Author Topic: Any Montana Handgun Hunters here  (Read 964 times)

Offline Cottonwood

• Trade Count: (5)
  • "Capturing the moment, to last a lifetime"
Any Montana Handgun Hunters here
« on: August 26, 2008, 12:07:58 AM »
Well I know we have a room up at the top for this, but I figured I would ask of our "Montana Hunters"

After having suffered a left shoulder injury earlier this year, it prevents me from bowhunting at all this year and may require surgery.  But, I figure my other avenue is to hunt with a handgun since we do have some weapons restricted areas here.

I will be using a S&W 629 6" .44 Mag that may be topped with a red dot scope for my handgun hunting this year.

Offline pab1

• Trade Count: (54)
  • A Real Regular
Re: Any Montana Handgun Hunters here
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2008, 04:01:05 PM »
You know theres at least one more here! I still can't believe you went with double actions (lol). Seriously though, they are great looking guns and good luck this season.
"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace. "
Thomas Paine

Offline Cottonwood

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2008, 05:17:09 PM »
Pab1

An SA 4 5/8ths with a scope on it just would not have looked very well IMHO, and I had a couple of other issues that I could not get around.  The trigger kept pinching my trigger finger and took skin off the finger, and the rounded trigger guard kept nailing me in the knuckle as it rolled back.  I have always wanted a S&W 629 6" anyway, and just could not pass this one up.  My next handgun just might be another S&W after tax filing......

But for this years season, I now have an excellent handgun for hunting with.

I will be getting out to the range here this week to run this thru some good test.

Offline Double D

• Trade Count: (3)
  • SAMCC cannon by Brooks-USA
    • South African Miniature Cannon Club
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2008, 03:39:10 PM »
A man who can shoot a DA is a truely dedicated handgunner.  It takes a good deal of skill to shoot double action...you are of course shooting double action aren't you?  ;D ;D

If I were handgun hunting is would be with a SW 29 with 8 inch barrel and iron sights or a 10 inch, Ruger Super Blackhawk with iron sights...either in .44. 

I have used both the Contender and the XP100 for hunting and they both served well.  The TC in 30 Herrett took several Oregon coast whitetails were a good. The XP in 7TCU worked good on javelina and a Fallow deer. But there is just something different using a traditional SA and DA revolvers.

I had to give up the string and stick years ago due to arthritis in my shoulder.  I did so enjoy it. When i switched over to handgun the stalking skils leartned from archery paid big dividends.

Offline pab1

• Trade Count: (54)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2008, 06:02:04 PM »
Montanan, you've got a nice set-up for this season and many to come with your S&Ws . Sorry to hear about the issues with the SA Ruger. Thats a beautiful gun!
"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace. "
Thomas Paine

Offline Cottonwood

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2008, 11:33:47 PM »
Thanks Pab1 - I really feel like I got a great deal on it as well.