Author Topic: POI between two loads dilema  (Read 657 times)

Offline rifleman

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Avid Poster
POI between two loads dilema
« on: April 10, 2008, 04:39:10 PM »
I've got a new 243 that I've been working up loads for. One is using Nosler 55 gr BTs over H414 for coyotes and other varmints. The other load is a Hornady 100 gr Interlock over H4831SC for whitetails. The difference in POI between the two is 2.75" vertical and 1.4" horizontal, with the 55 gr BT being highest on the target.

Both loads have so far proven to be Sub MOA which is makes me happy. I don't really want to jockey my scope around to accomodate the two loads. Option 1 is starting over again with one or the other load. Option 2 would be to just forget the 55 gr BTs and use the Interlocks for everything. I'm not that concerned with saving the fur. Any other suggestions?

TIA
Dave

Offline KN

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: POI between two loads dilema
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2008, 07:38:17 PM »
If it were me I would stick with the 100 grainers and be done with it.    KN

Offline Siskiyou

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2008, 08:03:15 PM »
My current .243 coyote load is the 80-grain Power Point.  After running the 80-grain Power Point load against the 100-grain loads I find out the 100-grain bullet shoots flatter at long range.  I have a busload of 80-grain bullets so I will keep loading them until gone or DOA. I plan on doing some range testing and see if I can correlate the loads and make up data cards.  If the two loads perform well on paper side-by-side I will stay sighted in with the 80-grain option.

Another option is taking advantage of my Banner with BDC.  I have a blank disc for the scope and could set it up for the 100-grain bullet.
There is a learning process to effectively using a gps.  Do not throw your compass and map away!

Boycott: San Francisco, L.A., Oakland, and City of Sacramento, CA.

Offline Catfish

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2008, 02:27:35 AM »
If you have a good scope don`t get hung-up about changing zero on it. With my .22-6mm it is never fire 2 shots, in the field, with the same zero. I lazier my targets and and adjust elevation for range.

Offline wncchester

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2008, 03:23:44 AM »
It is common for POI to change with different loads.  Either stick to one or change the scope adjustment.
Common sense is an uncommon virtue

Offline LONGTOM

• Trade Count: (391)
  • IF ONLY I COULD GO BACK-I WOULD BE A MOUNTAIN MAN!
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2008, 03:45:03 AM »
There is one other way. The two loads aren't that far apart. Just as a thought how about a happy medium, split the difference. Then the two would only be alittle less that 1.5" different vertical and a little less than 3/4" horizontal. With the two loads now being this close I dought you would miss many shots with either load.
JUST A THOUGHT!

LONGTOM
NRA Benefactor Life Member
NAHC Life Member
NRA Member-JAMES MADISON BRIGADE
IWLA Member
NRA/ILA Member
CCRKBA Member
US OLIMPIC SHOOTING TEAM supporter

"THE TREE OF LIBERTY FROM TIME TO TIME MUST BE REFRESHED WITH THE BLOOD OF PATRIOTS AND TYRANTS".
THOMAS JEFFERSON

That my two young sons may never have to know the horrors of war. 

I will stand for your rights as my forefathers did before me!
My thanks to those who have, are and will stand for mine!
To those in the military, I salute you!

LONGTOM 9-25-07

Offline PartsMan

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (7)
  • Proud Handi Owner
    • myspace
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2008, 04:23:05 AM »
Sight the 55g 2" high as they will be for long varmint/predator shots.
Then your deer load will be .75" low and 1.4" to the side.
Not to bad at the ranges a 243 is good for deer. Plus they have a much larger kill zone.

Of course it's not that bad to sight in twice a year. Before and after deer season.
How much varmint shooting do you do during deer season anyway?

Offline rifleman

• Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2008, 07:58:06 AM »
I was getting too focused on the total difference between the two and not thinking about the desired POI of each load. I started doing the math as some have pointed out. If I put the 55 gr load @ 2" high centered, and want the deer load 1" high centered the difference is 1.5" windage (6 clicks) and about 1.75 " elevation (7 clicks) plus or minus. Should be doable.

I'll try that out at least until I burn up the 55 gr rounds that I have presently loaded up and see how it works. If'n I don't like it, I can always just stick with the 100 grainers for everything. As some have pointed out you need to check zero at least once a year or more anyway.

Actually, I enjoy the whole reloading process at least as much as the shooting, so doing the different loads are not the problem. Actually, I almost hate to give up a load.

I do little if any coyote hunting during deer hunting. Except for targets of opportunity, of which we've done in 2 coyotes each of the last 2 deer seasons. My main coyote rifle is the 223 and the 243 is backup or for my son to use. One day down the road it is intended to be for my new grandson.

Dave

Offline jhalcott

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2008, 10:24:48 AM »
  Rifleman, YOU are missing on one other "posssible " remedy! You COULD buy a second scope for the "other" load. Just replace the scope when changing loads!!! ::)

Offline LONGTOM

• Trade Count: (391)
  • IF ONLY I COULD GO BACK-I WOULD BE A MOUNTAIN MAN!
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2008, 10:49:38 AM »

I have got the ultimate solution!!!!
JUST GO OUT AND BUY ANOTHER HANDI IN 243.
Then set that one up for the other load.
Works for me! Good enought reason to get another gun. ::)

LONGTOM
NRA Benefactor Life Member
NAHC Life Member
NRA Member-JAMES MADISON BRIGADE
IWLA Member
NRA/ILA Member
CCRKBA Member
US OLIMPIC SHOOTING TEAM supporter

"THE TREE OF LIBERTY FROM TIME TO TIME MUST BE REFRESHED WITH THE BLOOD OF PATRIOTS AND TYRANTS".
THOMAS JEFFERSON

That my two young sons may never have to know the horrors of war. 

I will stand for your rights as my forefathers did before me!
My thanks to those who have, are and will stand for mine!
To those in the military, I salute you!

LONGTOM 9-25-07

Offline rifleman

• Avid Poster
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2008, 11:40:44 AM »
LONGTOM,

I like the way ya think!!!

Unfortunately my next acquisition is going to be either an O/U 12 ga shotgun or some rifle in 7mm08.

jhalcott,

THere's some merit in what you say. I've been contemplating replacing the black scope with a silver one on my Stainless 17HMR. That would give me an "extra" scope, so to speak.

These forums are a lot like therapy. You talk about your problems and learn how to deal with them. Sometimes it's the therapists that come up with the solution, and sometimes just talking about them you realize that the solution was right under your nose the entire time.   ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Dave
AKA rifleman

Offline jhalcott

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2008, 04:55:03 PM »
  when ever I go out of state for hunting I take a second scope sighted in for the gun ammo I'm using. Mounted in Weaver rings, it is ready to go IF the main one gets damaged. I have tried this a few times and the 2 scopes hold zero quite well,at least good enough for most deer hunting. This COULD save a hunt even if you have to go back to camp to change the scopes! I do like the idea of the 2nd gun though!

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2008, 10:56:37 AM »
Ummmm, sight your rifle for your preferred whitetail load and use Kentucky windage for your lighter load???????  Just a thought.  Mikey.