Author Topic: Charter Arms Experience??  (Read 2962 times)

Offline oldhunter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Avid Poster
Charter Arms Experience??
« on: June 12, 2003, 04:21:26 PM »
Looking for opinions on Charter Arms 44Spec. Bulldog or Bulldog Pug based on personal experience.  Would be used as carry gun.

Offline Dreams_of_Guns

Charter Arms
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2003, 04:53:21 PM »
I have no experience with the Charter Arms (Charter 2000) 44 BullDog Pug, but I can tell you about the Charter 2000 Undercover 38 Special in stainless. The two guns are basically the same in diffrent calibers. I bought the Undercover 38 about two years ago and have put hundreds of rounds through it. It has held up pretty good. Basically it is a good design, a very light gun and easy to carry and conceil, the grip is hard rubber and the gun feels good in the hand. The cylinder got some shake after a couple of hundred rounds, but it still lines up ok and shoots fine. There is a problem with the steel pins working their way out, so you have to keep a close watch on them and push them back in when they start to work out, some locktite would probably help that but I havn't tried it yet. Also the screw that holds the hammer will come lose at odd times, so you have to watch that too, locktite would help there too. All in all not a bad gun for the $220 that I paid for it. But next time I would go the $150 more and get a Ruger SP101 in 357 Magnum.
 :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
Let a man shoot your gun and he will shoot for a day, teach a man to shoot and he will have a lifetime hobby that takes up loads of money and makes the wife mad as hell. But its worth it!

Offline Savage

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2003, 09:51:05 AM »
I have an old "Undercover" that is some 25 yrs old. It needs new springs and the front sight fell off years ago, but it still goes bang. A friend of mine bought a "Pug" in 44spl about three months ago. He had problems right out of the box with the cylinder latch not releasing the cylinder. I'm sure he could have sent it back and Charter would have made it good. Just the same he sold it. He was a bit dissapointed with the overall performance.
Stay Safe,
Savage
An appeaser is one who feeds the crocodile hoping it will eat him last,

Offline NM Brushpopper

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2003, 09:18:42 AM »
Old Hunter,

Back in the early nineties bought an old Bulldog with a barrel shroud, shooting found that all rounds but the Winchester silvertips would jump crimp and bind up the action. The shroud shot loose at about the second box of ammo, which explained the poor accuracy, the front sight is on the shroud. I eventually tig welded the shroud to the frame, always shot Winchester factory and never had any more problems.

The best comparble competitors I have found to be dicontinued Taurus 431 and Rossi 971. These revolvers can be found found on the used gun market and fulfill this niche very nicely, with a little extra weight traded off for better quality .

My all time favorite would be a 3" Ruger GP100  5 shot .44 special, oh I wish they would make it!

Offline denver*c

.44 PUG
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2003, 06:03:44 PM »
I bought one in the early 80's, NO problems at all. I did change the grips to Pachmeyer neopreme, helped alot with the recoil. I love to shoot it and carried alot due to the small compact design. Seems like rounds are harder to find.......guess I havent looked hard enough. One thing about it if the lead doesnt stop an attacker......the sound and percussion WILL!!
denver*C

Offline Dan Chamberlain

• Contributor
Charter?
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2003, 01:13:07 AM »
I have an undercover .38 that's close to 25 years old or older and a Bulldog from about the same era.  No problems at all.  Basically they are 50 round per year guns for me and they spend a lot of time in my briefcase or fannypack.  Now let me tell you, I'm a man who can purchase any gun I want and I've passed a lot of Smith .38s because the Charter locked up tighter.  Their system of lockup is different in that while there might be a little play in the cylinder when the gun is at rest, when the trigger is pulled the action is locked tighter, at least it is with the two guns I own.  Charter quit doing the barrel shroud thing a few years ago and the barrels are now one piece.  Now I don't doubt that a lot of shooting will wear these puppies out.  They are carry a lot - shoot a little - guns because of their weight.  For a night-stand piece, I'd recommend them.  But if I was going for a 1000 rounds a year, I'd pass!

Dan C

Offline Cabin4

• Avery H. Wallace
  • GBO Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Out West
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2003, 07:27:11 AM »
I would not confuse Charter Arms with todays Charter 2000. Guns made years ago by Charter Arms are not the same exact guns made by Charter 2000. Although the model names are the same (Bulldog, Pug, Undercover, ect.) and the company name is similar. charter 2000 is a differant company. They purchased the rights to the design of the old models that used to be made by the now "out of business" Charter Arms.

As an example, the 44special Bulldog cannot handle heavy loads. Its the only 44special on the market today that comes with this warning from the manufacture and the ammo companies. This should tell you something about the gun !

I would stay away from them. Spend a few more bucks a get a used Ruger, S&W or even a Tarus. In the long run, I think you would be better served.
Avery Hayden Wallace
Obama Administration: A corrupt criminal enterprise of bold face liars.
The States formed the Union. The Union did not form the States. States Rights!
GET US OUT OF THE UN. NO ONE WORLD GOVERNMENT!
S.A.S.S/NRA Life Member/2nd Amendment Foundation
CCRKBA/Gun Owners of America
California Rifle & Pistol Association
Ron Paul Was Right!
Long Live the King! #3

