Author Topic: What hunting magazines do you like...  (Read 2220 times)

Offline IronKnees

• IronKnees
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Contributor
    • HANDLOADING FOR HUNTING
What hunting magazines do you like...
« on: May 10, 2003, 05:36:31 AM »
Without mention of the ones that I have now and am getting tired of or don't much like any more, I was wondering what hunting magazines you guys subscribe to, and continue to like...
I want to finish well
I want to end this race
Still leaning on HIS AMAZING GRACE

Offline bobg

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
magazines
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2003, 12:03:27 PM »
My favorites are Pedersons Hunting and Guns And Ammo. I also get both NRA mags.

bobg :)

Offline Rick Teal

• A Real Regular
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2003, 12:07:39 PM »
You may want to take a look at "Big Buck" out of Alberta.

It's usually just straight forward hunting yarns written by the shooter without any equipment, style or area hype that you find in most hunting mags.  The stories run around 1 or 2 pages in length, so you don't have to sit there wondering when something will happen in the narrative.
Hunting is Exciting!  Bolt actions are BORING!!
Don't mix the two!

Offline myronman3

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2003, 04:03:43 PM »
traditional bowhunter.   this is a mag that is absolutly devoted to the telling of hunting stories that hasnt been perverted by the all-mighty dollar.   the stories arent written to promote products.   and you need not be a traditional bowhunter to enjoy the stories.   pick up a copy.   you wont be sorry.

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (69)
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2003, 08:05:49 PM »
Well other than the "big 3" back in their hey day of the 50s and 60s there hasn't really been much worth my money since Petersen's Hunting went crazy. They hired some yo-yo of a bow hunter, maybe Todd something or other? He ruined it and no one has improved it since even tho they've had maybe 2-3 Editors since. As far as I'm concerned there isn't a national hunting rag worth paying ten cents a year for these days.

I do subscribe to Alabama Game and Fish and it isn't too bad. Worth the few bucks a year it costs I guess since it does have many articles about the Bama WMAs and lakes. There is one for most all of the southern states at least under the same name but change the state name. I get the monthly rag from the NA Hunting Club but only because I signed up as a life member before I figured out what a joke they were. Long on promises and short on delivery.

These days I take Shooting Times for the Rick Jamison articles and to see what is new. I also take Rifle and Handloader Magazines. Still get the American Rifleman on my NRA Life memebership but am considering changing to the American Hunter for awhile.

GB

Bill aka the Graybeard
President, Graybeard Outdoor Enterprises
256-435-1125

I am not a lawyer and do not give legal advice.

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Norwester

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2003, 09:52:43 PM »
About the only ones I bother with anymore,besides American Rifleman is Shooting Times,Rifle,and Handloader. I got tired of reading gun reviews in Guns and Ammo on firearms that weren't due to hit the market for another year,year and a half. Petersons has just been going downhill for a long time.It is kind of amusing to watch certain writers contradict each other in the same mag and often themselves in the next issue. I may get a subscription to Gun Tests mag,just to read a negative review,once in my lifetime. :roll:
Jeff

Offline IronKnees

• IronKnees
  • Contributor
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2003, 02:14:58 AM »
I used to just love Buckmasters, but .... well you get the picture. To be absolutely honest, I have never even heard of Petersons... Would one of you guys point me to their website, or give me some other information.

Gun World, at least IMHO is still good, but then, Richard Folsland is an old friend of mine, so maybe I'm not qualified to judge that one. I still like shooting times too, and at least in my opinion, am able to read past any "stuff" and get the marrow out of the bone, and leave the rest behind...  :grin:
I want to finish well
I want to end this race

Offline Hud

• Avid Poster
    • http://photos.yahoo.com/stevehud58
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2003, 03:17:31 AM »
I subscribe to Fur-Fish-Game, and then I try to cob My sister- in-laws American Hunter when they are done with it. Once in a while I will buy a Pedersons magazine off the stand.

Hud
"Friend, I would not hurt thee for the world; but you are standing where I am about to shoot."

I AM THE NRA...........Life Member.

Offline Ka6otm

• Avid Poster
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2003, 04:39:46 AM »
Ironknees,

I've been reading Peterson's Hunting for a year or so and kind of like it up to now.

