Author Topic: Llama 9mm semi-auto  (Read 1317 times)

Offline DickelDawg

• Trade Count: (2)
Llama 9mm semi-auto
« on: January 30, 2008, 02:38:39 PM »
When my Dad passed away, he left me a Llama 9mm semi-automatic pistol. Is Llama out of business or are spare magazines, etc. just hard to find? I haven't seen any advertisements in quite a while for them. It's heavy and doesn't shoot all that well but I thought if I tinkered with a handload it would get better. It jams sometimes after firing first round in the magazine. Is this typical of the Llama or is it something I can remedy?
"'Tis a far better place I go to than I've ever been."
"'Tis a far, far better rest I go to than I've ever known."

The older I get....the better I was.

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (10)
Re: Llama 9mm semi-auto
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2008, 03:11:17 PM »
Not one of the better made guns, though they work sometimes.  I expect they are no longer imported.
If you like, please enjoy some of my hunt pics at:

http://public.fotki.com/DrDougRx

If you leave a comment, please leave your GB screen name so that I can reply back!

Offline moxgrove

• GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2008, 06:06:28 PM »

Offline Savage

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2008, 12:42:23 AM »
I still see parts and magazines for the Llamas at gun shows. From time to time I even see the guns. Don't think hand loading will solve your performance problems with this pistol. A new mag spring might help the function problem you mentioned. It might be of more value to you as a keepsake than a shooter.
Good Luck!
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2008, 12:48:49 AM »
DickleDawg:  I believe those handguns have been long out of production.  Parts may be available from some of the different parts suppliers, including some of our sponsors. 

Aftermarket magazines are available from different sources - again, check with some of our sponsors and/or check out the latest Shotgun News for aftermarket magazine adds.  You may also need a new set of springs for that oldie and you can most likely find them at Wolff Springs (they are on the net). 

A lot of those old 1911 look-a-likes were made for the foreign military market and should function properly with ball ammo, which is what they were designed for.  I would suggest a really good cleaning, a couple of new magazines and some new springs and you just might have yourself a good, inexpensive house gun.  HTH.  Mikey.

Offline 44 Man

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2008, 03:38:32 AM »
Ditto what Mickie said!  While I have never owned a Llama 9mm, I did own and carry a .45 for several years.  It was a well make gun that did a decient job.  I think you have tired springs more than anything else.  When ever a semi-auto malfunctions, the FIRST thing you try is a new magazine or new magazine spring and recoil spring in the pistol.  Good luck with that gun.  I have thought of buying one of the old Star BM's that have surfaced lately.  44 Man
You are never too old to have a happy childhood!

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2008, 01:01:28 PM »
Hey 44,

Funny you should say that about the star.  I was always looking for a BKM, the lw to the BM.  I've also owned and carried a PD for years, was my favorite drugstore gun.  It was lighter than the detonics I also owned and was a bit more reliable after a throat job.  Only one complaint, every once in a while, the star would throw an empty srtaignt back and bean me on the forehead and draw blood.  Almost developed a flinch worring about it!!

If you leave a comment, please leave your GB screen name so that I can reply back!

Offline 44 Man

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2008, 03:46:57 AM »
Hey Drdougrx!  The PD was my main carry gun for many years and I shot a lot of (casual) IPSC with it back in the day.  The only reason I ever replaced it (with a Lt. wt. Officers) was that the 'square' corners on the front strap bugged me.  I should have taken a file to them and rounded it off nicely like a Colt frontstrap.  Mine was very reliable and a good shooter and I liked it very much.  It too had the irritating habit of droping emptys on my head occasionally.  I thought at the time it might just be my extractor.   Mine had broken once and it was taking forever to get the new part so my gunsmith made one from stainless steel.  Glad you enjoyed yours as I did.  Yes, I think one of the BKM's would be a neat gun.  I have lots of 9mm and nothing to shoot it in, so I'm always trading some off to my friend Mikie for the occasional gunsmith job.  44 Man
You are never too old to have a happy childhood!

Offline Mikey

• GBO Supporter
  • Moderators
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2008, 03:09:03 PM »
44 Man:  you have ammo???????  How may I help you.............................. Mikey.

Offline drdougrx

• GBO Supporter
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2008, 03:17:45 AM »
Wish I lived near you guys......I actually still have recoil buffers for the PD in my parts box.

Offline cybin

• Trade Count: (25)
  • Contributor
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2008, 05:12:08 PM »
I've have had a Llama .380 since 1969--picked one  up just before shipping out for Vietnam, also picked up a new one in the early 90's, both work very well--thing I liked about them is that I can mix up the ammo in the clip at they function with no mishaps. A friend of mine in NC had a 9mm Llama that did the same thing--jam on the first round, cure-= ball ammo, new clip and light polish on the feed ramp.(don't get carried away) It never liked soft pointed bullets, but worked well with ball. Not a super accurate gun though. Their .45's were a lot better, better than my .380 as well, in the accuracy department.

Cybin

Offline trubluedog

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2008, 02:34:45 AM »
 I have had 3 Llamas, 2 .45's 1 9mm and my Dad has a .380. The 9mm is the only one I could never get to work right. My Dad's .380 was bought in the late 60's i learned to shoot handguns with it, he carried it for 20+ years and never had any problems. My 2 .45's were of mid 70's and mid 90's vintage, both worked with any ammo I fed them. The 9mm worked most of the time with FMJ, but wouldn't feed HP. Even after a bit of polishing. Conclusion, most Llama's worked, but a few were real lemons. Llama has been gone since 2001 or so, parts are still around, but pricey.