Author Topic: problem with daughters house gun  (Read 554 times)

Offline gon2shoot

• Trade Count: (0)
problem with daughters house gun
« on: March 12, 2008, 01:41:07 PM »
Sorry if this has been done to death.
My daughter bought a 20ga single (used) when she took it out it wouldn't fire, said there was no mark at all on the primer.
I am unfamilar with these and won't get home again for a couple months, I was told this group knows all there is to know about Handis.
 So, can ya help out a levernut? ???

Offline MSP Ret

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (173)
Re: problem with daughters house gun
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2008, 01:50:27 PM »
perhaps a broken firing pin or missing/broken transfer bar? Get us the first 2 letters of the serial number, H? or N? and we can suggest if she can send it back to H&R for a free repair. If you were around the parts are cheap (or free from them) and the repair could be very easy....<><....:)
"Giving up your gun to someone else on demand is called surrender. It means that you have given up your ability to protect yourself to a power that is greater than you." - David Yeagley

Offline gon2shoot

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2008, 02:13:08 PM »
 She says the transfer bar only comes up about half way, (had her using my Rugers as a guide).
 Do I understand that these have a two piece bar?

Offline quickdtoo

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (149)
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2008, 02:20:23 PM »
Yes, the transfer bar or lifter and striker is a 2-pc affair, sometimes the peen isn't sufficient and it allows them to separate or not work right. The pic shows two of them on the pin it would be mounted on in the gun, the extra is to show both sides, it's a pic I took to help someone install one. You can also download the instructions with better pics at www.perkloafm.com If the gun isn't too old, H&R will gladly repair it as MSP said.

Tim

"Always do right, this will gratify some and astonish the rest" -  Mark Twain