Here's the link you requested: http://www.huntingmag.com/

Ka6otm

Offline longwinters

• Moderators
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2003, 08:04:49 AM »
Seems no matter what mag you buy it eventually starts to all sound the same. I have gone the gammet from "Traditional Bowhunter to Peterson Hunting and they all have done the same thing. . . sold out to the BIG DOLLAR. Right now I subscribe to Petersons hunting and am considering the Reloader mag.  When I read a hunting yarn article I like to see what  rifle/bow  etc...they shot but hate it to be an infommercial.  It is one thing for mags to advertise but I consider it unethical to promote a hunting item in a "how to" article or a "hunting in so so land" article without letting the reader know that the hunter is using that item because of $$$$$perks. :cry:
Life is short......eternity is long.

Offline IronKnees

• IronKnees
  • Contributor
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2003, 04:38:09 AM »
You know what, I forgot to mention Boar Hunter magazine... I've been taking a dose of it every two months, and it has improved my outlook on life considerably... :)

http://www.boarhuntermagazine.com

I want to finish well
I want to end this race

Offline Ron T.

• A Real Regular
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2003, 08:05:33 PM »
I subscribe to Field & Stream, Guns & Ammo and NRA's American Rifleman.  The three of them give me a nice cross-section of hunting, gun and technical articles that keep me busy reading them before the next monthly "set" comes.

Strength & Honor,

Ron T.
"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."  - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Yukon Jack

• A Real Regular
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2003, 01:37:10 PM »
While not a hunting specific magazine, Accurate Rifle is my favorite of the gun mags.  I do not like any of the others.  I like Ross Seyfrieds writing in Rifle, but don't like Barness or Pearce.  Not worth the premium they ask for it.

I did just start a subscription to African Hunter, but so far (after 2 issues) I'm not impressed.  Whatever happened to people that could spin a yarn that you could learn from?  Today it seems all so commercial and formulmatic.  I'd take Keith, O'Connor, Atcheson, Whelen, Page, etc.. over any writer out there today (Seyfried being the lone exception).

Offline Ron T.

• A Real Regular
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2003, 03:26:26 PM »
Yukon Jack....

Thought I'd advise you that John Barsness' net name is "Mule Deer"... and he posts at sites like this one.

It would be nice to avoid anyone being embarrassed or getting their feelings hurt.

Ron T.
"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."  - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2003, 07:26:34 PM »
I don't believe Barness or any of the others mentioned post here but can't be 100% sure of that. For sure you never know who might be reading. BUT if a writer for a major magazine can't take some honest critism then they probably should find a new profession. For sure they are gonna get a lot of negatives along with the positive.

My single biggest complaint about the writers in the magazines is that way too many of them these days are on the pay roll of the manufacturers who's products they are trying to sell in their articles. Maybe it is just me but that just doesn't set well with me. I liked the old days when the writers at least for the most part paid their own way or the magazine did and they were obligated to make all of their articles into an infomercial about all the different products they used on the hunt. Yeah sure tell me what gun ya used and caliber, maybe even the bullet or ammo but only as a casual mention not in a paragraph long commercial.

To me the absolute worst of the lot and one I no longer have any use for and won't even read his stories any longer is Larry Weishunn and that's a shame because before he sold out he was one of my more favored of the modern group. But he is so commercial now that reading anything by him is about the same as listing to a commercial on TV. For him the magazines have become a side line in my opinion to the real money he makes for the likes of TC, Winchester and the others he pitches so much.

When I find something I like I pitch it but dang, I ain't on no one's payroll for sure. Ain't nobody paid for me to go on any hunts in far away places for high priced game either. However I'd not be opposed if someone wants to.  :)

GB

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life anyone who believes in Him will have everlasting life!

Offline Yukon Jack

• A Real Regular
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2003, 08:27:16 PM »
Ron,
Thanks for telling me.  I would be embarrassed, but I didn't even spell his name right, so it wasn't that guy!!!  All joking aside, I have no problem with anything that he or Pearce write, I don't think those guys are lying to us or anything like that.  It just seems to be the same article written the same way every time.  I'm sure John and Brian and good folks, I just don't like the way they write.  Could I do better?  NO.  A resounding NO!!  But it doesn't mean I have to like it either.

