print line that  might pop up when I turn this way or that.

I think part of the problem might be the gun itself.  I have the original grips on it  with the thumb ramp.  That makes the grip of the gun about 3/8" thicker than it has to be.  I may put some different grips on it to make it thinner and see if that helps.

Ray

Offline jimster

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2008, 05:26:40 AM »
I know everyone is different in build,  but about 5 or 6 years ago I lost 30 plus pounds, and it made a huge difference on on carrying concealed for me. 
Before i lost the weight I carried OWB all the time,  and it was hard to get things feeling comfy. After the weight loss, it's been IWB most the time and OWB sometimes in colder weather, but one thing is for sure, things sure felt different carrying after the weight loss, and I feel a lot more comfortable.  The Gun has nowhere to gouge me anymore.  Some people don't have a problem with the extra weight and carrying, I think I did because I'm shorter...5'9...a
Anyways...for me it was OWB till I lost some weight. 

Offline rockbilly

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2008, 05:52:53 AM »
Most of us could probably stand to lose 35 pounds, I know I could, and I am working on it.

I carry a PA-63 on occasion, and also a P-64, I have used all kinds of holsters, but didn't like any of them.  I solved the problem with the P-64 by carrying it in my right front jeans pocket (fits well, easy in and out and little or no imprint).  The PA-63 is a little larger, so it doesn't fir well in the front pocket.  As I said, I don't like holsters, so i settled on the Skyline Clipdraw.  It attaches to slide with a high bond tape, easy on, and will remove very easy if you don't like it.  I wear it inside the pants at about the same position Robert suggested, or wear it in the small of my back when standing or walking.  A tee shirt hides it with no imprint.  I purchased one Clipdraw, then cut and threaded a couple of extra pieces that attach to the guns, now all I have to do is remove two screws and move the clip to thee gun I want.

Offline 44 Man

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2008, 02:50:19 AM »
Well, I've just lost 30 lbs and I recommend Weight Watchers.  But I find I had/have the same problem with concealed carry.  I found the solution is to buy an Agent belt from Acker.  It has a plastic stiffener inside it and it will not twist and roll and allow your love handles to push the gun butt out and make it priint so easily.  I wear mine in an IWB kydex Blade Tec at 4;00 o'clock and find that works fine.  It is a tuckable and I loosely tuck my shirt in so it blouses some at my belt.  The extra looseness there helps hide the gun and often works better than an untucked shirt.  Also you will find that it works best to buy your pants one size larger for IWB carry and you definetly want shirts that are loose and not snug.  I have been carrying for 35 years and my own children did not know until they were teenagers and I told them.  I'm sure this advice will help.  Good luck on losing the pounds.  It's actually pretty easy with Weight Watchers.  You get to eat plenty of food and learn to make better choices and still the weight comes off.  I've lost over 30 lbs since the first of the year.  I find having to attend the meetings also helps keep me from cheating because I know i have to check in weekly.  44 Man
You are never too old to have a happy childhood!

Offline Ray Cover

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2008, 02:25:18 PM »
44 man,

Thanks for the tip on the belt and the holster.  My biggest problem is that I have a sit down job that keeps me sedentary during the day.  I am joining a martial arts class the first of May to help me get some exercise.  Once I get in a little better shape I have friends who are wanting me to run with them a couple nights a week as well.  Hopefully that will help.

Ray