Author Topic: brass chasing  (Read 766 times)

Offline cbourbeau32

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
  • A Real Regular
brass chasing
« on: March 02, 2008, 10:55:19 AM »
When you shoot at the range do you have any advice or things you do to make it easier to find your brass when you are shooting an auto loader? I had thought of taking a large tarp when I shoot outside and spreading it out in the direction that my empties fly in. I shoot both indoors and outdoors. Thanks, Charlie
NRA Life Member, US Navy Veteran.

Oklahoma has 77 counties, Romney-77, Obama-0

I'll keep my Guns, my Freedom's and my Money.
You can keep the "Change"

Offline Castaway

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: brass chasing
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2008, 12:13:22 PM »
If there's a wall, get the far right lane.  I mark my autoloader brass with an "X".  If others are shooting the same caliber, it's easy to sort yours from theirs by looking at the base of the case.

Offline jhm

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2008, 12:35:37 PM »
A good friend of mine took one of the inexpensive golf nets that are sold for yard practice and had his wife sew a old bed sheet to fit it, the brass hits it and falls to the ground and its ready to be lifted and allow the brass to all go to one end.   HTH   JIM

Offline Luckyducker

• Trade Count: (5)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2008, 01:29:42 PM »
JHM, thanks for sharing your friends idea!  I need something like this, especially for my 9X18Mak.  It seems as though the ground just opens up and swallows about half of it.  At least with my 45 I can find it if I just look.  Now if I can just get the wife to cooperate, as she knows how to sew but .....

Offline cbourbeau32

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (44)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2008, 01:59:45 PM »
Thanks for the replies. I love this site. Charlie
NRA Life Member, US Navy Veteran.

Oklahoma has 77 counties, Romney-77, Obama-0

I'll keep my Guns, my Freedom's and my Money.
You can keep the "Change"

Offline Hillbilly Jim

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (4)
  • Avid Poster
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2008, 02:22:35 PM »
9x18 brass loss is costly and both of my CZ's spread brass up to 15 yards away.  I have a new set of Wolf recoil springs to try tomorrow, they may help.   
When shooting on grass I mark where I will shoot from and  put a hat or something about where the most of the brass should fall.  If grass is very tall I dont shoot anything that I would be upset about losing.  If a range is open that has white chat rock surface, then I will use it and brass recovery is much better.
Tried tarps, but if ejection is consistant enough to hit on tarp you really dont need the tarp unless grass is high   No good answer except to shoot a wheel gun.
Cheers Hillbilly jim

Offline Lloyd Smale

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2008, 02:36:43 PM »
tried to train my dog to pick it up and put it in a can but hed have nothing to do with it!!!
blue lives matter

Offline Hairtrigger

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2008, 02:55:36 PM »
tried to train my dog to pick it up and put it in a can but hed have nothing to do with it!!!

I have not had any luck with my wife either

Offline Chappy

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2008, 02:59:07 PM »
A few years ago, my black lab sniffed a case just ejected from my AR15.  He burnt his nose and now avoids these spent cases like the plague.  Thankfully, he did not get a fear of guns and still loves to hunt.  I've since purchased a strap-on net-type catcher for my AR, much like the one Midway has on sale now for $7.99, part number 855937.  It works great.
For catching brass coming out of my 1911, I have a cloth bag type catcher that that slips on your shooting hand.  It catches about 75% of the cases and is not too cumbersome once you get used to it.

Regards, Chappy

Offline Tom W.

• Moderators
  • Warning... Does not play well with others!
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2008, 04:13:08 PM »
Take a kid with you. You'd be surprised at how much brass they can recover.....Not to mention starting a new shooter..
Tom
Alabama Hunter and firearms safety instructor

I really like my handguns!

Offline Jim n Iowa

• A Real Regular
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2008, 03:07:29 PM »
On my Ar I just drap a shop cloth folded correctly over the ejection port and the cases stay there.
Jim

Offline cybin

• Trade Count: (25)
  • Contributor
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2008, 04:18:11 PM »
For my Ruger p-90 (.45) I use a tarp about 25 feet away from me, and then still have to use a metal detector to pick it all up. Probably one of the reasons I don't shoot it much. I don't reload for .45, but hate to leave brass laying around. The metal detector comes in handy for the brass--I lose very little.
Cybin