Here's my gripe in full (which I should have done in the first place).  Some of it will repeat what Graybeard wrote, so pardon that.  When Keith, O'Connor, et al that I mentioned before (and Seyfreid) writes an article about this rifle, or that animal, it is done in story form.  The specifics are unveiled a little at a time and you are not only entertained, but you learn from them as well.  Some of the new writers, beat you over the head with brand names and ballistics that, while interesting in small doses, are more like reading a text book.  Yes, you may learn something, but I'm not entertained whatsoever.  I really believe if I read one more hunting story that describes each and every facet of the hunting load with the manufacturer's name plastered everywhere and the outfitting services name plastered every other sentence, I'm going to scream.  No only do they give load data, but the ballistics to the nth degree in a hunting story where it matters not one whit whether the bullet drops 38.7 inches or 40.2 inches at 500 yards.  Especially when it is a whitetailed deer taken at less than 100 paces.  Do we really need to be beat over the head with how many foot-pounds of energy he increased his deer load from his new Krieger 26" barreled, 1 in 9 twist, fluted stainless steel squared, lapped and trued xyz action with abc laminated synthetic glued stocked metal work down joe schmoe and stock work by gene doe 300 whizzum while he's hunting in North Alabama where his shot is 150 yards from a tree stand, that a 30/30 or 30-06 from the factory with factory loads could have handled with ease?

It's way too techno nit picky, its way too commercial and there is one paragraph of hunting and the other 3 pages are specs and advertisments for some outfitter, rifle maker, powder, brass, primer, bullet, reloading equipment manufacturer in a HUNTING story.  If they want to spec it out, make it a technical article about a RIFLE or CARTRIDGE, or whatever, don't pollute the hunting stories with downtown text book techno advertisments.

O'Connor, Keith, etc.. got their load information to us and the make, model and manufacturer of their firearms just as well as these guys are doing, but they entertained with some good solid hunting stories and we learned some new hunting tricks, we learned some new reloading and gun information, but it was about the hunt and about the animals and about writing a good entertaining story.

John, Brian, all the other magazine writers, I do apologize if I hurt your feelings or singled you out unfairly.  I was wrong to do that and I do apologize.  I could not do your job, I'm a terrible writer.  I am not entertained though.  I did subscribe to both Rifle and Handloader, but for pure technical specs and introducing me to new gunsmiths and gunmakers, Accurate Rifle does a much better job without being so commercial.  Like I said, I still haven't found a hunting magazine I really like.  I just wish instead of repackaging all the familiar topics, we could repackage Keith, O'Connor, Page, Whelen, etc...  Taylor or Ruark get their technical data acrosss and are bloody entertaining.  If anyone would like to dig some really good hard information in entertaining hunting stories, check out Warren Pages hunts in Africa, or O'Connor's Sheep and Sheep Hunting, or any of Whelen's articles.  Jack Atcheson does a splendid job of it as well.

Again, I do apologize for the nature of my previous post on this topic.

Yukon Jack

Offline kevin.303

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2003, 05:16:30 AM »
i agree with greybeard. i think that some writers and magazines such as field and stream(especially field and stream) have sold out to the manufacturers and are nothing more then one big advertisment. for example it seems that every other issue of field and stream has a an article touting the latest offering from lazzeroni or dakota arms. i mean they're beautiful rifles but not every one can meet the "bargain" price tag of 3,500 big ones. and as much as i like reading about fly-fishing for tarpon or hunting exotic deer in new caledonia it's something i will never do and doesn't really interest me. why fly half-way around the world when i can do the samething by stepping out my backdoor? i have always enjoyed Fur-Fish-Game. i have had a subscription since i was 11 and have dozens of back issues from the 60's through to the early 80's. there stories are and how to articles are more useful to me and the projects are handy and often the only materials you need can be found in the home or are very cheap and easy to purchase. :grin:
" oh we didn't sink the bismarck, and we didn't fight at all, we spent our time in Norfolk and we really had a ball. chasing after women while our ship was overhauled, living it up on grapefruit juice and sick bay alcohol"

Offline denvas

• Avid Poster
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2003, 03:12:55 AM »
I have been participating in a very similar discussion on another forum and wanted to post part of one of my posts there to this forum as I hope it will explain that not all of us in the outdoor media have sold our souls to the manufacturers.

