Author Topic: Shot my new Rossi Matched Pair today  (Read 1357 times)

Offline mattbodnarchuk

• Trade Count: (0)
Shot my new Rossi Matched Pair today
« on: January 20, 2008, 02:18:37 PM »
Hi guys,

I recently bought a Rossi Matched Pair (.22LR/12 ga.) and finally took it to the range today. Out of the box (and after a VERY thorough cleaning...man was that bore cruddy), the first six shots with the .22 were at dead center at 25 yards and grouped about 2" (obviously I'm going to have to break the barrel in yet). I bet it would have been 1" if the rifle were scoped or if the "iron" sights weren't so crappy.

Anyway, I'm really pleased with the rifle/shotgun so far in terms of accuracy and appearance. I would say that the quality of the workmanship of the gun is about 85 - 90% of an NEF combo I used to own. For $140, you can't beat this combo with a stick. I also fired a few slugs from the 12 gauge barrel, just too see how it would kick, since it's very light as a shotgun (5.25 pounds). It kicked hard, but was manageable, and I will be taking it squirrel/rabbit hunting next week (not with slugs, mind you ;) )

I also own a stainless-steel Ruger 10/22 with a Houge stock and pretty decent scope, but for some reason I enjoy shooting "old-fashioned" guns like the single-shot Rossi much more. If it turns out to be a real shooter after break-in, I might even get rid of the Ruger!

Just thought I'd share my thoughts/experiences.

Matt

Offline tucker

Re: Shot my new Rossi Matched Pair today
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2008, 11:53:07 AM »
Hello mattbodnarchuk. I'm tucker, new to all this. Doctor says I need a hobby. So here I am giving something a try. A real good friend of mine pointed me to this forum. Been reading some about guns, I know somethings about airguns, I've had those. I'm Interested in some of these old timey like shotguns. I want to keep things simple and uncomplicated as I can. Can you let me know more about this type of gun? Are they really a safe gun to shoot?...guess I mean, if they are strong built? And how does the trigger feel, light pull? or stiff? Thanks for your information. tucker

Offline mattbodnarchuk

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2008, 10:20:04 AM »
Hi Tucker,

Welcome to the forum.

I also enjoy shooting airguns. If you've shot spring-piston airguns before, you'll find that loading is somewhat similar to the single-shot rifles and shotguns from Rossi, NEF etc. You open the action, insert a single round, cock the external hammer and pull the trigger. The main difference, obviously, is that the single-shot firearm ejects the spent case/shell when you open the action again.

If you are looking to get into firearms, there's no better/safer way to start than with a single-shot, because they are the simplest and most reliable (fewest moving parts, fewer things can go wrong). The Rossi guns in particular are especially safe, as they have a separate safety in addition to the external hammer (most single-shots do not). I also like the single-shots for their "old-timey-ness".

Anyway, the combo I have is well built and the action closes up very tight, just like a New England Firearms combo I had before. I definitely feel that the gun is safe to shoot. As I said in my first post, the quality is about 85% of the NEF combo, but that refers to cosmetic quality only. I personally think the Rossi combo I have is a very handsome looking gun. I have shot about 150 - 200 rounds with the .22 barrel and have had no problems. After mounting a scope, cleaning the barrel and firing those break-in rounds, the gun is grouping very nicely at 25 yards so far. I still need to break in the barrel some more and try the shotgun barrel some more. As for the trigger pull, it's about 6 pounds I think, which is kind of heavy, but my old Ruger 10/22 was even stiffer, so I'm used to it. A gunsmith can lighten it up for you most likely.

I really liked that the combo came included with a well-made padded case, which holds both barrels and the receiver. For $140, I'm very satisfied with the purchase. If you're just looking for the shotgun only, I think you can get one new for less than $100. I'd go with 12 gauge or 20 gauge. Also, don't forget to pick up a gun cleaning kit for whatever calibers/gauges you will be getting.

Hope that answers your questions. If you have any more questions, ask away. Make sure your friend goes over basic firearm safety with you BEFORE you actually go out to shoot. I recently went shooting with a group of people, one of whom did not have a lot of experience, and she inadvertently pointed a loaded pistol at me at about 1 yard away when she turned to ask a question. Someone else was responsible for prepping her for the range session, but did not. ALWAYS keep the muzzle end of the gun pointed in a safe direction.

Matt

Offline tucker

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2008, 02:17:59 PM »
Hi Matt. Thank you for the reply. My friend has the springpiston gun that I've shot, its accurate to! We were at a gun shop looking at different guns, but there were no rossi guns. There were the nef and an old savage. Yes Matt you are right, safety first! Your information is very helpful. Thank you! Tucker