Author Topic: .44 SPL for Personal Defense  (Read 1097 times)

Offline Devy55

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Avid Poster
.44 SPL for Personal Defense
« on: March 13, 2008, 12:00:31 PM »
I'm considering getting a wheel gun as another member of my personal defense arsenal.  I currently have the following:

Taurus 605 .357mag (which my wife uses .38+p corbons)
Bersa Thunder .380
Beretta PX4 .40 S&W.

My wife likes her Taurus and the other day, told me to get my own so I'd stop taking hers. 

I was thinking about getting .44 SPL, as an alternative to the .357, after reading that its ballistics are similar to a .45 ACP.  Supposedly, the 44 has very good penetration and knockdown for personal protection, with less over-penetration and collateral damage than the .357.   It's also reported to be more pleasant to shoot than the .357mag, even though recoil hasn't been a problem for me.

Of coarse, the trade-off is that .44 ammo is a little harder to obtain than .38 or .357.

Any ideas, suggestions, or comments?

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
  • Trade Count: (58)
  • A good woman, nice bike and fine guns!
Re: .44 SPL for Personal Defense
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2008, 07:28:36 AM »
I have considered the same thing for some time.  The problem I think you will have is finding a suitable revolver unless you don't mind a S&W N frame... which I think is to big for my hands and not easy to conceal.  AFA I'm concerned the S&W M-696 is the Holy Grail and about as hard to find.  So I'm looking at a Taurus 44 Mag with a medium frame and 2 inch barrel.
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Support your local US Military Vets Motorcycle Club

Offline Devy55

• Avid Poster
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2008, 07:44:28 AM »
I'm considering the small Taurus as well. 

To have more options I'm looking at both .44 SPL frames, and .44 Mag frames from all the manufacturers.  Both will shoot the .44 SPL.  I don't really see a need for the mag, and don't want to pay the extra cost, but at least it'll provide more choices.

I'm going to a gun show this weekend and I'm hoping I'll find something when I'm cruising the tables.

Offline caster54

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2008, 08:06:51 AM »
I own an older Charter Arms and have been pleased with it. It groups 2"-3" @ 25 yards and 2" left. Load is 250 gr 429421 over Unique to 750 fps. A little more than a 1911 45 acp. I have not shot a newer one, my plinking loads are a 215 gr bullet @ 700 fps. This gun is not shot often just enough to know that all is well with it.

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2008, 09:17:05 AM »
I think you are going to run into the same problem with the Taurus as a S&W.  That is if you want a medium (Taurus) or "L" frame (S&W), they ain't makin them no mo!  I found a dealer who has some of the medium frame Taurus models, but we've got a gun show here tomorrow also and I'm gonna see what's available there before I order one from him.   ;)
Richard
Former Captain of Horse, keeper of the peace and interpreter of statute.  Currently a Gentleman of leisure.
Nemo me impune lacessit

Offline tc scout

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
  • Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2008, 07:08:27 AM »
The S&W web site is showing a model 396 night guard in 44 special. Stated as an alloy frame with a stainless cylinder. I have a 396 mountain lite, it is a very nice shooting gun. This newer version of the 396 is heavier than the mountain lite but probably would still make a fine carry gun.  I think it said it was a little over 24oz.
The strongest reason for the
people to retain the right to keep and bear arms
is, as a last resort, to protect themselves
against tyranny in government.

Thomas Jefferson

Offline 44 Man

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2008, 07:44:23 AM »
I have to say that I have owned 3 Charter .44's and have been pleased with all of them.  Good, reliable guns that have stood up well for me.  Charter seems to get some bad press, but I have owned 7 of them and not had a lick of trouble from any of them.  I love cast bullets, but I have found the 44's to be extremely accurate with jacked hollow point bullets.  I carry Blazer H.P. and practice with the same bullet over a hefty dose of Unique.  I really enjoy my Charter .44 spl.  44 Man

You are never too old to have a happy childhood!

Offline Devy55

• Avid Poster
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2008, 11:52:55 AM »
I went to the gun show this weekend and was lucky to find what i was looking for.

I bought a blued, Taurus model 445 in 44 SPL with a 2 inch barrel.  It's slightly larger than my wife's model 605 .357, but not by much.

It was a used trade, but doesn't look like it had more than a box of shells through it.  The owner decided he'd rather have an automatic instead, and traded it of.

I got to the table right afterward and checked out the gun.  Nice & clean, muzzle and crown look good, hammer and tansfer bar properly centered, cylinder and bore is good with no wear.  Just looks like a safe queen.

Got it in the original box and manual, plus an new uncle mike holster, and no tax, for $300 cash.

Wachatink?  Fair deal?

Offline AtlLaw

• Moderators
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2008, 05:33:38 PM »
I guess so, 'specially since you have a hard time finding ANY medium frame 44!  At least I do... I'm gonna order the 44 Mag 2" ported medium frame (5 shot) stainless I located tomorrow.  The dealer wants $389 as I remember and I'll have to add shipping and a transfer fee to that.  'course he said he had a blue steel model for $339 but I want a stainless.  I would have bought that 445 in a heartbeat!
Richard
Nemo me impune lacessit

Offline kennisondan

• Trade Count: (7)
  • A Real Regular
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2008, 05:16:37 PM »
I am sorely tempted by the charter 44 special...the 45 1911 kimber is awful good, too, though, so I continue to sit and think..
dk

Offline Ghugly

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2008, 04:52:41 AM »
I am sorely tempted by the charter 44 special...the 45 1911 kimber is awful good, too, though, so I continue to sit and think..
dk

I shoot and carry a 1911 and a Bulldog and I load for both.  I find both to be comfortable and comforting.  Few will argue about the .45acp's usefulness as a defense cartridge and the .44 special, depending on the load, is every bit its equal. 

It took a while, but I was finally able to find a load that my Bulldog likes.  Then it took a while to find a couple of loading manuals that said that I was within sane pressure limits.  A 250gr Keith pushed to around 900fps shoots to point of aim with accuracy.  It is a real thumper of a round out of a 20oz revolver that makes a 1911 feel like a cap pistol.  I have moulds on order for 200gr bullets and I hope to find an accurate load for that as well.

I like both guns, but not for the same reasons.  The 1911 is a lot easier to shoot well, everyone and his brother makes stuff for it and, if you're into that sort of thing, good practice ammo is easy to get and not expensive.  The Bulldog is more of a challenge and ammo is harder to find and usually expensive.  Since I cast and load my own, ammo price and availability is not an issue. 

I shoot the Bulldog more.  I guess I'm still a kid at heart.  When I shoot the 1911 at the range, I get comments like, "nice gun."  When I shoot the Bulldog, the range mostly goes silent and I look down the row of people who shoot 9mm's, .40's and .45's staring at me.  I like to think that they're admiring me as "a real man, shooting a manly weapon."  The truth is, they're probably wondering "what kind of a fool would subject himself to that?"