I write because I enjoy it not because I have to depend upon it in order to survive, so I guess it is sort of a hobby for me. But a hobby that has been my sole occupation for the last 18 years of my 23 year career in the media industry. (I am fortunate enough to have a family owned company which provides me with a residual income that allows me to be free from worrying about paying my bills without having to be active in the management of the business. Therefore, I am free to choose not only when or what I write about or film but also who I write for.)

The point I was trying to get across with my original posting was that many of our readers and viewers that I have talked to during my lecture circuit, via email or on the phone have become more and more cynical and contemptuous of the hook and bullet portion of the outdoor media in the last few years. Just look at almost any online forum, talk to our readers at various shows or read the emails from our viewers and you will see that media bashing is becoming a recurring theme, whether it is the Outdoor Channel, web pages or printed publications. Granted, this may be only a small segment of our total outdoor audience, but it is one that is a very vocal portion. And their complaints are based upon their perception of how we as representatives of the outdoor media conduct ourselves and what we write or air.

Many do not understand the return policies that exist in our world concerning such items as firearms or optics. All they see is here’s another writer shooting the newest rifle, using $1,500.00 optics who gets to hunt the biggest bucks in far way exotic places that most of them can only dream about. Many of them do not feel that we have lost touch with the outdoor experience as it exists in this country today and don’t write about real world hunting or shooting as they know it anymore. And unfortunately, with some publications and many of today’s TV series they are 100% correct, whether it be because these venues choose to cater to the advertisers while pursuing the almighty advertising dollar or because it is an editorial decision.

Nor do they understand how much time, effort and money we invest in writing stories that might only pay $400.00 to $1,000.00. Take for instance a black bear hunt I went on in Saskatchewan back in 2000. The guide’s services (room and board at the camp, transportation to and from the airport, and actual guide fees) were donated to the project, but I had to buy a new barrel for my Encore which I chose to use on this hunt, $265.00 as well as airfare to Saskatoon, first and last night hotel rooms, food in route, parking at my local airport, hunting license and bear tag fees, film, film processing costs, ammunition, etc, etc, etc. I would estimate that this portion of the trip would be valued at over $1,500.00. This does not include the time taken away from other possible revenue generating activities or the time at the range to ensure the accuracy of my chosen firearm, time at my computer to compose the article, etc, etc, etc. At an estimated $10.00 an hour this portion of the trip probably cost around $1,500.00 to $2,000.00. And what about the taxidermy costs of $550.00 to mount my trophy? I sold two articles on this hunt and with the photos sold I made approximately $2,500.00. This still left me $1,300.00 short of the actual cost. Yes, I got to hunt very large bears using some of the newest and greatest equipment around, but it was not free. (About the only writers I know who get to go on free trips are some the chosen few who are willing to adhere to the editorial guidelines set down by the same national magazines that many of us now unhappy with in how they present their content.)

In some instances this cynical attitude is based upon our reader’s perceptions of the “benefits” we receive as writers. Take for instance the case of the outdoor writer who for years only hunted with and expounded upon Thompson Center Contender/Encores, almost to the exclusion of all others. This is a well know writer who I will not embarrass here by mentioning his name. But as we have discussed this dilemma in person several times I feel that it is not inappropriate to use it to illustrate my point here. For years 99% of the time all you saw this writer using were Thompson Center Contender/Encore based firearms, both pistols and rifles. To the best of my knowledge he did not have an symbiotic relationship with Thompson Center, he simply liked their firearm designs so much that this was his first choice of firearm to use. And I agree with him, they are well made and versatile designs, I have 9 barrels for my Encore and love to use them all. However, as I traveled around the country on my lecture circuit or meeting readers through other venues, when his name came up he was almost always referred to as Mr. Thompson Center. When asked why they felt this way the response was almost unanimous, “He is being paid by T/C to say good things about their products so we can’t give much credibility to anything he writes about T/C or other brands” or “His stuff is biased because of his relationship with T/C.” Now I am well acquainted with this man and will defend him as being one of the most ethical writers I know of whose integrity is beyond question. To the best of my knowledge he has never let a relationship with a manufacturer influence his writing. However, this taught me that our reader’s perception of how we conduct our business, though maybe somewhat unjustly tainted, is something that we have to recon with if we wish to continue in this business.

