Author Topic: Right Receiver?  (Read 716 times)

Offline bowhunt101

• Trade Count: (1)
Right Receiver?
« on: March 06, 2008, 02:55:16 PM »
I called H&R to see what barrels I could buy for my receiver and they told me that if my gun was more than ten years old I could only use a very limited number of barrels. I have barrels they say will not work and have shot them, I am a little worried now. Also after you are done with a topic how do you delete it?

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
Re: Right Receiver?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2008, 02:58:56 PM »
We don't delete topics, others will benefit from the answer to your questions. ;)

Tim
"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain

Offline bowhunt101

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2008, 03:00:59 PM »
Ok Thanks

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2008, 03:02:42 PM »
bowhunt101

The older frames were not made to take the pressures that some of barrels that H&R offers produce , you can check in the FAQs to see what year your frame was made , that will give you some idea as to what barrels you should be using on your frame .

As for deleting a a topic , why would you want or need to ?

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline bowhunt101

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2008, 03:07:31 PM »
I was looking for a new barrel on the classified forum and got two I though I should take the ad off.

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2008, 03:10:34 PM »
If you read the classified rules, you'll see we don't delete them there either unless necessary due to the item being moved to an auction, leaving them there allows others to see what something sells for if they don't know, the classifieds are searchable with the forum search feature as well as any forum.

Tim

Offline stimpylu32

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (67)
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2008, 03:26:15 PM »
bowhunt101

I went back to your posts and i think i see what your worried about , 270 & 280 barrels ? what are the first 2 letters on your frame , check in the FAQs at the top of this forum there is a list with the years .

Both the 270 and 280 are considered to be high pressure barrels by H&R so if your frame was made before 1999 they will not fit these barrels as the frames were made and heat treated differently .

stimpy
Deceased June 17, 2015

:D If i can,t stop it with 6 it can,t be stopped

Offline bowhunt101

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2008, 03:37:02 PM »
I have four The one is an old topper with 30-30 gun is older than me I know it will not work, I have two that start with NK and one that starts with AR I have a 270,280,243,223,25-06

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2008, 03:56:37 PM »
The AR frame was made in 1977, is cast iron, H&R won't fit barrels to any frame made before 1987,  the NK frame is too old for fitting of any of the * marked barrels due to the lack of heat treating as Stimpy mentioned. Shotgun, Huntsman and barrels not marked with an * can be fitted to the NK frame tho.

Tim

http://www.hr1871.com/Support/accessoryProgram.aspx

Offline Ditchdigger

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (12)
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2008, 04:24:26 PM »
Some of the older frames that Nef wont fit the new barrels for,came with 280's and the higher pressure barrels.I don't know how far back they went though.MSP has one of the older actions that came with the 280 barrels from the factory.  Digger
Rest in Peace Old Friend July 2017

Offline carbineman

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2008, 04:35:09 PM »
Some of the older frames that Nef wont fit the new barrels for,came with 280's and the higher pressure barrels.I don't know how far back they went though.MSP has one of the older actions that came with the 280 barrels from the factory.  Digger

We had an 30-06 and a .308 like this that we traded because of stuck spent cases. It always makes me wonder if anyone ever blew up one of these actions or had one crack or could have gotten hurt? This has always made me wonder why these actions were not recalled if H&R has determined that they can't hold up to the stress? Am I the only one that has thought this?

Offline lendar

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2008, 03:10:16 PM »
I will ask the same question. Is my 97 frame with an original 243 barrel safe?

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2008, 03:20:42 PM »
That would be a good question to ask H&R, give Gordon a call and see what he says. (866)776--9292 toll free.  ;)

Tim

Offline lendar

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2008, 11:46:35 AM »
I gave them a call and Gordon was away from his desk.  I asked one of the other people about the issue and was told my 1997, older frame, with an original 243 barrel was safe, but it was not safe to put a new 308 barrel on it.  She could not give me a "why" that's just the way it is.  She was very nice but I still do not understand. She did say that the steel was changed in 99 but we have been told that right along and I don't have a problem with that. Are the older frames with the original asterisk barrels on them safe?  I still don't know and I'm not sure Gordon could explain it.  In all the years I have been reading on this site I have never  read about a handi frame blowing up or anything close, so that says a lot to me. 

Offline MTGlass

• Avid Poster
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2008, 01:11:54 PM »
I've pondered the same question myself.  I left Gordon a voice mail posing this question a couple of weeks ago.  He didn't return my call.

I have a '96 frame that shipped with a .280 barrel. I was planning on putting a few hundred rounds a year through it, but in light of uncertainty, that may be a bit much...
Cordially,

MTGlass

Card Carrying Armed American Citizen