Offline Gatofeo

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2003, 07:53:31 AM »
I have a Charter Arms Bulldog .44 I bought used, but nearly new, in 1979. Carried it for years.
My favorite load is the Speer 240 gr. lead semi-wadcutter over 6.0 grains of Unique. It's a stiff load in the little Bulldog, because of recoil, but accurate.
Or, I use a hard-cast Lyman 429424 which weighs about 250 grains, over 5.5 grains of Unique.
Forget hollowpoints and softpoints and all those "trick" pistol bullets. The Bulldog can't generate enough velocity to reliably expand hollowpoints and such. You're better off with a bullet with a blunt or flat face, to transfer its energy to the target.
Whatever your load, ensure it has a hard crimp. The little .44 Bulldog recoils like catching a brick from a moving vehicle.
A hard crimp will keep the bullets in the case from shifting forward and tying up the gun.
The Bulldog is also a very good snake gun, when loaded with the .44 shotshells sold by Speer. Each shot capsule carries about half as lead shot as a .410 shell; at close range it's wicked. Beyond about 20 feet, the shot pattern opens considerably.
I live in the remote Utah desert. If I see a snake, I go around him. Snakes are quite beneficial and eat tons of rodents and bothersome insects in their lifetime. But the .44 shotload makes a good pest load at close range if a small animal or snake becomes dangerous or pestiferous.
I just don't shoot animals indiscriminately; that's reprehensible.
Anyway, DEFINITELY get the Pachmayr rubber grips. The wooden grips on the Bulldog are uncomfortable and will HURT when you fire stiff loads.
Even the factory lead load with its 246 gr. lead roundnosed bullet is a knuckle-rapper with the wooden grips.
And please, resist the temptation to "Magnumize" the little Bulldog. It's not designed for it. Recoil is mighty stiff with the factory loads. I can't imagine why you'd want to have more.
Remember, if you carry it for defense, you may not hit or stop your opponent with the first shot. That means, you have a second to get off a quick second, shot.
Loads with heavy recoil will prevent you from getting off a quick, second shot if you need one. A heavy, .44 bullet at even 700 feet per second, at close range, will stop an opponent if it has a good, flat face. This means use the semi-wadcutter design.
I have two HKS speedloaders for my Bulldog. They're great for carrying a quick reload, rattle free. However, semiwadcutter bullets may hang their sharp edge on the edge of the chamber during a quick reload.  This may cost precious seconds in a life-or-death situation.
For your reload, it's better to carry a jacketed hollowpoint with a gently sloping nose, or roundnosed lead bullets. They glide into the chamber. They don't stop as well as a flat-faced bullet but I'd rather have the revolver loaded quickly then fumble trying to seat cartridges while an opponent is drawing down on you.
For light practice loads, use the Speer .433 lead ball over 3.0 grains of Unique for about 450 fps. This 120 gr. ball should be fired into sand, soft dirt or a box filled with newspapers. It may bounce back from a rubber tire or hard, flat surfaces.
Bell the case slightly so as not to shave the ball. Seat the ball with its circumference slightly below the case neck. No need to crimp; just straighten out the neck from its belling.
Then, put a drop of Lee Liquid Alox where the ball meets the case wall and rotate the case so the drop of lubricant runs around the ball/case wall seam. Place the case upright and allow to dry overnight.
Or, you can take a bit of bullet lubricant and smear it over the front of the seated bullet. I like the Lee Liquid Alox method because it's faster.
That's all I can think of right now, concerning the Charter Arms Bulldog .44 Special.
It's a nice little revolver and very useful. Have fun with it.
"A hit with a .22 is better than a miss with a .44."

Offline Charlie

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2003, 04:00:57 AM »
oldhunter,
I've owned the .44 Pug for several months now (yes, it's a "new" model) and am really impressed with all aspects.  I immediately bought some Barami Hip Grips for it so it will slide into my waistband easily.  This gun shoots about 2" at 30 feet and hits point of aim.  As others have said, a good flat point bullet is best.  I recommend it.  Remember, this gun is designed for only one thing, self-defense (snakes, no legs or two legs).  This is, as said earlier, a gun that is carried a lot and shot very little.  It's light and comfy with the hip grips and I forget I have it on after a while (normal summertime dress in the South Texas heat is shorts and T-shirts).

Offline L-Roy

• Avid Poster
Charter 2000
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2003, 02:34:38 PM »
Have a Bull Dog Pug, in .44Spec. on me as I type this.  It is a good carry piece, and is shot monthly, with sensible loads.  It  is holding up fine, with no undue wear or loosening.

Carry Speer Gold Dot hollowpoints.  They will do the job!  Don't try to hotrod it, as it is just a small, 5 shot made for carry, and not a .44Mag!
I am, therefore, I think.

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas

Don M.

Offline 44 Man

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2003, 08:47:31 AM »
Great gun!  I have had 2 .38s/2 .44s/2 .22s over the years and have loved every one.  Good lightweight durable gun.  Because of the weight, it kicks with heavier loads, but any of the new 200gr hp factory load will do the job.  For the guy who has trouble unlatching the cylinder-swing the cyl out and look at the screw in the center of the recoil plate.  Adjust this so it is flush with the plate when the latch is pushed forward-end of troubles.  A little locktite will also help.  My "house gun" is an old .44 target with the 4"bbl and adjustable sights.   Stay safe    44 Man
You are never too old to have a happy childhood!

Offline lostone1413

• Avid Poster
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2003, 01:11:50 PM »
I had a bull dog 44 special years ago I liked the gun but need to get the feel of it has a lot more recoil then my 44mag being a snub nose. But now I have a 357 and prefer it it's cheaper to shoot using 38specials it's a Ruger GP100 might want to look at that

Offline v-man

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Contributor
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2003, 10:37:29 AM »
I have owned and shot my little "Son of Sam" .44 Bulldog for about 25 yrs. Recoil is stout but not a problem with the Pach. grips. I do not carry it because as noted earlier the alloy frame is not made for hot loads. I personally prefer a carry gun that can give me at least 400 lbs of energy and the stubby Bulldog won't quite get there. It is very accurate and makes a good accessory in my tackle box.