This is why I feel that it is very important that when I write I do not come across to my readers as being in the “back pocket” of any of the manufacturers, outfitters, guides or anyone else I might mention in an article or show on TV. (A stand that has cost me several assignments and made me unpopular in certain publishing circles.) This perception on behalf of my readers would be perpetuated for instance if every firearm I write about from month to month was the newest and greatest, an unpopular recurring theme that some writers seem to be unable to break away from. I was not and am not saying that this attitude should be mandatory for everyone in the outdoor media business; it is a decision that I have made that applies only to me. I do not expect others to feel the same way or abide by my decision. As representatives of the outdoor media we have to make individual decisions about what are acceptable parameters for us operate within. I for one prefer to entertain and educate my readers, not lambaste them with technical data that most do not want or need.
Denvas
May the wind always blow in your face and the sun always shine over your shoulder. Then your prey will be unable to smell you and unable to see you until after they hear the crack of your shot!

Offline Graybeard

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2003, 02:27:08 PM »
Denny, to the best of my knowledge I've never read an article by you in a magazine or see you in a video. Perhaps without knowing it was you I guess but I think not. Who do you sell your stories to and videos?

I believe my first recollection of you unless I am mistaken as it was a long time ago was seeing your name in the Records Of Exotics book I got when on my first hunt with Thompson Temple. I'm pretty sure it was you I saw listed many times in there.

GB

Bill aka the Graybeard
256-435-1125

Offline IronKnees

• IronKnees
  • Contributor
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2003, 05:26:27 AM »
Well put GB. And, actually GB has come around full circle and hit on the real reason I started this post (out of curiosity as to what other are thinking) in the first place. I've pretty well gotten tired of the ones (magazines) I subscribe to, because over the years, they have evolved into nothing but adds... Even the articles are obviously biased because the writers are "bound" by the fact that the products they are writing about are on consignment to them from the manufacturers, and are in point of fact, paying the way.

A very close friend of mine who lives in SD writes of a major gun (not hunting) magazine. He is a very religious, and honest guy... And, he and I have discussed numerous times the dilemma of being bound this way. The rifles, scopes, and all the other equipment that he writes about in his handloading column are consigned to him, or, in the case of powders, bullets etc., are sent to him cost free in exchange for the articles, and resulting advertisements. Therein lies the dilemma. What if, just what if, that blasted bullet won't shoot worth a .... well, you fill in the expletive... :-) Or, what if he cant' find a load that new rifle some company consigns to him will shoot well.  Or, what if that gun is a fit and finish "mess"??? He's obligated to write the articles, but how do you do that without the occasional "embellishment" along the way. His articles are bi-monthly, (6 per year) and he makes less than $300 buck per writing... so, there is nothing in it monetarily for him as an incentive to "pad" his articles... I don't know the situation of the really big names, but in this case, it's his situation... Simply put, he insists on writing honest, truthful articles, void of any exaggerations etc...

When I started my little online magazine, I ran into, and became very aware of the very same thing... I started with some "beg" letters to some powder and bullet manufactures, because I wanted to do some handloading and product review articles, and in the process, gained a few companies who were willing to send me a box or two of bullets, and small samples of one powder or another, in exchange for a space in my advertisements, and a product review article... Now, what if I don't like the product. What if I can't get it to perform as advertised... FACT... I will not embellish or exaggerate in an article. And, that is EXACTLY what you do see in some of the popular magazines... Luckily, in my case, at least so far, I have not had this happen, and the handloading, and product review articles have been EXACTLY what I have experienced. No exaggeration, no embellishment, just the facts Mam, just the facts. But, I still worry about the day I have a product and can't find anything good to say about it.

Now, I'm NOT a writer... I just am a guy with a webpage who wanted to start a little online magazine. And, MOST of the folks who send me articles are not writers either. Just guys like you and me who have had a neat hunt, and get a kick out of having their story published.. But again,  in the process, I need at least a couple of "sponsors" so to speak, because I simply can't afford to purchase all the supplies necessary to do the articles... short of having my magazine nothing but hunting articles....

