Author Topic: Elite 4200 or Nikon Monarch?  (Read 1107 times)

Offline Barrycuda

• Trade Count: (0)
Elite 4200 or Nikon Monarch?
« on: March 18, 2008, 07:52:48 AM »
Looking at the Bushnell 4200 4-16x40 and the Nikon Monarch 4-16x42. Both the same price. Any comments on either? Will be on a .270. Thanks, Barry

Offline Dave in WV

Re: Elite 4200 or Nikon Monarch?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2008, 11:38:43 AM »
I don't know why you want such a big scope for your .270. By all means get what you want. Both have adjustable parallax and to me that's a PIA for hunting if your ranges can change rapidly (brush to open country). Over 10x -12x and you need the adjustable parallax but over 10x and you can get mirage effect. IMHO a 3x9 or 2x10 would be a better choice for deer/hog/bear hunting.
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
--Albert Einstein

Offline bigjeepman

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2008, 03:02:30 PM »
I have the Bushnell and just looked through the Monarch at Sportsman's Warehouse as I am getting ready to put a 3-9 or 3-10 Bushnell 3200 Elite on a .308 I just bought. For me, the Bushnell has  much more going for it. It just excels in my opinion but you need to go look through both and decide yourself. I also compared a Burris ballistic-plex against the 3200 and again, there was no comparison. I am not pro-Bushnell as I have many different kinds of scopes but these were chosen side by side comparisons and Bushnell won out.

Good luck and good shooting...

bjm
5 Rules for Happiness
free your heart from hatred ... free your mind from worries ... live simply ... give more ... expect less

Offline *ROCK-MAN*

• Avid Poster
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2008, 06:08:29 AM »
I very recently was facing this same question and after getting opinions at optics talk and going and looking through both I went with the bushnell mainly because of the raingaurd coating they offer.Both had exceptional glass.Just recieved the Bushnell Elite 4200 4-16x40 new in box off e-bay for $350 shipped.It's going on my wife's 270.If weight is an issue for you you may want to do a side by side.The Bushnell is long and heavy but is an excelent scope.
Good Luck either way,
Rock
Walk softly,keep the wind in your face and watch your backtrail.

Offline victorcharlie

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2008, 02:53:22 AM »
Another thing to consider, the Nikon has the fast focus "European" eye piece, and the Bushnell has the conventional eye piece which adjust the focus much more slowly.  This matters more for eye glass wearers.

If I'm not mistaken, the Bushnell's are assembled in Japan...........the country of manufacture is listed under the turrets on the bottom of the scope......Nikon's are no longer assembled in Japan. 

Both are really nice scopes and which ever you choose you can do so with confidence.
"Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. Tolerance in the face of tyranny is no virtue."
Barry Goldwater

Offline jnclement

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2008, 12:25:56 PM »
I'd buy whichever had the most internal adjustment. Probably the Nikon, the older 4200s don't have much, but the glass is great.

Offline bluebayou

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2008, 07:01:52 PM »
Plus 1 on the Nikon being made in the Philippines.  I was pissed to find that my new Monarch was made in Phillippines and not Japan.  I hope that it is as good as the Japanese ones are reported to be.

Have 2 good Philippine Simmons scopes, nothing against their assembly, but not quite the same reputation. 

Offline damascusblade5

• Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2008, 09:23:54 PM »
 After a bad experience with the Bushnell Elite Firefly, and no support at all from Bushnell, I will stick to Nikon
As my good friend William Lee Golden sings"Thank God For Kids"