I guess the long and short of it all it that we need to realize that, in today's society, there is an ART to reading these magazines, and a guy needs to learn to mentally separate the hype from the reality... Separate the chaff from the grain... Again, GB, very well put... Oh... I don't think GB will mind me asking you to come read my magazine... The current edition has some funny stuff in it, and the cutest little kid with his first catfish mounted on a plaque you ever saw...  the July/Aug. edition will be all wild boar, and the Sept./Oct. edition will be all black and grizzly stories and related "stuff"..  here is the address:   http://www.accs.net/users/drquick/hfhonlinemagazine.html
I want to finish well
I want to end this race

Offline freddogs

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Contributor
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2003, 04:42:52 PM »
:D I enjoy The Trapper & Predator  Caller. It's one of the few magazines I still enjoy. At one time or another I've subcribed to most hunting magazines. For a time I would chamge magazines every year and try something different. I've had at least ten different subcriptions. I've read of bears.bows, bucks,and dogs. I still enjoy an occasional Pointing Dog Journal or Fur ,Fish, & Game and the NRA's Amercan Hunter fills any need I have for a general hunting type magazine.
I'm not as interested in exotic or expensive guided hunts as I once was. I realize I can't afford sheep hunts or other expensive guided hunts unless I win the lottery. My brain doesn't want any more technical knowledge on bows or ballistics than it already has.
There aren't many stories on cheap highly successfull do it yourself hunts in major magazines.You sometimes read about them in these forums.
The Trapper & Predator Caller has some stories about things I can go do .By regular people not that much better outfitted than myself.

Offline Hcliff

• Avid Poster
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2003, 05:22:05 AM »
I get a few rags and have been only consistantly reading rifle, handloader and sucessfull hunter.  I still get guns and ammo and handguns but there article have been very weak lately.  (I think it got bad when the family sold out to the big publishing companyand the attitude changed )  I can still pick up a magazine from the 80's Guns and Ammo and learn something (from when the family still owned it).  They didn't have the "new and greatest" 45 gov't style evry month (Don't get me wrong I love the Gov't 45 but how many do I have to buy a year according to these mags?)  It is something that they do sell out.  When TC came out woth it Encore my Dad was asking me to bring over my mag to read about it and ther were very few in depth articles on it and it was a new pistol.  Same thing has happen with the 480 and now the S&W 500 mag.  all just beating around the bush trying not to offend anyone or the companies.  Terrible.  I have learned more on handloading my 480 form friends on the net like yourselves reading this than all the rags combined.  I have never seen a artlcle written on that subject .  A newer cartridge with little data out there , now why would they want to write an article about that and teach someone something.  Very few article are  in depth to help or enlighten someone.  I would like to see better written mags too.  Lots of product and info that people are looking for and are not finding.  As for the Sports afield, Outdoor Life and the like  I gave them up years ago.  

Would a article about how different cast lube perform be a great article?  How about  a scope test that is scientific with light meters?  Or a bore cleaner test?  See these would offend some sponsors.

Oh well next gun show I need to look for some older Guns and Ammo with Seyfried and Keith in them and reread some articles.

Hcliff

Offline 444marlin

« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2003, 02:35:42 PM »
I have been reading handloader and Guns magazine and enjoy both I like John Taffins articles very much, he is rarely trying to sell anything "new" most of his articles are about guns or cartridges that have been around awhile and usually are not manufactured any more.

Offline Frog123

• Contributor
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2003, 09:47:28 PM »
I subscribe to Fur-Fish-Game(one of the better all around mags in my opinion), Tn. Fish and Game, Deer and Deer Hunting and Traditional Bowhunter, along with Turkey Call and Ducks Unlimited. From time to time I buy Rifle, Successful Hunter,  Predator, Backpacker and Handloader off the stand. Around here the local High School sells magazine subscriptions every year as part of their fund drive. I kind of find it hard to say "no" to a kid willing to go door to door these days, not make a dime, and only ask that I renew my subscriptions with him or her instead of mailing in the renewal reminder card received from the publisher.

I too, like most of you also have subscribed to "the big three" but recently have had a hard time swallowing their recomendations and equipment evaluations. Especially with titles like "Best bargain so and so's for 2003" only to find that prices of these items are more than I make in a month, sometime's two. That and not being able to read an article without it sounding like a continuous product endorsement or advertisement instead of a "How to" or a "Jim and I went hunting story" What really did me in is when a certain "Rag Writer" in his last article made some pretty harsh comments concerning internet sites such as this one and the users who visit and contribute to such sites.  He essentialy implied that some items were destined to fail due to negativism received and poor advice given and spread by those who use these sites where he basicaly felt that the users were not qualified to do either and only did such by hiding by ficticious ego driven user names.

WHEW! Now that I got that off my chest. There's my 0.02.

Frog
 :D
Well, it seemed like a good idea at the time....ES

Offline X-man

« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2003, 03:46:54 PM »
I know what you guys are talking about. I think at one time I used to subscribe to something like 8-10 outdoor/hunting/shooting magazines. I've gotten so sick of all the commercialism that I've let all of my subscriptions run-out. The only one I now take is Canada's Outdoor Sportsman which I receive as part of my memebership in the National Firearm's Association (basically Canada's version of the NRA, only we don't enjoy the same membership or war chest as them). It is a very well written magazine and has a good mix of hunting/technichal/fishing stories from across Canada. Outdoors Canada is also okay, but not spectacular.

I used to love Guns & Ammo, Shooting Times, Rifle, Handloader, Petersen's Hunting, Rifle Shooter, Guns, Gun World and a couple of others and actually bought subscriptions for all. However, fancy page lay-outs and computer graphics can't make up for crappy content. Anyone notice that the fonts have gotten bigger and there are more photos these days?

Now I usually pick and choose my magazines that I buy at my local corner store (support local business, not big chains like Barnes & Noble or Chapters/Indigo: all of which are anti-gun) I regularly buy Handloader, mostly for the casting stuff. I still buy Shooting Times pretty regularly, and like Mike Venturino's stuff. Guns & Ammo is rarely purchased anymore. Hate the new lay out and graphics. Usually just read Jeff Coopers stuff while browsing and maybe the occasional decent article, then put it back on the rack.

Guns & Gun World do not appear to be as bad, but not worth a full time subscription. I buy Fur-Fish-Game now and then, since my Father and I trap as a part-time hobby. Rifle is still okay, but not of the same quality it once was.

Petersens publications haven't been the same since Primedia bought them out. Probably the final nail in the coffin was that 2-3 month period when just about every magazine was filled with articles on the .17HMR, either the ammo or new guns chambered for it. God, how sick was I of that. Don't get me wrong, I fully applaud Hornady for doing a lot for North American shooters by developing new rounds/loads and for bringing back old favorites, plus manufacturing affordable brass in old military calibers like 6.5 Carcano...But not everyone has a need or interest in a .17 rimfire that isn't much good for anything beyond 50-100 yards, except punching holes in paper.

I think it is really sad to see so many great magazines decline like they have. I think that they've just lost touch with their primary audience. Sure Swarovski makes fantastic scopes, but who can afford to drop mega $$$ for one or pay a couple of thousand for a new hunting rifle? How about doing reviews of gear/optics/guns that real guys actually buy in the real world. When you're buying your first/new deer rifle, you go to Wal-Mart, or your local gunsmith or up here in Canada, Canadian Tire. You're interested in a quality, out of the box decent firearm that doesn't cost you four months salary. Same goes for binoculars and scopes. There are a lot more Bushnell and Tasco scopes and binoculars in the field today than there are Zeiss, Swarovski, or Leica. Even though I believe that you should purchase the absolute best pair of binoculars you can afford (i.e., spend more on binos than scope if you're on a limited budget) most guys have to think twice before buying a binocular with a price tag over a couple of hundred bucks. In fact, I'd hazard a guess that there are litterally millions of pairs of $50-$100 Bushnell/Tasco binos taking to the field this Fall. Wouldn't a review of the best and worst "affordable" binos, scopes, rifles, shotguns be of far more practical use that the latest custom offering from Lazzeroni Arms? I briefly considered buying a 7.82 Warbird, until I checked ammo prices and saw that 20 rounds was on sale for $159.95 CDN. Even though I'm a reloader, I didn't even bother to look for a component brass source. There is nothing  that Warbird can do that my Remington 700 or Winchester Model 70 can't do just as well. It is high time magazine publishers figured this out again.
"...Only accurate rifles are interesting."

- Colonel Townsend Whelen